* HIFACE family driver
@ 2012-11-14 10:40 Michael Trimarchi
From: Michael Trimarchi @ 2012-11-14 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi all,

I have written in my spare time an alsa driver for HIFACE devices family. Now I'm not an alsa expert and I would like to know if you think that it's useful to include it in mainline

https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio

The list of usb devices supported

https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/chip.c

The main difference is that I need to use bulk message to talk to the usb dongle and ofcourse there are a lot of improvement that we can do on it. I have already tested on several kernel version and it's already included in some linux distribution. Wait for some feedback ;)

Michael

* Re: HIFACE family driver
@ 2012-11-14 11:15 ` Grant Diffey
From: Grant Diffey @ 2012-11-14 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Trimarchi; +Cc: ALSA development, Clemens Ladisch, Daniel Mack

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Michael Trimarchi <
michael@amarulasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have written in my spare time an alsa driver for HIFACE devices family.
> Now I'm not an alsa expert and I would like to know if you think that it's
> useful to include it in mainline
>
> https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio
>
> The list of usb devices supported
>
> https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/chip.c
>
> The main difference is that I need to use bulk message to talk to the usb
> dongle and ofcourse there are a lot of improvement that we can do on it. I
> have already tested on several kernel version and it's already included in
> some linux distribution. Wait for some feedback ;)
>
> Michael

Michael,

Your driver has been discussed briefly on list already:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2012-November/056791.html

adding Daniel and Clemens as cc's

Grant

* Re: HIFACE family driver
@ 2012-11-14 11:40   ` Michael Trimarchi
From: Michael Trimarchi @ 2012-11-14 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Diffey; +Cc: ALSA development, Clemens Ladisch, Daniel Mack

Hi

On 11/14/2012 12:15 PM, Grant Diffey wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Michael Trimarchi <michael@amarulasolutions.com <mailto:michael@amarulasolutions.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I have written in my spare time an alsa driver for HIFACE devices family. Now I'm not an alsa expert and I would like to know if you think that it's useful to include it in mainline
>
>     https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio
>
>     The list of usb devices supported
>
>     https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/chip.c
>
>     The main difference is that I need to use bulk message to talk to the usb dongle and ofcourse there are a lot of improvement that we can do on it. I have already tested on several kernel version and it's already included in some linux distribution. Wait for some feedback ;)
>
>     Michael
>

> Michael,
>
> Your driver has been discussed briefly on list already: http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2012-November/056791.html
>
> adding Daniel and Clemens as cc's

Ok, so the idea is to send patches on the mailing list. I can send one hiface for free if someone want help me on the submission. Sounds good?

Michael

> Grant

* Re: HIFACE family driver
@ 2012-11-14 12:44 ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2012-11-14 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Trimarchi; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Michael,

On 14.11.2012 18:40, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> I have written in my spare time an alsa driver for HIFACE devices
> family. Now I'm not an alsa expert and I would like to know if you
> think that it's useful to include it in mainline
>
> https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio
>
> The list of usb devices supported
>
> https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/chip.c

We've already seen this - very cool!

> The main difference is that I need to use bulk message to talk to the
> usb dongle and ofcourse there are a lot of improvement that we can do
> on it. I have already tested on several kernel version and it's
> already included in some linux distribution. Wait for some feedback
> ;)

More than welcome :) You should submit your current version of the code
in digestable pieces. Maybe the basic driver structure first, and then
put individual features into additional patches if possible. That way,
things can be reviewed in-line on the mailing list.

Thanks,
Daniel

* Re: HIFACE family driver
@ 2012-12-04 10:22   ` Michael Trimarchi
From: Michael Trimarchi @ 2012-12-04 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi Daniel

On 11/14/2012 01:44 PM, Daniel Mack wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On 14.11.2012 18:40, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
>> I have written in my spare time an alsa driver for HIFACE devices
>> family. Now I'm not an alsa expert and I would like to know if you
>> think that it's useful to include it in mainline
>>
>> https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio
>>
>> The list of usb devices supported
>>
>> https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/blob/master/chip.c
>
> We've already seen this - very cool!
>
>> The main difference is that I need to use bulk message to talk to the
>> usb dongle and ofcourse there are a lot of improvement that we can do
>> on it. I have already tested on several kernel version and it's
>> already included in some linux distribution. Wait for some feedback
>> ;)
>
> More than welcome :) You should submit your current version of the code
> in digestable pieces. Maybe the basic driver structure first, and then
> put individual features into additional patches if possible. That way,
> things can be reviewed in-line on the mailing list.

Sorry if I'm late, but I'm very busy. I will try to sort out by the end of the week.

Regards
Michael