* Glossary for bootstrapping Git translations
@ 2012-04-30 10:44 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2012-04-30 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Byrial Jensen, Ralf Thielow, Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson,
	Vincent van Ravesteijn, Marco Sousa, Peter Krefting, Xin Jiang,
	Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy

Over the weekend I started the Icelandic translation of Git beyond the
current test messages that are there in po/is.po already.

I find that the most difficult part of getting started is getting all
the core terminology of Git straight, i.e. gathering and classifying
all the jargon involved and translating that. Once that's done the
rest of the translation is relatively straightforward.

So with a lot of help from others I've started a glossary for English
-> Icelandic Git terms hosted at:

    https://raw.github.com/avar/git/avar/is-po/po/is.README

I think having something like this in po/GLOSSARY or in a similar
location would be very useful to get new translators started. I'm
CC-ing the other translation leads so they can look the English core
terms I've come up with over, and suggest new ones.

If we can get together a good glossary then a new translation of Git
would be pretty much:

 1. Create a new $lang.po file
 2. Copy GLOSSARY over to $lang.GLOSSARY
 3. Try to translate all the core terms
 4. Once you've got that straight translate the rest of $lang.po

* Re: Glossary for bootstrapping Git translations
@ 2012-04-30 11:29 ` Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
From: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy @ 2012-04-30 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
	Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson, Vincent van Ravesteijn,

2012/4/30 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab@gmail.com>:
> I think having something like this in po/GLOSSARY or in a similar
> location would be very useful to get new translators started. I'm
> CC-ing the other translation leads so they can look the English core
> terms I've come up with over, and suggest new ones.

Just checking. Have you looked at Documentation/glossary-content.txt?
That and this glossary may not be exactly the same, but you should be
able to copy some terms from there (e.g. pathspec), or even add some
back.
--
Duy

* Re: Glossary for bootstrapping Git translations
@ 2012-04-30 13:17 ` Jiang Xin
From: Jiang Xin @ 2012-04-30 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
	Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson, Vincent van Ravesteijn,
	Marco Sousa, Peter Krefting,
	Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy, Junio C Hamano

2012/4/30 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab@gmail.com>:
> Over the weekend I started the Icelandic translation of Git beyond the
> current test messages that are there in po/is.po already.

I just created new branch 'maint' in git-po repository on GitHub,
and generated two different 'git.pot' files yesterday. The
recommended workflow for a new language:

1. After fork the git-l10n/git-po on GitHub, checkout the 'maint'
    branch, or create a new tracking branch based on it.

2. Create your initial XX.po file, tranlate, commit, and push to
    your own fork.

3. Send a GitHub pull request to the 'maint' branch of git-l10n/git-po.

4. The l10n coordinator merge your commit to the 'maint' branch,
    so your translation may appear in git next maintainence version,
    i. e. 1.7.10.1.

5. The l10n coordinator will do a second merge, so new commit in
    'maint' branch will merge back to the 'master' branch.

6. Update your XX.po in 'master' branch, translate, commit, and
     send new pull request.

7. The l10n coordinator will merge your updates to 'master' branch,
     and your translations will come with git 1.7.11.

L10N team leaders may already noticed these changes, as I @ all
team leaders in the commit comments.

* https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po/commit/cd1e74874049c8ba8e510f2fae064e510cccd32b#commitcomment-1271645
* https://github.com/git-l10n/git-po/commit/df3ef6fb98a276fa62bbcf129d40307b00253588#commitcomment-1271639

--
Jiang Xin

* Re: Glossary for bootstrapping Git translations
@ 2012-04-30 14:20   ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2012-04-30 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 13:29, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/30 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab@gmail.com>:
>> I think having something like this in po/GLOSSARY or in a similar
>> location would be very useful to get new translators started. I'm
>> CC-ing the other translation leads so they can look the English core
>> terms I've come up with over, and suggest new ones.
>
> Just checking. Have you looked at Documentation/glossary-content.txt?
> That and this glossary may not be exactly the same, but you should be
> able to copy some terms from there (e.g. pathspec), or even add some
> back.

I hadn't seen it recently. I think I'll incorporate some things from it.

In practice translators don't have to worry about many of those terms,
so I think there's some value in having another document for terms
they need to get straight to get a translation started.

* Re: Glossary for bootstrapping Git translations
@ 2012-04-30 15:47   ` Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason @ 2012-04-30 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiang Xin

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 15:17, Jiang Xin <worldhello.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/30 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab@gmail.com>:
>> Over the weekend I started the Icelandic translation of Git beyond the
>> current test messages that are there in po/is.po already.
>
> I just created new branch 'maint' in git-po repository on GitHub,
> and generated two different 'git.pot' files yesterday. The
> recommended workflow for a new language:
>
> 1. After fork the git-l10n/git-po on GitHub, checkout the 'maint'
>    branch, or create a new tracking branch based on it.
>
> 2. Create your initial XX.po file, tranlate, commit, and push to
>    your own fork.
>
> 3. Send a GitHub pull request to the 'maint' branch of git-l10n/git-po.
>
> 4. The l10n coordinator merge your commit to the 'maint' branch,
>    so your translation may appear in git next maintainence version,
>    i. e. 1.7.10.1.
>
> 5. The l10n coordinator will do a second merge, so new commit in
>    'maint' branch will merge back to the 'master' branch.
>
> 6. Update your XX.po in 'master' branch, translate, commit, and
>     send new pull request.
>
> 7. The l10n coordinator will merge your updates to 'master' branch,
>     and your translations will come with git 1.7.11.
>
> L10N team leaders may already noticed these changes, as I @ all
> team leaders in the commit comments.

Thanks for the workflow advice. I'll be funneling translations though
you once I'm happy enough with is.po. For now I'm still mulling over
how to translate a few remaining things.