* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] help for batman-adv with monitor WiFi card
@ 2014-10-11  7:07 Dirk van der Walt
From: Dirk van der Walt @ 2014-10-11  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi Jammy,

I can also confirm what Antonio replied.

When I was building firmware for MESHdesk using the then trunk
(Barrier Breaker) I nearly gave up on the Dragino hardware (AR9331)
because the adhoc connections between nodes refused to connect beyond
1Mbps unless you restart the WiFi a one or more times.

Other Atheros based hardware like the OM2P's did not have the same issue though.

On advise from Steve Song (Village Telco) I tried Attitude Adjustment
and all that problems disappeared and there is now proper speed
between the adhoc connections.

I haven't tried again on Barrier Breaker, but will probably in the
near future do another attempt and see if the problem still exists now
that it has been released.

Cheers

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] help for batman-adv with monitor WiFi card
@ 2014-10-10  5:55 ` Antonio Quartulli
From: Antonio Quartulli @ 2014-10-10  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

Hi jammy,

On 09/10/14 05:26, jammy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now i have build a mesh network with batman-adv routing algorithm(batman-adv-2014.2.0)and Linux 3.3.8. Each mesh node have one WiFi card which is configued to the adhoc mode (according to the suggestion of openmesh website)and 11A protocol.
>
> But the data rate between two mesh nodes is only 8Mbps,while if I configure the same WiFi card in mesh node to AP mode and client mode,the datarate between them can achive 40Mbps.
>
> I think the reason of the low data rate is caused by the adhoc mode(my wireless driver is ath9k,the datarate of adhoc mode is slower indeed)
>
> My questions are:
> 1. How can I raise the data rate to 30M+ if I use the adhoc mode?

As far as I know ath9k works usually well in adhoc mode and can reach
much higher datarates. In any case the problem is likely to be ath9k
specific, so batman-adv can't do much for that.

> 2. can I use the monitor mode of WiFi card with batman-adv?someone tells that it can be done,but when I batctl addif wlan0 (wlan0 is configured in monitor),it shows that interface type not support by batman-adv.

you cannot add a monitor interface to batman-adv (as explained by the
message), but you should be able to create to interfaces: an adhoc one
to use with batman-adv and a monitor one to use for your purposes.

This is what most people do.

Cheers,

--
Antonio Quartulli

* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] help for batman-adv with monitor WiFi card
@ 2014-10-09  3:26 jammy
From: jammy @ 2014-10-09  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

[...]

I am waiting for your replies and thank you very much.

from jammy's iPhone