* [QUESTION] 4331 support
@ 2011-08-22 11:16 Maxime Vincent
From: Maxime Vincent @ 2011-08-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Dear b43-list,

I'm sorry if this is a noobish question, or asking this kind of questions is
not done.
I'm not really familiar with dev mailing lists.
I'm new to kernel development, not new to linux.

I was wondering what the status of support for the 4331 wifi chipset was?
As I can see there's already quite some code for the 4331 chipset, but I
can't really make up from that if it's supposed to work or not, or maybe
partially?

I have compiled latest linux-next kernel including the b43 driver, extracted
firmware, but I can't seem to see an interface registering.
Only thing I can see in dmesg:
Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMNLS, Firmware-ID:  FW13 ]

Whereafter I expect it to load the firmware from /lib/firmware, but it
doesn't...

I'm running Arch Linux, with latest linux-next git kernel on a recent
Macbook Pro 8,1

I'm willing to help with anything that can help the development of this
driver.
Many thanks for any info you can provide me with!

Maxime Vincent
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [QUESTION] 4331 support
@ 2011-08-22 14:33 ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2011-08-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 13:16 +0200, Maxime Vincent wrote:
> I was wondering what the status of support for the 4331 wifi chipset was?
> As I can see there's already quite some code for the 4331 chipset, but I
> can't really make up from that if it's supposed to work or not, or maybe
> partially?

It is working well here, and has been for the last week or two.

I'm not sure if all the patches are pushed upstream into the
wireless-testing tree yet. Hopefully Rafa? will publish everything in a
git tree.

--
dwmw2
On 08/22/2011 09:33 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 13:16 +0200, Maxime Vincent wrote:
>> I was wondering what the status of support for the 4331 wifi chipset was?
>> As I can see there's already quite some code for the 4331 chipset, but I
>> can't really make up from that if it's supposed to work or not, or maybe
>> partially?
>
> It is working well here, and has been for the last week or two.
>
> I'm not sure if all the patches are pushed upstream into the
> wireless-testing tree yet. Hopefully Rafa? will publish everything in a
> git tree.

To expand a little on what David wrote, the tree at wireless-testing is ahead of
linux-next, and the published patches are even ahead of wireless-testing. The
situation is changing rapidly, but 4331 support is quite near.

Larry

* [QUESTION] 4331 support
@ 2011-08-22 14:50     ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2011-08-22 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 09:47 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> To expand a little on what David wrote, the tree at wireless-testing is ahead of
> linux-next, and the published patches are even ahead of wireless-testing. The
> situation is changing rapidly, but 4331 support is quite near.

That's the way it's currently managed, yes. But in fact a 'b43' git tree
wouldn't need to be based on wireless-testing most of the time, and
certainly wouldn't need to be based on linux-next.

It should be possible for it to be based on the latest release from
Linus.

--
dwmw2
> I'm sorry if this is a noobish question, or asking this kind of questions is
> not done.
> I'm not really familiar with dev mailing lists.
> I'm new to kernel development, not new to linux.
>
> I was wondering what the status of support for the 4331 wifi chipset was?
> As I can see there's already quite some code for the 4331 chipset, but I
> can't really make up from that if it's supposed to work or not, or maybe
> partially?
>
> I have compiled latest linux-next kernel including the b43 driver, extracted
> firmware, but I can't seem to see an interface registering.
> Only thing I can see in dmesg:
> Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMNLS, Firmware-ID:? FW13 ]

I'm going to clean HT-PHY (BCM4331) support in about a week, as David
wrote, it should be quite stable.

Most of the patches are already in wireless-next, I just need to test
that tree, see if everything was sent&applied correctly and drop
BROKEN from B43_PHY_HT.

If you're "brave" enough, you can:
1) Edit Kconfig and drop BROKEN from B43_PHY_HT
2) Edit dma.h and define B43_DMA_RINGMEMSIZE to "2 * PAGE_SIZE"
(or just wait a week).

I think I will start some b43 tree at git.kernel.org finally, but I
need to spend some time on learning merging & resolving problems.

--
Rafa?

* [QUESTION] 4331 support
@ 2011-08-23 11:40   ` Maxime Vincent
From: Maxime Vincent @ 2011-08-23 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Awesome guys,
thanks for the pointers, it worked! (i m sending this email using the b43
driver!)

I used the wireless-next git, and then additionally applied the "b43:
HT-PHY: allow writing longer tables with a single call" patch.
(and the ones in Rafal's last mail)

Thanks for the great support and fast answers!
Congratulations on hacking a driver like this together, I am impressed!

Best regards,
Maxime

@ 2011-08-27 12:08       ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2011-08-27 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> writes:

> On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 09:47 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>> To expand a little on what David wrote, the tree at wireless-testing is ahead of
>> linux-next, and the published patches are even ahead of wireless-testing. The
>> situation is changing rapidly, but 4331 support is quite near.
>
> That's the way it's currently managed, yes. But in fact a 'b43' git tree
> wouldn't need to be based on wireless-testing most of the time, and
> certainly wouldn't need to be based on linux-next.
>
> It should be possible for it to be based on the latest release from
> Linus.

But then it would not contain all the changes in wireless-testing.

--
Kalle Valo

* [QUESTION] 4331 support
@ 2011-08-27 12:09         ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2011-08-27 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 15:08 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> > It should be possible for it to be based on the latest release from
> > Linus.
>
> But then it would not contain all the changes in wireless-testing.

That is the point, yes.

--
dwmw2
> On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 15:08 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> > It should be possible for it to be based on the latest release from
>> > Linus.
>>
>> But then it would not contain all the changes in wireless-testing.
>
> That is the point, yes.

Then b43 would be out of sync from rest of wireless development, for
example everything that's happening in mac80211 etc. To me that sounds
bad.

But I'm sure I just missed the idea so I'll just shut up now :)

--
Kalle Valo

* [QUESTION] 4331 support
@ 2011-08-27 12:22             ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2011-08-27 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 15:15 +0300, Kalle Valo wrote:
> David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> writes:

> >> But then it would not contain all the changes in wireless-testing.
> >
> > That is the point, yes.
>
> Then b43 would be out of sync from rest of wireless development, for
> example everything that's happening in mac80211 etc. To me that sounds
> bad.

No, that's fine ? it's quite normal. The generic hardware support, like
BCM4331 and new PHY support, is much better off that way.

Where we are making intrusive changes to mac80211 that require changes
to all drivers simultaneously, we can still do those in wireless-testing
on top of the changes from the b43 tree.

(Or if there was a proper git tree with the core mac80211 changes, a b43
tree could also just pull from that tree. But that probably isn't
necessary.)

--
dwmw2