* Nouveau wiki migration
@ 2020-09-25 21:27 ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2020-09-25 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau, dri-devel; +Cc: Daniel Stone

Hi everybody,

I think it's time to finally move our wiki from the old infrastructure
over to gitlab pages.

This comes with several benefits:
* full control through git over the ikiwiki pipeline (setup files,
plugins, system packages, ...)
* random users are able to create MRs against the wiki as long as they
are willing to create a gitlab account.
* possible to migrate over to a different wiki generator or mix and
match or whatever.
* no CGI stuff on the wiki as we don't use ikiwiki for the git
operations anymore

To view the migrate wiki visit this URL:
https://nouveau.pages.freedesktop.org/wiki/
the gitlab project lives here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/wiki

There are a couple of changes I already made:
* convert the perl ikiwiki setup file to yaml:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/wiki/-/blob/master/nouveau.yml
* reworked the setup file to throw out unused plugins and adjust
settings for gitlab
* enabled HTML5 (does change the style slightly, but also fixed some
regressions)
* pulled in external sources (from the fdo.org server)
* moved mdwn files into their own subdirectory

For now I changed everything inside one big commit:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/wiki/-/commit/6f2d1669884af186863718ad827f65372a0c5c43

There are a couple of remaining issues/questions:
* the gitlab CI pipeline fails quite a bit, which could be annoying
* there is a delay between editing and changes going live (usually
below a minute though)
* should we disallow direct editing of files for project members so we
could CI the changes are still valid?

Next steps:
* verify everything still works
* fix remaining issues
* final step: point the subdomain to the new gitlab pages URL

If anybody else is interested in moving their wikis over, don't
hesitate to ask me questions or just copy whatever I did :)

* Nouveau wiki migration
@ 2020-09-25 21:27 ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2020-09-25 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau, dri-devel; +Cc: Jeremy Cline

[...]

* Re: Nouveau wiki migration
@ 2020-10-01 11:36   ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2020-10-01 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau, dri-devel; +Cc: Daniel Stone

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:27 PM Karol Herbst <kherbst-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I think it's time to finally move our wiki from the old infrastructure
> over to gitlab pages.
>
> This comes with several benefits:
> * full control through git over the ikiwiki pipeline (setup files,
> plugins, system packages, ...)
> * random users are able to create MRs against the wiki as long as they
> are willing to create a gitlab account.
> * possible to migrate over to a different wiki generator or mix and
> match or whatever.
> * no CGI stuff on the wiki as we don't use ikiwiki for the git
> operations anymore
>
> To view the migrate wiki visit this URL:
> https://nouveau.pages.freedesktop.org/wiki/
> the gitlab project lives here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/wiki
>
> There are a couple of changes I already made:
> * convert the perl ikiwiki setup file to yaml:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/wiki/-/blob/master/nouveau.yml
> * reworked the setup file to throw out unused plugins and adjust
> settings for gitlab
> * enabled HTML5 (does change the style slightly, but also fixed some
> regressions)
> * pulled in external sources (from the fdo.org server)
> * moved mdwn files into their own subdirectory
>
> For now I changed everything inside one big commit:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/wiki/-/commit/6f2d1669884af186863718ad827f65372a0c5c43
>
> There are a couple of remaining issues/questions:
> * the gitlab CI pipeline fails quite a bit, which could be annoying
> * there is a delay between editing and changes going live (usually
> below a minute though)
> * should we disallow direct editing of files for project members so we
> could CI the changes are still valid?
>
> Next steps:
> * verify everything still works
> * fix remaining issues
> * final step: point the subdomain to the new gitlab pages URL
>
> If anybody else is interested in moving their wikis over, don't
> hesitate to ask me questions or just copy whatever I did :)

I did some further changes, like ensuring backwards compatibility to
existing links and already started to clean up some bits, like
removing the google translate stuff.

