* ceph-disk vs keyvaluestore
@ 2014-09-29 23:48 Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-09-29 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: haomaiwang; +Cc: ceph-devel, mark.kirkwood

Hi Haomai,

Not sure if you saw

	http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/9580

which came from an issue Mark had getting ceph-disk to work with the
keyvaluestore backend.  I think the answer is to make a command
like

	ceph-osd -i 123 --check-needs-journal

to query whether the configured backend wants a journal backend.  That
would let ceph-disk skip the work.  Would need to be careful to
distinguish between errors and a true/false answer.

Any interest in wiring that up?
sage

* Re: ceph-disk vs keyvaluestore
@ 2014-09-30  2:23 ` Haomai Wang
From: Haomai Wang @ 2014-09-30  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Mark Kirkwood

No problem, I would like do it.

--
Best Regards,

Wheat

* Re: ceph-disk vs keyvaluestore
@ 2014-09-30  4:00   ` Haomai Wang
From: Haomai Wang @ 2014-09-30  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, Mark Kirkwood

Hi sage,

What do you think use existing ObjectStore::peek_journal_fsid
interface to detect whether journal needed.

KeyValueStore and MemStore could set passing argument "fsid" to zero
to indicate no journal.

--
Best Regards,

Wheat

* Re: ceph-disk vs keyvaluestore
@ 2014-09-30  4:05     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-09-30  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haomai Wang; +Cc: ceph-devel, Mark Kirkwood

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Haomai Wang wrote:
> Hi sage,
>
> What do you think use existing ObjectStore::peek_journal_fsid
> interface to detect whether journal needed.
>
> KeyValueStore and MemStore could set passing argument "fsid" to zero
> to indicate no journal.

I'm not sure it's a good fit... it's called on an existing store and tells
you something about it.  I would probably expect a zeroed fsid to mean
that the specified journal is empty or does not exist, not that it doesn't
need to exist.

What we need, on the other hand, is something that just tells us whether
we should create a journal...

@ 2014-10-01 23:46       ` Mark Kirkwood
From: Mark Kirkwood @ 2014-10-01 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, Haomai Wang; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 30/09/14 17:05, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Haomai Wang wrote:
>> Hi sage,
>>
>> What do you think use existing ObjectStore::peek_journal_fsid
>> interface to detect whether journal needed.
>>
>> KeyValueStore and MemStore could set passing argument "fsid" to zero
>> to indicate no journal.
>
> I'm not sure it's a good fit... it's called on an existing store and tells
> you something about it.  I would probably expect a zeroed fsid to mean
> that the specified journal is empty or does not exist, not that it doesn't
> need to exist.
>
> What we need, on the other hand, is something that just tells us whether
> we should create a journal...

And perhaps the "type" (probably not the right word) of journal:

- filestore: device or filesystem
- rocksdb: filesystem (wal directory)
- leveldb: none (I think)

FWIW, it looks like the log files for leveldb *could* benefit from being
placed somewhere else (e.g on faster storage). Is it worthwhile
suggesting to the leveldb devs?

Cheers

Mark

* Re: ceph-disk vs keyvaluestore
@ 2014-10-01 23:53         ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-10-01 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kirkwood; +Cc: Haomai Wang, ceph-devel

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> On 30/09/14 17:05, Sage Weil wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Haomai Wang wrote:
> > > Hi sage,
> > >
> > > What do you think use existing ObjectStore::peek_journal_fsid
> > > interface to detect whether journal needed.
> > >
> > > KeyValueStore and MemStore could set passing argument "fsid" to zero
> > > to indicate no journal.
> >
> > I'm not sure it's a good fit... it's called on an existing store and tells
> > you something about it.  I would probably expect a zeroed fsid to mean
> > that the specified journal is empty or does not exist, not that it doesn't
> > need to exist.
> >
> > What we need, on the other hand, is something that just tells us whether
> > we should create a journal...
> >

> And perhaps the "type" (probably not the right word) of journal:
>
> - filestore: device or filesystem
> - rocksdb: filesystem (wal directory)
> - leveldb: none (I think)

Hmm, good point.  Haomai added this as yes/no, maybe 'none' and 'device'
is a bit more flexible in case we add 'dir' in the future?

> FWIW, it looks like the log files for leveldb *could* benefit from being
> placed somewhere else (e.g on faster storage). Is it worthwhile suggesting to
> the leveldb devs?

Worth a shot, but don't hold your breath :)

@ 2014-10-02  5:25           ` Haomai Wang
From: Haomai Wang @ 2014-10-02  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Mark Kirkwood, ceph-devel

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2014, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

>> > I'm not sure it's a good fit... it's called on an existing store and tells
>> > you something about it.  I would probably expect a zeroed fsid to mean
>> > that the specified journal is empty or does not exist, not that it doesn't
>> > need to exist.
>> >
>> > What we need, on the other hand, is something that just tells us whether
>> > we should create a journal...
>> >

>> And perhaps the "type" (probably not the right word) of journal:
>>
>> - filestore: device or filesystem
>> - rocksdb: filesystem (wal directory)
>> - leveldb: none (I think)
>
> Hmm, good point.  Haomai added this as yes/no, maybe 'none' and 'device'
> is a bit more flexible in case we add 'dir' in the future?

Looks good to me. Any other points?

--
Best Regards,

Wheat