* Audit log compression
@ 2018-06-27 17:11 Wyatt, Curtis R
From: Wyatt, Curtis R @ 2018-06-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

What is the best/preferred method for compressing audit logs?

I was thinking logrotate wouldn't work because auditd usually rotates it's own logs and is smarter about rotating logs (I.e., based on log size as opposed to having to wait before log rotate is kicked off).

Thanks

* Re: Audit log compression
@ 2018-06-27 17:14 ` leam hall
From: leam hall @ 2018-06-27 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

logrotate can be configured nicely. First big step is looking at
what's going into the logs though. Are you logging at INFO level and
do you need that. I've seen that be 90% or more of the log entries.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Wyatt, Curtis R <Curtis.Wyatt@gd-ms.com> wrote:
> What is the best/preferred method for compressing audit logs?
>
> I was thinking logrotate wouldn't work because auditd usually rotates it's
> own logs and is smarter about rotating logs (I.e., based on log size as
> opposed to having to wait before log rotate is kicked off).
>
> Thanks

* RE: Audit log compression
@ 2018-06-28 16:20 Wyatt, Curtis R
From: Wyatt, Curtis R @ 2018-06-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leamhall; +Cc: linux-audit

Our audit.rules file is governed by requirements, so we cannot reduce the amount of log data being generated.