* how to showing a merge graph?
@ 2016-08-30 13:10 Duy Nguyen
From: Duy Nguyen @ 2016-08-30 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to see a "git log --oneline --graph" with all non-merge commits
removed, but history is rewritten so that the merge commits represent
the entire topics and are shown to have all the parents of the base
commits. e.g. if the full graph is

*   8118403 Merge commit 'bbb2437'
|\
| * bbb2437 3p
| * dfde6b9 2p
* | 9c0aeb2 2
|/
* 8db1c06 1

I just want to see

*   8118403 Merge commit 'bbb2437'
|\
| |
|/
* 8db1c06 1

I had a quick look of rev-list-options.txt but couldn't find anything
that does that (--simplify-merges looks different), and revision.c is
not that familiar to me to figure this out by myself. Help?
--
Duy

* Re: how to showing a merge graph?
@ 2016-08-30 14:19 ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2016-08-30 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duy Nguyen venit, vidit, dixit 30.08.2016 15:10:
> I want to see a "git log --oneline --graph" with all non-merge commits
> removed, but history is rewritten so that the merge commits represent
> the entire topics and are shown to have all the parents of the base
> commits. e.g. if the full graph is
>
> *   8118403 Merge commit 'bbb2437'
> |\
> | * bbb2437 3p
> | * dfde6b9 2p
> * | 9c0aeb2 2
> |/
> * 8db1c06 1
>
> I just want to see
>
> *   8118403 Merge commit 'bbb2437'
> |\
> | |
> |/
> * 8db1c06 1
>
> I had a quick look of rev-list-options.txt but couldn't find anything
> that does that (--simplify-merges looks different), and revision.c is
> not that familiar to me to figure this out by myself. Help?

I don't think anything (we have) would give you two lines connecting the
same two commits directly, i.e. a double edge in the graph as you
indicate above.

Michael