* Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-11-30 19:16 Jeff Clay
From: Jeff Clay @ 2021-11-30 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi, I am using the rtw89 driver for Realtek 8852AE in my Lenovo T14
AMD Gen2. I have obtained and installed this driver from source at
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89/tree/main I am having an issue where
the latency during a ping test to hosts on my LAN spikes to 200ms or
above. According to lwfinger, this is known and acceptable
https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89/issues/85  However, I am hoping I
may be able to work with you to resolve this issue as a tester.

* RE: Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-12-01  1:33 ` Pkshih
From: Pkshih @ 2021-12-01  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Hi, I am using the rtw89 driver for Realtek 8852AE in my Lenovo T14
> AMD Gen2. I have obtained and installed this driver from source at
> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89/tree/main I am having an issue where
> the latency during a ping test to hosts on my LAN spikes to 200ms or
> above. According to lwfinger, this is known and acceptable
> https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89/issues/85  However, I am hoping I
> may be able to work with you to resolve this issue as a tester.

We know this, and it is due to power saving; i.e. tradeoff between
latency and power saving. We are thinking how to improve it entirely.

--
Ping-Ke

* Re: Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-12-01 14:48   ` Jeff Clay
From: Jeff Clay @ 2021-12-01 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pkshih; +Cc: linux-wireless

Thank you for the information. Would the issue persist if I were to
disable wireless power management?

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 7:33 PM Pkshih <pkshih@realtek.com> wrote:

> [...]

* Re: Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-12-01 17:39     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2021-12-01 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Clay, Pkshih; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 12/1/21 08:48, Jeff Clay wrote:
> Thank you for the information. Would the issue persist if I were to
> disable wireless power management?

That is an easy experiment to try. Use the "disable_ps_mode=y' module option for
rtw89core.

Larry

* RE: Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-12-02  0:16       ` Pkshih
From: Pkshih @ 2021-12-02  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > Thank you for the information. Would the issue persist if I were to
> > disable wireless power management?
>
> That is an easy experiment to try. Use the "disable_ps_mode=y' module option for
> rtw89core.

Another way is to use 'iw wlan0 set power_save off'.

--
Ping-Ke

* Re: Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-12-02  1:42       ` Jeff Clay
From: Jeff Clay @ 2021-12-02  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Finger; +Cc: Pkshih, linux-wireless

Setting "options rtw89core disable_ps_mode=Y" in
/etc/modprobe.d/rtw89.conf didn't help.

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 11:39 AM Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net> wrote:

> On 12/1/21 08:48, Jeff Clay wrote:
> > Thank you for the information. Would the issue persist if I were to
> > disable wireless power management?
>
> That is an easy experiment to try. Use the "disable_ps_mode=y' module option for
> rtw89core.
>
> Larry

* Re: Latency spikes in rtw89
@ 2021-12-02  1:45         ` Jeff Clay