* Kernel modules packaged but not installed
@ 2019-11-03  9:21 Dimitris Tassopoulos
From: Dimitris Tassopoulos @ 2019-11-03  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all. I have a weird issue with the kernel modules not being installed in
the image and also not packaged.
I see the packages for individual "kernel-module-*.ipk" modules but the
"kernel-modules_*.ipk" is always
empty.

I'm also able to see the "modules-${MACHINE}.tgz" in DEPLOYDIR which has
all the modules in there, just fine.

In my image file I've also set this:
MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"

This is the kernel recipe:
https://gitlab.com/dimtass/meta-allwinner-hx/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-stable_4.19.bb

And this is the conf folder
https://gitlab.com/dimtass/meta-allwinner-hx/tree/master/conf

For some reason I can't figure out why modules are not ending up in the
image.

If I do it manually in a do_install_append like this:
do_install_append() {
    # Install kernel-modules
install -d ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}
    oe_runmake INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${D} modules_install
}

then it works, but I guess that shouldn't be the right way.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

* Re: Kernel modules packaged but not installed
@ 2019-11-06 16:20 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2019-11-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitris Tassopoulos; +Cc: Yocto Project Discussion

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 11:06 AM Dimitris Tassopoulos <dimtass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all. I have a weird issue with the kernel modules not being installed in the image and also not packaged.
> I see the packages for individual "kernel-module-*.ipk" modules but the "kernel-modules_*.ipk" is always
> empty.
>
> I'm also able to see the "modules-${MACHINE}.tgz" in DEPLOYDIR which has all the modules in there, just fine.
>
> In my image file I've also set this:
> MACHINE_ESSENTIAL_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS += "kernel-modules"

Have you tried something stronger than the RRECOMMENDS ? i.e. either
adding one of the modules, or the kernel-modules meta package to
IMAGE_INSTALL ?

Bruce

> This is the kernel recipe:
> https://gitlab.com/dimtass/meta-allwinner-hx/blob/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-stable_4.19.bb
>
> And this is the conf folder
> https://gitlab.com/dimtass/meta-allwinner-hx/tree/master/conf
>
> For some reason I can't figure out why modules are not ending up in the image.
>
> If I do it manually in a do_install_append like this:
> do_install_append() {
>     # Install kernel-modules
> install -d ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}
>     oe_runmake INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${D} modules_install
> }
>
> then it works, but I guess that shouldn't be the right way.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas?
>
> Thanks!

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

* Re: Kernel modules packaged but not installed
@ 2019-11-06 18:39   ` Dimitris Tassopoulos
From: Dimitris Tassopoulos @ 2019-11-06 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi Bruce,

I've also tried adding the `kernel-modules` in the IMAGE_INSTALL,
but that doesn't help either, because as I've mentioned this package
is empty.

The individual module packages are indeed populated and adding each
one individually in the IMAGE_INSTALL makes them install in the final
image.

So the problem is that the `kernel-modules` doesn't add all the module
packages in one package and it's empty. Therefore, when it's installed
it installs nothing.

Regards,
Dimitris

Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 6. Nov. 2019,
17:20:

@ 2019-11-06 21:24     ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2019-11-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitris Tassopoulos; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 1:40 PM Dimitris Tassopoulos <dimtass@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I've also tried adding the `kernel-modules` in the IMAGE_INSTALL,
> but that doesn't help either, because as I've mentioned this package
> is empty.
>
> The individual module packages are indeed populated and adding each
> one individually in the IMAGE_INSTALL makes them install in the final
> image.
>
> So the problem is that the `kernel-modules` doesn't add all the module
> packages in one package and it's empty. Therefore, when it's installed
> it installs nothing.

The kernel-modules package is a meta-package. It is supposed to be
empty. It has RDEPENDS on all of the other modules that were built. So
if you install it, it pulls in all of the build and packaged modules.

That works for rpm/ipk, or whatever package format you are using.

Bruce