* 'kgit-s2q' doesn't remove 'rebase-apply' directory
@ 2024-02-23 10:35 Konstantin Aladyshev
From: Konstantin Aladyshev @ 2024-02-23 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, poky

Hello!

'kgit-s2q' in the linux recipe tries to use 'git apply' if 'git am' fails.
In this case 'kgit-s2q' manually creates a ".git/rebase-apply"
directory (https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-kernel-tools/tree/tools/kgit-s2q#n622)
But it looks like this directory is not removed after the patches are
applied. This creates a problem, since with this directory present git
thinks that rebase operation is still in progress.
Because of this bug 'devtool modify linux' can't perform its own
rebase operations in the "devtool_post_patch" tasks
https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/classes/devtool-source.bbclass#n214
In the end this creates a situation when the local patches are not applied.

Best regards,
Konstantin Aladyshev

* Re: [yocto] 'kgit-s2q' doesn't remove 'rebase-apply' directory
@ 2024-02-23 11:28 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2024-02-23 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, aladyshev22; +Cc: poky

If you want help or fixes, you need to show how to reproduce the issue
with plain poky master via specific steps, and not just discuss
problems in your local setup.

Alex

@ 2024-02-23 13:16 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2024-02-23 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, aladyshev22; +Cc: poky

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 5:35 AM Konstantin Aladyshev
<aladyshev22@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> 'kgit-s2q' in the linux recipe tries to use 'git apply' if 'git am' fails.
> In this case 'kgit-s2q' manually creates a ".git/rebase-apply"
> directory (https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-kernel-tools/tree/tools/kgit-s2q#n622)
> But it looks like this directory is not removed after the patches are
> applied. This creates a problem, since with this directory present git
> thinks that rebase operation is still in progress.
> Because of this bug 'devtool modify linux' can't perform its own
> rebase operations in the "devtool_post_patch" tasks
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/tree/meta/classes/devtool-source.bbclass#n214
> In the end this creates a situation when the local patches are not applied.

Leaving that directory is intentional, as it is used during some resuming
and skipping of patching  errors. These tools predate devtool and other
similar things by quite a few years, so there's not much coordination between
the two. It might be something that could be cleaned up, but devtool could
just as easily ensure that it has a clean environment before starting and
removing any failed/lingering operations .. I run into this all the time when
manually working with my kernel trees, I just clean it up and move on.

Also, see the README in the kern-tools repository, you are using the
wrong mailing
list for these questions. They should go to linux-yocto.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Best regards,
> Konstantin Aladyshev

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

* Re: [yocto] 'kgit-s2q' doesn't remove 'rebase-apply' directory
@ 2024-02-23 20:17   ` Konstantin Aladyshev
From: Konstantin Aladyshev @ 2024-02-23 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto, poky

Thanks Bruce!
So what do you suggest, that devtool needs to remove the
".git/rebase-apply" directory in its "devtool_post_patch" task?
Anyway, I'm moving the discussion to "linux-yocto" with some
additional info on how to recreate the error on poky master.

Best regards,
Konstantin

@ 2024-02-23 10:37 Konstantin Aladyshev