* Broadcom Firmware Rollback
@ 2016-09-23  2:43 David Petrizze
From: David Petrizze @ 2016-09-23  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi all,

I'm having issues with broadcom's latest firmware / driver, version
6.30.163.46. Wireless is solid for about a minute, and then drops
completely. My research has led me to believe my chip (BCM4331) is no
longer supported under 6.30.X.X, or has a bug somewhere. I want to
roll back to the firmware that worked.

What I'm looking for is a file named broadcom-wl-6.20.*.*.tar.bz2. I
found my current firmware from http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/,
but 6.20.X.X is nowhere to be found. 5.100.X.X is there, but the 4331
definitely wasn't supported for that one.

Inside each of these archives on lwfinger is a file called wl_apsta.o,
where the firmware is extracted from.  Since b43-fwcutter only
extracts firmware from versions of wl_apsta.o that match specific
MD5's, I figure 6.20.X.X has to be out there somewhere.

More info can be found from my original post:

...and other people confrim 6.30.X.X being a problem in this ubuntu bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1189611

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you for your time,
David

* Re: Broadcom Firmware Rollback
@ 2016-09-23  4:48 ` Rafał Miłecki
From: Rafał Miłecki @ 2016-09-23  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Petrizze; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 23 September 2016 at 04:43, David Petrizze <dpetrizze@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm having issues with broadcom's latest firmware / driver, version
> 6.30.163.46. Wireless is solid for about a minute, and then drops
> completely. My research has led me to believe my chip (BCM4331) is no
> longer supported under 6.30.X.X, or has a bug somewhere. I want to
> roll back to the firmware that worked.
>
> What I'm looking for is a file named broadcom-wl-6.20.*.*.tar.bz2. I
> found my current firmware from http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/,
> but 6.20.X.X is nowhere to be found. 5.100.X.X is there, but the 4331
> definitely wasn't supported for that one.
>
> Inside each of these archives on lwfinger is a file called wl_apsta.o,
> where the firmware is extracted from.  Since b43-fwcutter only
> extracts firmware from versions of wl_apsta.o that match specific
> MD5's, I figure 6.20.X.X has to be out there somewhere.
>
> More info can be found from my original post:
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=3D217326
>
> ...and other people confrim 6.30.X.X being a problem in this ubuntu bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bcmwl/+bug/1189611
>
> If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be immensely gra=
teful.

You can't make proprietary driver using firmware of your choice, so
don't bother looking at MIPS drivers stored at Larry's server.

You just need to find a /complete/ (mostly closed source of course)
driver 6.20 for x86/x86_64. I don't think it was ever published on
Broadcom's site, I think it was made available to Ubuntu only under
some agreement. So keep looking at Ubuntu resources.

Also linux-wireless ML focuses on open source drivers, so you may have
more luck asking at Ubuntu community.

--=20
Rafa=C5=82

* Re: Broadcom Firmware Rollback
@ 2016-09-23 18:45   ` David Petrizze
From: David Petrizze @ 2016-09-23 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafał Miłecki; +Cc: linux-wireless

I see. I guess I was hoping for some sort of mishap i.e. replacing
6.20 with 6.30 without thinking. If it wasn't released, I'll keep
working on compiling the Ubuntu driver I did find.

Thanks again

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 10:48 PM, Rafa=C5=82 Mi=C5=82ecki <zajec5@gmail.com=

@ 2016-09-23 19:09     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2016-09-23 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Petrizze, Rafał Miłecki; +Cc: linux-wireless

On 09/23/2016 01:45 PM, David Petrizze wrote:
> I see. I guess I was hoping for some sort of mishap i.e. replacing
> 6.20 with 6.30 without thinking. If it wasn't released, I'll keep
> working on compiling the Ubuntu driver I did find.

If you can point me to a redistributable version of 6.20, I will add it to
fwcutter and my server.

Larry