* /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-04  4:04 Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-04  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-8086

When I run the sudo ./qemu.sh I get the follow in the ELKS window:

Starting network processes: eth ktcp

ERROR: failed to open device /dev/eth
failed to open /dev/eth
Starting network services:  httpd.

ELKS 0.2.0
login:

My environment is Windows 10 host running Ubuntu linux in virtualbox,
and then qemu running in vbox and elks running in  qemu.

I suspect this error is an issue with so many layers of
virtualization.  Is there any hope of making this work or do I need a
more hospitable environment to use elks netwrorking?

* Re: /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-04  5:49 ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-04  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-8086

Never mind.  Forgot to configure device in my build setup.  Seems to
be working.  Nice work guys!

@ 2017-03-04  9:32   ` Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU
From: Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU @ 2017-03-04  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ELKS

Thanks Derek ! Nice to see that you follow the project since a long time.

Yes, one should enable the CONFIG_ETH option in the kernel
configuration for the /dev/eth device to work.

That's remind us that we should document that point in the existing
"ELKS networking" document.

Improvement tracked by https://github.com/jbruchon/elks/issues/79.

MFLD

@ 2017-03-05  3:17     ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-05  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU; +Cc: ELKS

After pulling in all of todays changes, I see these errors again as
described in original email.  Previously I had not enabled networking
or the ne2k driver, and the problem was fixed when I enabled them
during the ./build.sh script.  Now I enable them during the ./uild.sh
script and when I start ELKS with sudo ./qemu.sh these errors are
back.

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 2:32 AM, Marc-François LUCCA-DANIAU
<mfld.fr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Derek ! Nice to see that you follow the project since a long time.
>
> Yes, one should enable the CONFIG_ETH option in the kernel
> configuration for the /dev/eth device to work.
>
> That's remind us that we should document that point in the existing
> "ELKS networking" document.
>
> Improvement tracked by https://github.com/jbruchon/elks/issues/79.
>
> MFLD

>> Never mind.  Forgot to configure device in my build setup.  Seems to
>> be working.  Nice work guys!
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When I run the sudo ./qemu.sh I get the follow in the ELKS window:
>>>
>>> Starting network processes: eth ktcp
>>>
>>> ERROR: failed to open device /dev/eth
>>> failed to open /dev/eth
>>> Starting network services:  httpd.
>>>
>>> ELKS 0.2.0
>>> login:
>>>
>>> My environment is Windows 10 host running Ubuntu linux in virtualbox,
>>> and then qemu running in vbox and elks running in  qemu.
>>>
>>> I suspect this error is an issue with so many layers of
>>> virtualization.  Is there any hope of making this work or do I need a
>>> more hospitable environment to use elks netwrorking?
>> --

* Re: /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-05  3:58       ` Jody Bruchon
From: Jody Bruchon @ 2017-03-05  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ELKS

On 2017-03-04 10:17 PM, Derek Johansen wrote:
> After pulling in all of todays changes, I see these errors again as
> described in original email.  Previously I had not enabled networking
> or the ne2k driver, and the problem was fixed when I enabled them
> during the ./build.sh script.  Now I enable them during the ./uild.sh
> script and when I start ELKS with sudo ./qemu.sh these errors are
> back.
I forgot to pull in config.h for the new ethernet init call. Fixed in
the latest commit (commit 3e48ec5) and doesn't error out in QEMU anymore.

* Re: /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-05  4:45         ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-05  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jody Bruchon; +Cc: ELKS

Thanks Jody.  That worked. But...

Next problem :-

Using this latest build, I start qemu with sudo ./qemu.sh (no edits to
any files after the git pull)

On ELKS:

login as root

>cd /bin
>ls
>netstat -h

<<<HANG>>>>

The problem: Calling netstat -h hangs qemu.

Thanks,
Derek

@ 2017-03-05  6:41           ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-05  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jody Bruchon; +Cc: ELKS

Another perturbation along these lines.  If I start qemu.sh configured
to use httpd, then from my web browser navigate to
http://localhost:8080, I see the web browser served from ELKS as
expected.

