* tg3 and sd card reader at acer aspire
@ 2013-12-24  8:27 Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2013-12-24  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi all and sorry for may be spamming mailing list.

I have acer aspire v5-17 with broadcom card reader and ethernet card.
I'm affecting on this ubuntu bugs. But bug is present in vanilla linux
current git and stable lts.

Can somebody helps me and say - where i can post message and discuss
this problem. As i see ubuntu team can't solve this problem (bug
present is about 1 year and nothing changed).
One ubuntu user wia bisecting find broken commit -
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?id=6cac12dfab9c57a4f76821412224b226a9b08dff

Relevant ubuntu bugs:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1178131
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1067222

Thanks!
--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov@selfip.ru

* Re: tg3 and sd card reader at acer aspire
@ 2013-12-24 17:52 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2013-12-24 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-pci

[+cc linux-pci because I think this is related to PCI ASPM]

I'm afraid nobody wants to touch ASPM because it's such a mess, but I
hope somebody will step up and investigate this.

@ 2013-12-25  1:52   ` Robert Hancock
From: Robert Hancock @ 2013-12-25  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas, Vasiliy Tolstov; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-pci

On 12/24/2013 11:52 AM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> [+cc linux-pci because I think this is related to PCI ASPM]
>
> I'm afraid nobody wants to touch ASPM because it's such a mess, but I
> hope somebody will step up and investigate this.

So apparently this machine got broken when we changed the behavior for
the ACPI ASPM-not-supported bit from forcing ASPM off for everything to
leaving ASPM in whatever state the BIOS left it in. And apparently for
some reason the device (devices?) doesn't work with ASPM enabled in
Linux but does in Windows. It's possible that some other workaround is
being applied by the Windows driver that allows it to work there.

I'm not too sure what the next step to debug that would be, unless maybe
someone has a contact at Broadcom. We could conceivably add a quirk to
force ASPM off for this device regardless of what the BIOS says, though.

@ 2013-12-25  7:50   ` Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2013-12-25  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-pci

2013/12/24 Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>:
> [+cc linux-pci because I think this is related to PCI ASPM]
>
> I'm afraid nobody wants to touch ASPM because it's such a mess, but I
> hope somebody will step up and investigate this.

Thank you!

--

@ 2013-12-25  7:51     ` Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2013-12-25  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock; +Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-kernel, linux-pci

2013/12/25 Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@gmail.com>:
> So apparently this machine got broken when we changed the behavior for the
> ACPI ASPM-not-supported bit from forcing ASPM off for everything to leaving
> ASPM in whatever state the BIOS left it in. And apparently for some reason
> the device (devices?) doesn't work with ASPM enabled in Linux but does in
> Windows. It's possible that some other workaround is being applied by the
> Windows driver that allows it to work there.
>
> I'm not too sure what the next step to debug that would be, unless maybe
> someone has a contact at Broadcom. We could conceivably add a quirk to force
> ASPM off for this device regardless of what the BIOS says, though.

Thanks! I can contact with broadcom, but i don't known email address.
Last my attempt then i have problems with their wifi card not
successful =(.

--

@ 2013-12-25  8:07       ` Yijing Wang
From: Yijing Wang @ 2013-12-25  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasiliy Tolstov, Robert Hancock; +Cc: Bjorn Helgaas, linux-kernel, linux-pci

On 2013/12/25 15:51, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> 2013/12/25 Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@gmail.com>:
>> So apparently this machine got broken when we changed the behavior for the
>> ACPI ASPM-not-supported bit from forcing ASPM off for everything to leaving
>> ASPM in whatever state the BIOS left it in. And apparently for some reason
>> the device (devices?) doesn't work with ASPM enabled in Linux but does in
>> Windows. It's possible that some other workaround is being applied by the
>> Windows driver that allows it to work there.
>>
>> I'm not too sure what the next step to debug that would be, unless maybe
>> someone has a contact at Broadcom. We could conceivably add a quirk to force
>> ASPM off for this device regardless of what the BIOS says, though.
>

> Thanks! I can contact with broadcom, but i don't known email address.
> Last my attempt then i have problems with their wifi card not
> successful =(.

Maybe BROADCOM TG3 driver maintainer list can help you.

More info can be found in MAINTAINERS file under linux kernel source directory.

BROADCOM TG3 GIGABIT ETHERNET DRIVER
M:      Nithin Nayak Sujir <nsujir@broadcom.com>
M:      Michael Chan <mchan@broadcom.com>
L:      netdev@vger.kernel.org
S:      Supported
F:      drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.*

--
Thanks!
Yijing

* Re: tg3 and sd card reader at acer aspire
@ 2013-12-25  9:00         ` Vasiliy Tolstov
From: Vasiliy Tolstov @ 2013-12-25  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yijing Wang; +Cc: Robert Hancock, Bjorn Helgaas, linux-kernel, linux-pci