* Dumb question
@ 2017-03-10  4:35 V Kurien
From: V Kurien @ 2017-03-10  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi all
I'm trying to use ulogd2 to count flows and so I assume that I have to
create iptable rules to match the traffic that I care about.

Based on reading on the web, it seemed that I'd have to (this is on a
stock ubuntu-16.04 with a 4.4 kernel)

Assume that I want to match all TCP packets heading into the host;

(1) Create an iptables rule: iptables -A INPUT -p TCP  -j ULOG --ulog-nlgroup 1
(2) My ulogd.conf looks like:
.. all plugins included

stack=ct1:NFCT,ip2str1:IP2STR,print1:PRINTFLOW,emu1:LOGEMU

I get an error when I try to run the iptables command:

iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

Clearly I am doing something insane, but what?

* Re: Dumb question
@ 2017-03-10  4:57 ` V Kurien
From: V Kurien @ 2017-03-10  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Please ignore this. The kernel on the machine had been changed from
the generic kernel.

@ 2006-08-11 14:17   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2006-08-11 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Juhl; +Cc: Marc Perkel, linux-kernel

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 12:04:18 +0200 Jesper Juhl wrote:

> On 11/08/06, Marc Perkel <marc@perkel.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > and how do I apply the patch?
>
> Please read Documentation/applying-patches.txt in the kernel source
> dir after extracting the tarball.

For a non-web interface, you can use 'ketchup'.
See http://www.selenic.com/ketchup/wiki/

---
~Randy
PS: clearly for Mark (not Jesper)

* Re: Dumb Question
@ 2006-08-11 10:10         ` Jiri Slaby
From: Jiri Slaby @ 2006-08-11 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt; +Cc: Marc Perkel, linux-kernel

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>> They are - http://kernel.org/ right on the front. (Click either 2.6.17.8
>>> or "F", depending on what you need).
>>>
>> But that doesn't let me compile 2.6.18.

Nothing on the world let you compile 2.6.18, it wasn't released yet ;).

> Get a compiler? (And the "F" file.)
>
>> And the patch can't be applied to the 2.6.17.8 kernel.

See
Documentation/applying-patches.txt
in linux source directory (and other userful docs there -- 00-INDEX and HOWTO as
a beginning)

regards.
--
faculty of informatics, masaryk university, brno, cz
e-mail: jirislaby gmail com, gpg pubkey fingerprint:

* Re: Dumb Question
@ 2006-08-11 10:04 ` Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2006-08-11 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Perkel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 11/08/06, Marc Perkel <marc@perkel.com> wrote:
[...]
> and how do I apply the patch?

Please read Documentation/applying-patches.txt in the kernel source
dir after extracting the tarball.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

* Re: Dumb Question
       [not found]     ` <44DC1E21.1020805@perkel.com>
@ 2006-08-11  7:19       ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2006-08-11  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Perkel; +Cc: linux-kernel

>>> I figured it out - however - the files to download to compile the
>>> kernel should be accessible from the front page of the web site.
>>
>> They are - http://kernel.org/ right on the front. (Click either 2.6.17.8
>> or "F", depending on what you need).
>>

> But that doesn't let me compile 2.6.18.

Get a compiler? (And the "F" file.)

> And the patch can't be applied to the 2.6.17.8 kernel.

No, but to the 2.6.17 one. If you want 17.7->17.8, you need the incr one.
Well, which is missing from the frontpage, right.

Jan Engelhardt

* Re: Dumb Question
@ 2006-08-11  6:02   ` Jan Engelhardt
       [not found]     ` <44DC1E21.1020805@perkel.com>
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2006-08-11  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Perkel; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2006-08-11  5:19 ` Marc Perkel
From: Marc Perkel @ 2006-08-11  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2006-08-11  4:07 ` Josef Sipek
From: Josef Sipek @ 2006-08-11  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Perkel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:54:50PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> OK - so if I want to download the latest kerkel and compile it - what
> files do I need to download and how do I apply the patch?