  If i start netstat in ELKS, then  try to navigate to
http://localhost:8080 from my browser, the browser spins for a few
minutes then errors out with an error page "Server not found"

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jody.  That worked. But...
>
> Next problem :-
>
> Using this latest build, I start qemu with sudo ./qemu.sh (no edits to
> any files after the git pull)
>
> On ELKS:
>
> login as root
>
>>cd /bin
>>ls
>>netstat -h
>
> <<<HANG>>>>
>
> The problem: Calling netstat -h hangs qemu.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek
>
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM, Jody Bruchon <jody@jodybruchon.com> wrote:
>> On 2017-03-04 10:17 PM, Derek Johansen wrote:
>>>
>>> After pulling in all of todays changes, I see these errors again as
>>> described in original email.  Previously I had not enabled networking
>>> or the ne2k driver, and the problem was fixed when I enabled them
>>> during the ./build.sh script.  Now I enable them during the ./uild.sh
>>> script and when I start ELKS with sudo ./qemu.sh these errors are
>>> back.
>>
>> I forgot to pull in config.h for the new ethernet init call. Fixed in the
>> latest commit (commit 3e48ec5) and doesn't error out in QEMU anymore.
>>
>> --

* Re: /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-05  8:56             ` Georg Potthast 2
From: Georg Potthast 2 @ 2017-03-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jody Bruchon, Derek Johansen; +Cc: ELKS

Derek,

I tried to follow your observations but netstat does not hang here and I can access the httpd server before and after entering the netstat command as well.

By the way, netstat on ELKS does not read any command line parameters.

Georg

> Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> hat am 5. März 2017 um 07:41 geschrieben:
>

> Another perturbation along these lines.  If I start qemu.sh configured
> to use httpd, then from my web browser navigate to
> http://localhost:8080, I see the web browser served from ELKS as
> expected.
>
>   If i start netstat in ELKS, then  try to navigate to
> http://localhost:8080 from my browser, the browser spins for a few
> minutes then errors out with an error page "Server not found"
>
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Jody.  That worked. But...
> >
> > Next problem :-
> >
> > Using this latest build, I start qemu with sudo ./qemu.sh (no edits to
> > any files after the git pull)
> >
> > On ELKS:
> >
> > login as root
> >
> >>cd /bin
> >>ls
> >>netstat -h
> >
> > <<<HANG>>>>
> >
> > The problem: Calling netstat -h hangs qemu.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Derek

> >> I forgot to pull in config.h for the new ethernet init call. Fixed in the
> >> latest commit (commit 3e48ec5) and doesn't error out in QEMU anymore.
> >>
> >> --

* Re: /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-05  9:21               ` Derek Johansen
From: Derek Johansen @ 2017-03-05  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Georg Potthast 2; +Cc: Jody Bruchon, ELKS

I had a networking config option in my build unchecked while trying to
resolve the earlier issue. Now I occasionally get the netstat report
but I can still get it to hang.,

Try this scenario, it seems a little more reproducible:

open Qemu/ELKS configured for telnet/http
from host, enter telnet 127.0.0.1 2323
from ELKS enter netstat
if you get invalid socket error, type netstat again -- for me it hangs
if you get a valid netstat report, hit the enter key on your telnet session
then try netstat again in ELKS.  I get invalid socket
try netstat again in ELKS.  I get a hung system atthis point

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Georg Potthast 2
<nospam@georgpotthast.de> wrote:
> Derek,
>
> I tried to follow your observations but netstat does not hang here and I can access the httpd server before and after entering the netstat command as well.
>
> By the way, netstat on ELKS does not read any command line parameters.
>
> Georg
>
>> Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> hat am 5. März 2017 um 07:41 geschrieben:
>>

>> Another perturbation along these lines.  If I start qemu.sh configured
>> to use httpd, then from my web browser navigate to
>> http://localhost:8080, I see the web browser served from ELKS as
>> expected.
>>
>>   If i start netstat in ELKS, then  try to navigate to
>> http://localhost:8080 from my browser, the browser spins for a few
>> minutes then errors out with an error page "Server not found"
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Derek Johansen <djohanse678@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks Jody.  That worked. But...
>> >
>> > Next problem :-
>> >
>> > Using this latest build, I start qemu with sudo ./qemu.sh (no edits to
>> > any files after the git pull)
>> >
>> > On ELKS:
>> >
>> > login as root

>> > <<<HANG>>>>
>> >
>> > The problem: Calling netstat -h hangs qemu.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Derek

* Re: /dev/eth error
@ 2017-03-05 10:01                 ` Georg Potthast 2
From: Georg Potthast 2 @ 2017-03-05 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Johansen; +Cc: ELKS

Derek,

I am a bit confused. On ELKS, to my knowledge, there is no telnet server available. How do you manage to connect from the host to ELKS using a telnet client on the host?

Georg