* How to mark a complete sub-directory assume-unchanged/skip-worktree?
@ 2014-02-27 17:25 Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2014-02-27 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git List

I'm having a long think (sickness R&R) about the possible options for a
narrow clone implementation.

Is there currently any way in the code base that a complete
sub-directory can be marked as 'missing' as could be the case for a
narrow clone? The assume-unchanged/skip-worktree are close but only
applies to filepaths/blobs, rather than trees.

At the moment 'Cached tree' index extension does list the sha1 for
unchanged sub-drectories for ease of creating tree's for new commits,
but I couldn't see if it could be (ab)used to support a narrow clone.

Have there been previous attempts to look at marking sub-dirs
as --skip-worktree, or some other sentinel value for the missing tree?

---
Philip Oakley

* Re: How to mark a complete sub-directory assume-unchanged/skip-worktree?
@ 2014-02-27 23:26 ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2014-02-27 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley; +Cc: Git List

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Philip Oakley <philipoakley@iee.org> wrote:
> Have there been previous attempts to look at marking sub-dirs as
> --skip-worktree, or some other sentinel value for the missing tree?

I dealt with this by creating partial index, that only contains
entries for interested subtrees. The index also stores the base tree
SHA-1, so write-tree can still create (full) new trees correctly from
partial index.
--
Duy

* Re: How to mark a complete sub-directory assume-unchanged/skip-worktree?
@ 2014-02-27 23:46   ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2014-02-27 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duy Nguyen; +Cc: Git List

From: "Duy Nguyen" <pclouds@gmail.com>
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Philip Oakley <philipoakley@iee.org>
> wrote:
>> Have there been previous attempts to look at marking sub-dirs as
>> --skip-worktree, or some other sentinel value for the missing tree?
>
> I dealt with this by creating partial index, that only contains
> entries for interested subtrees. The index also stores the base tree
> SHA-1, so write-tree can still create (full) new trees correctly from
> partial index.
> --
> Duy

Is there a particular bit of code I'd be worth studying for the partial
index example to see how well it might fit my ideas?

--
Philip

* Re: How to mark a complete sub-directory assume-unchanged/skip-worktree?
@ 2014-02-28  0:58     ` Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2014-02-28  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley; +Cc: Git List

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Philip Oakley <philipoakley@iee.org> wrote:
> Is there a particular bit of code I'd be worth studying for the partial
> index example to see how well it might fit my ideas?

My last attempt was
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-00-17-Narrow-clone-v3-was-subtree-clone-tt5499879.html
If you're interested in the index part then see 15/17 and maybe 03/17
and 04/17. I can try to rebase and publish the series somewhere if you
want to try it out.
--
Duy

* Re: How to mark a complete sub-directory assume-unchanged/skip-worktree?
@ 2014-02-28  8:38       ` Philip Oakley
From: Philip Oakley @ 2014-02-28  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duy Nguyen; +Cc: Git List

From: "Duy Nguyen" <pclouds@gmail.com>
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Philip Oakley <philipoakley@iee.org>
> wrote:
>> Is there a particular bit of code I'd be worth studying for the
>> partial
>> index example to see how well it might fit my ideas?
>
> My last attempt was
> http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/PATCH-00-17-Narrow-clone-v3-was-subtree-clone-tt5499879.html
> If you're interested in the index part then see 15/17 and maybe 03/17
> and 04/17. I can try to rebase and publish the series somewhere if you
> want to try it out.
> --
> Duy
> --
Thanks for that pointer.  I'll look it out and see how well it matched
my ideas, and reflect on any differences to pick up learning points
early!

Philip