* [Qemu-devel] qemu-guest-agent question
@ 2015-10-19 13:41 Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2015-10-19 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I'm try to understand sources of qga and have a question-  does agent
execute commands synchronous or if i'm send firstly long running
command and after that send  short lived command, short lived command
response can be sended before first command result?
Thanks!

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov@selfip.ru

* Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-guest-agent question
@ 2015-10-21 15:10 ` Michael Roth
From: Michael Roth @ 2015-10-21 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov, qemu-devel

Quoting Vasiliy Tolstov (2015-10-19 08:41:35)
> I'm try to understand sources of qga and have a question-  does agent
> execute commands synchronous or if i'm send firstly long running
> command and after that send  short lived command, short lived command
> response can be sended before first command result?
> Thanks!

Yes, commands are executed asynchronously. guest-exec kicks them off and
returns a handle. guest-exec-status can be called later with that handle
to check on the status of the command. If the command has completed,
guest-exec-status will report the return status, along with stdout/stderr
if capture mode was enabled. Multiple commands can be issued/running at
any one time.

The documentation in qemu.git/qga/qapi-schema.json has more exact details.

@ 2015-10-21 15:28   ` Michael Roth
From: Michael Roth @ 2015-10-21 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov, qemu-devel

Quoting Michael Roth (2015-10-21 10:10:40)
> Quoting Vasiliy Tolstov (2015-10-19 08:41:35)
> > I'm try to understand sources of qga and have a question-  does agent
> > execute commands synchronous or if i'm send firstly long running
> > command and after that send  short lived command, short lived command
> > response can be sended before first command result?
> > Thanks!
>
> Yes, commands are executed asynchronously. guest-exec kicks them off and
> returns a handle. guest-exec-status can be called later with that handle
> to check on the status of the command. If the command has completed,
> guest-exec-status will report the return status, along with stdout/stderr
> if capture mode was enabled. Multiple commands can be issued/running at
> any one time.
>
> The documentation in qemu.git/qga/qapi-schema.json has more exact details.

I assumed you were referring to 'commands' via the recent
guest-exec command that was added, but in case that's not what you were
asking about:

The guest agent commands themselves are synchronous, and qga will
process and respond to requests as it recieves them, one at a time,
from start to finish.

@ 2015-10-24  0:29     ` Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2015-10-24  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Roth; +Cc: qemu-devel

> I assumed you were referring to 'commands' via the recent
> guest-exec command that was added, but in case that's not what you were
> asking about:
>
> The guest agent commands themselves are synchronous, and qga will
> process and respond to requests as it recieves them, one at a time,
> from start to finish.

Thanks! This is very helpful. Does it possible to add this info to qga docs ?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov@selfip.ru