* Xen Virtio Drivers
@ 2018-03-07 14:13 Volo M.
From: Volo M. @ 2018-03-07 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi Devs,

Could you please help me to identify right way to start using Virtio
drivers for Xen guests
as described here https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/QEMU_Upstream .
I've managed to start my Windows 2008 VM with Virtio network drivers by
using 'model='virtio-net'' option as described above and it works fine (but
only for network interfaces).

The problem is I still can't identify how to make Xen using virtio-blk or
virtio-scsi backend for 'qemu-xen' qemu-model as mentioned here
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Devices/Virtio which should be
compatible with 'qemu-xen' qemu upstream model.

I can't see any mention about virtio disk types in docs:
https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.8-testing/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt   .
Also I've done very common check through Xen source code ('*/tools/libxl/*'
area) while looking how to apply virtio disk drivers for our Xen guests.

Can you please clarify if it's been ever implemented. Do you have any ETA
when it's going to be implemented...etc? Or probably you could give me any
advice how to make it working?

Thanks a lot in advance.

* Re: Xen Virtio Drivers
@ 2018-03-07 15:08 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2018-03-07 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volo M.; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 04:13:47PM +0200, Volo M. wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> Could you please help me to identify right way to start using Virtio
> drivers for Xen guests
> as described here https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/QEMU_Upstream .
> I've managed to start my Windows 2008 VM with Virtio network drivers by
> using 'model='virtio-net'' option as described above and it works fine (but
> only for network interfaces).
>
> The problem is I still can't identify how to make Xen using virtio-blk or
> virtio-scsi backend for 'qemu-xen' qemu-model as mentioned here
> https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Devices/Virtio which should be
> compatible with 'qemu-xen' qemu upstream model.
>
> I can't see any mention about virtio disk types in docs:
> https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.8-testing/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt   .
> Also I've done very common check through Xen source code ('*/tools/libxl/*'
> area) while looking how to apply virtio disk drivers for our Xen guests.
>
> Can you please clarify if it's been ever implemented. Do you have any ETA
> when it's going to be implemented...etc? Or probably you could give me any
> advice how to make it working?

IT all works with HVM guests. You do have to tweak the Xen build of qemu
to build with KVM enabled (oddly enough the Virtio drivers depend on that
right now).

> Thanks a lot in advance.

* Re: Xen Virtio Drivers
@ 2018-03-07 15:32   ` Volo M.
From: Volo M. @ 2018-03-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: xen-devel

Cool, I'll have to check how to tweak xen build.

Will I have to change below disk lines of XL toolkit VM config somehow to
enable using Virtio drives emulation
 or custom xen build just enable it by those kvm-enabled tweak for all HVM
guests within hypervisor?

vif = [ "model=virtio-net, mac=00:16:3e:11:77:f0, bridge=officevswitch1,
ip=10.91.0.224, vifname=cxqastfflivgrl" ]
disk = [
"format=raw,vdev=hda,access=rw,backendtype=phy,target=/dev/iscsistore02/disk1237"
]
disk = [ "phy:/dev/iscsistore02/disk1238,ioemu:hda,w" ]

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 5:08 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <
konrad.wilk@oracle.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 04:13:47PM +0200, Volo M. wrote:
> > Hi Devs,
> >
> > Could you please help me to identify right way to start using Virtio
> > drivers for Xen guests
> > as described here https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/QEMU_Upstream .
> > I've managed to start my Windows 2008 VM with Virtio network drivers by
> > using 'model='virtio-net'' option as described above and it works fine
> (but
> > only for network interfaces).
> >
> > The problem is I still can't identify how to make Xen using virtio-blk or
> > virtio-scsi backend for 'qemu-xen' qemu-model as mentioned here
> > https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Devices/Virtio which should be
> > compatible with 'qemu-xen' qemu upstream model.
> >
> > I can't see any mention about virtio disk types in docs:
> > https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/4.8-testing/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt
>  .
> > Also I've done very common check through Xen source code
> ('*/tools/libxl/*'
> > area) while looking how to apply virtio disk drivers for our Xen guests.
> >
> > Can you please clarify if it's been ever implemented. Do you have any ETA
> > when it's going to be implemented...etc? Or probably you could give me
> any
> > advice how to make it working?
>
> IT all works with HVM guests. You do have to tweak the Xen build of qemu
> to build with KVM enabled (oddly enough the Virtio drivers depend on that
> right now).
>

> > Thanks a lot in advance.

* Re: Xen Virtio Drivers
@ 2018-03-08  2:47 ` Christopher Clark