* Difference between bitbake inclusion and inheritance
@ 2016-10-18 22:37 Davis Roman
From: Davis Roman @ 2016-10-18 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I'm a yocto newbie and so I'm becoming familiar with the documentation.

I came across a bitbake feature that is somewhat confusing to me regarding
the difference between optional/required inclusion versus inheritance.

As far as optional/required inclusion is concerned, the documentation
states quite clearly that the main difference is that the former will not
issue an error message if the specified file is not found while the latter
will so there is no issue here.

My issue has to do with the 'inherit' command. Sounds to me like 'include'
and 'require' already do the trick so I'm curious to know what value does
'inherit' bring ?

Any clarification would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,

Davis

* Re: Difference between bitbake inclusion and inheritance
@ 2016-10-19  0:44 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2016-10-19  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davis Roman; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Davis Roman <davis.roman84@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a yocto newbie and so I'm becoming familiar with the documentation.
>
> I came across a bitbake feature that is somewhat confusing to me regarding
> the difference between optional/required inclusion versus inheritance.
>
> As far as optional/required inclusion is concerned, the documentation states
> quite clearly that the main difference is that the former will not issue an
> error message if the specified file is not found while the latter will so
> there is no issue here.
>
> My issue has to do with the 'inherit' command. Sounds to me like 'include'
> and 'require' already do the trick so I'm curious to know what value does
> 'inherit' bring ?

you can override pretty much everything from an inherited class if you wish to

@ 2016-10-19  2:00 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-10-19  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davis Roman; +Cc: yocto

Hi Davis,

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:37:50 Davis Roman wrote:
> I'm a yocto newbie and so I'm becoming familiar with the documentation.
>
> I came across a bitbake feature that is somewhat confusing to me regarding
> the difference between optional/required inclusion versus inheritance.
>
> As far as optional/required inclusion is concerned, the documentation
> states quite clearly that the main difference is that the former will not
> issue an error message if the specified file is not found while the latter
> will so there is no issue here.
>
> My issue has to do with the 'inherit' command. Sounds to me like 'include'
> and 'require' already do the trick so I'm curious to know what value does
> 'inherit' bring ?

The answer is that they are very similar - but tend to be used for slightly
different purposes. inherit is for where you have some functionality that you
expect to be applicable across a number of recipes, so it should show up in a
standard location in a reasonably standard format. The technical differences
really stem from that:

* Classes must appear in a classes subdirectory somewhere along BBPATH
* Classes must be named <something>.bbclass
* Classes can use EXPORT_FUNCTIONS so you can still call the original function
from your overridden version
* It's easy to query from python code whether a recipe inherits a class (and
it's something we do in quite a number of places); it's technically possible
to do the same for include/require but more difficult

include/require are much more generic and applicable for any other kind of
shared or encapsulated functionality or configuration that doesn't suit a
.bbclass.

Note that not all classes are typically inherited from individual recipes with
inherit - there are classes that are usually applied globally by adding their
names to INHERIT (e.g. buildhistory).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Difference between bitbake inclusion and inheritance
@ 2016-10-19  3:15   ` Davis Roman
From: Davis Roman @ 2016-10-19  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: yocto