* RT2880F based iNIC mini-PCI network card
@ 2018-07-14 23:37 Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2018-07-14 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, Stanislaw Gruszka, Helmut Schaa

I'm curious to hear if you have hints of this beast:

lspci:
00:0c.0 Class 0200: 1814:0801

AFAICT this is a ralink Mini PCI using the RT2880F dubbed
"iNIC" (intelligent NIC).

It is found sometimes soldered (!) onto the mini PCI sockets
in a few select routers.

I am trying to us it with D-Link DIR-685, the same mini PCI is
found in Asus DSL-N13, Asus WL-127n, Alcatel Lucent Cellpipe
7130, Pegatron WL227N-5G Wireless Card, and the Billion BiPAC
7800N.

I would try to hack on rt2xxx but I simply have no source code
for this, there are GPL drops for some of the above routers but
they just contain binaries, often in a path like this:
ralink_RT2880_iNIC/v1.1.8.3/build/module-v1.1.8.3

A DD-WRT source tree contained this:
#obj-$(CONFIG_RT2880v2_INIC_MII) += iNIC/mii/
#obj-$(CONFIG_RT2880v2_INIC_PCI) += iNIC/pci/

So there is apparently even a v2 version.

The board photos shows a RT2880F and a RT2850L antenna
driver on the board (the latter in a shield box).

Has someone seen a vendor tree where this leaked out by
mistake or so?

Any other hints to get it going?

I tried just adding the PCI IDs of course. The card reports back
as type "0000" making me suspect it does not behave like all the
others :(

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* Re: RT2880F based iNIC mini-PCI network card
@ 2018-07-22 22:53 ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2018-07-22 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, Stanislaw Gruszka, Helmut Schaa

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 1:37 AM Linus Walleij <linus.walleij@linaro.org> wrote:

> I'm curious to hear if you have hints of this beast:
>
> lspci:
> 00:0c.0 Class 0200: 1814:0801
(...)
> Has someone seen a vendor tree where this leaked out by
> mistake or so?

The Internet is so big. impossible to keep secrets there.
So I found it:
https://github.com/kovz/ralink_inic

Now I just need to churn through this.

The firmware is ~500K. I guess an entire operating system.

Oh well, I guess we can replace it with RT2880F Linux since
it is just a vanilla SoC.

Yours,
Linus Walleij