Now I'd like to get the subdomain changed of the current wiki over to
the gitlab stuff and wanted to ask for acks/nacks on this

* Re: Nouveau wiki migration
@ 2020-10-01 11:36   ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2020-10-01 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau, dri-devel; +Cc: Jeremy Cline

@ 2020-10-01 17:52       ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2020-10-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Herbst; +Cc: nouveau, dri-devel

Hi Karol.

On Thu, Oct 01, 2020 at 01:36:52PM +0200, Karol Herbst wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:27 PM Karol Herbst <kherbst-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I think it's time to finally move our wiki from the old infrastructure
> > over to gitlab pages.
> >
> > This comes with several benefits:
> > * full control through git over the ikiwiki pipeline (setup files,
> > plugins, system packages, ...)
> > * random users are able to create MRs against the wiki as long as they
> > are willing to create a gitlab account.
> > * possible to migrate over to a different wiki generator or mix and
> > match or whatever.
> > * no CGI stuff on the wiki as we don't use ikiwiki for the git
> > operations anymore
> >
> > To view the migrate wiki visit this URL:
> > https://nouveau.pages.freedesktop.org/wiki/

I poked around a little - almost all of it looked good.

The FAQ points back to some pages on https://nouveau.freedesktop.org -
like https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/XvMC/
I guess this is a bug.

But in general looks good.

> I did some further changes, like ensuring backwards compatibility to
> existing links and already started to clean up some bits, like
> removing the google translate stuff.
>
> Now I'd like to get the subdomain changed of the current wiki over to
> the gitlab stuff and wanted to ask for acks/nacks on this

No ack/nack here - as I really do not know what to ack/nack.
But maybe the above counts like an ack???

But looks good and I hope that others find it simple to help
with the pages from the gitlab repo.

	Sam

* Re: Nouveau wiki migration
@ 2020-10-01 17:52       ` Sam Ravnborg
From: Sam Ravnborg @ 2020-10-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Herbst; +Cc: nouveau, dri-devel, Jeremy Cline

@ 2020-10-01 18:10           ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2020-10-01 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ravnborg; +Cc: nouveau, dri-devel

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 7:53 PM Sam Ravnborg <sam-uyr5N9Q2VtJg9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi Karol.
>
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2020 at 01:36:52PM +0200, Karol Herbst wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:27 PM Karol Herbst <kherbst-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I think it's time to finally move our wiki from the old infrastructure
> > > over to gitlab pages.
> > >
> > > This comes with several benefits:
> > > * full control through git over the ikiwiki pipeline (setup files,
> > > plugins, system packages, ...)
> > > * random users are able to create MRs against the wiki as long as they
> > > are willing to create a gitlab account.
> > > * possible to migrate over to a different wiki generator or mix and
> > > match or whatever.
> > > * no CGI stuff on the wiki as we don't use ikiwiki for the git
> > > operations anymore
> > >
> > > To view the migrate wiki visit this URL:
> > > https://nouveau.pages.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
> I poked around a little - almost all of it looked good.
>
> The FAQ points back to some pages on https://nouveau.freedesktop.org -
> like https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/XvMC/
> I guess this is a bug.

The migration includes using the old subdomain with gitlab pages and
most of the links are auto-generated anyway, so this should just work
after migration. I just have to prepare accordingly.

> But in general looks good.
>
> > I did some further changes, like ensuring backwards compatibility to
> > existing links and already started to clean up some bits, like
> > removing the google translate stuff.
> >
> > Now I'd like to get the subdomain changed of the current wiki over to
> > the gitlab stuff and wanted to ask for acks/nacks on this
>
> No ack/nack here - as I really do not know what to ack/nack.
> But maybe the above counts like an ack???
>
> But looks good and I hope that others find it simple to help
> with the pages from the gitlab repo.
>
>         Sam

* Re: Nouveau wiki migration
@ 2020-10-01 18:10           ` Karol Herbst