* iptables doesn't function properly with x32.
@ 2013-07-01 19:44 Kyle Sanderson
From: Kyle Sanderson @ 2013-07-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel; +Cc: netfilter

Hello,

I can't seem to get iptables functioning on my x32 system. I've tried
versions (1.4.16.3 and 1.4.19.1), however both result in the same
error message: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Invalid
argument.

Walking through the error with gdb shows the failure is in a call to
struct xtc_handle * TC_INIT(const char *tablename). The function if
(getsockopt(h->sockfd, TC_IPPROTO, SO_GET_ENTRIES, h->entries, &tmp) <
0) sets errno to EINVAL, which results in the failure. fw in #Netdev
seemed to indicate the compat layer might not be being used due to the
platform change.

I've tried various recompiles of Kernel 3.8.13 and Kernel 3.9.8. I'm
running iproute2 as well, this is all on Gentoo.

Thanks for your time,
Kyle.

* Re: iptables doesn't function properly with x32.
@ 2013-07-02  3:11 ` Kyle Sanderson
From: Kyle Sanderson @ 2013-07-02  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel; +Cc: netfilter

Took me a while to figure out unfortunately, forcing m32 or m64
definitely works to restore functionality. My guess is the types don't
line up somewhere (expecting 8 byte pointers on x32), which will
result in a mismatched size, and then the error. Hopefully this helps
someone!

Kyle.