I'd suggest starting over at kernelnewbies [1]. They have a lot of how to
get started info.

Josef "Jeff" Sipek.

[1] kernelnewbies.org

--
NT is to UNIX what a doughnut is to a particle accelerator.

* Dumb Question
@ 2006-08-11  3:54 Marc Perkel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marc Perkel @ 2006-08-11  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2006-08-09 15:17 ` Mike
From: Mike @ 2006-08-09 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Facundo Barrera; +Cc: netfilter

What does your rc.firewall script look like, and why would you need to
restart your server?

Are you not able to just execute /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall and have it
reload the firewall?

Thanks

Mike

Facundo Barrera wrote:
> Hi list:
>         I'm using iptables on slackware, everytime i update a rule on
> my rc.firewall script i have to reboot my server....SO LAMMER!!!
> how can i update my iptables rules without rebooting the OS?
>
> Many thanks.

* Dumb question
@ 2006-08-09 15:14 Facundo Barrera
From: Facundo Barrera @ 2006-08-09 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi list:
         I'm using iptables on slackware, everytime i update a rule on
my rc.firewall script i have to reboot my server....SO LAMMER!!!
how can i update my iptables rules without rebooting the OS?

Many thanks.

--
Facundo Agustin Barrera
IT Management.

* Re: Dumb question
@ 2005-04-11 19:07 ` Alasdair G Kergon
From: Alasdair G Kergon @ 2005-04-11 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: device-mapper development

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:01:40PM -0400, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Here is a dumb question:  Why does dmsetup use (start, length) for each
> target line instead of just (length)?

We decided to require this:
  (a) to make the tables more readable in their raw form
  (b) as additional validation against bugs

> Is it useful to leave some parts
> of a virtual device unmapped, and if so, why not require them to be
> mapped explicitly to zero or error?

They must be.  Each line has to start where the previous one
ended or you are supposed to get an error.

Alasdair
--
agk@redhat.com

* Dumb question
@ 2005-04-11 19:01 Daniel Phillips
From: Daniel Phillips @ 2005-04-11 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-devel

Hi guys,

Here is a dumb question:  Why does dmsetup use (start, length) for each
target line instead of just (length)?  Is it useful to leave some parts
of a virtual device unmapped, and if so, why not require them to be
mapped explicitly to zero or error?

Regards,

Daniel

* Re: Dumb question
@ 2004-08-27  0:59   ` Robin Lynn Frank
From: Robin Lynn Frank @ 2004-08-27  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Netfilter Mail List

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 17:52, David Cary Hart wrote:

> I use TARPIT. It is available in the latest POM which you can download.
> You need the IPTables source code and the source for your kernel which
> well then have to be recompiled. Make CERTAIN that you are not running
> conntrack with TARPIT.

Thanks.
--
Robin Lynn Frank
Director of Operations

* Re: Dumb question
@ 2004-08-27  0:52 ` David Cary Hart
From: David Cary Hart @ 2004-08-27  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 20:48, Robin Lynn Frank wrote:
> Apologies if this is a dumb question but I am new to manipulating
> iptables directly.  There is a pest that has been routinely probing us.
> While we simply drop them, I'd like to make it "uncomfortable" for them
> to continue.  When I attempt the following, I get the response
> indicated.  We are running Mandrake Linus 10.0 Official with a 2.6
> kernel.

I Frank.

I use TARPIT. It is available in the latest POM which you can download.
You need the IPTables source code and the source for your kernel which
well then have to be recompiled. Make CERTAIN that you are not running
conntrack with TARPIT.

> # /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s ###.###.#.### -j TARPIT
> iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>
> Any help is appreciated.

* Dumb question
@ 2004-08-27  0:48 Robin Lynn Frank
From: Robin Lynn Frank @ 2004-08-27  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)