* A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
       [not found] <CACzyEJ_3BRjn4s7ADey9uuQpGhgWKeuuyxGVL09HuLAzJ3LqTQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-03-05  6:54 ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-05  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
- http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/

With the help of hands-on kernel lab (thank you Tom and Darren), I am
able to make kernel with sched_deadline enabled.

Now, I am having some trouble of adding testing tools to this meta-dl,
and hope I can get some help from you.

- problem: adding a new software into my meta-dl layer

- symtom and questions?
1. bitbake core-image-minimal (normal image build) won't include the
additional program that I listed in .bb file below
2. If I do "bitbake schedtool-dl -c install" it builds and install,
but at "i586" location instead of my machine staging rootfs
(dl-qemux86)

- Here is my .bb file that pulls an additional program.
https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-tools/schedtool-dl/schedtool-dl.bb
===
DESCRIPTION = "schedtool-dl (scheduler test tool) for deadline scheduler"
HOMEPAGE = "https://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl"
SECTION = "base"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
"file://Makefile;endline=55;md5=e4b4e8ed9c2132e1d727a1bb5e3bd984"
PR = "r1"

SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl.git;protocol=git"
SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"

S = "${WORKDIR}/git"

do_compile() {
        oe_runmake
}

do_install() {
        oe_runmake install DESTDIR=${D}
}

PARALLEL_MAKE = ""

BBCLASSEXTEND = "native"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_dl-qemux86 = "dl-qemux86"
====

- I've updated my conf/layer.conf file to include above file
https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/conf/layer.conf
====
# We have a conf and classes directory, add to BBPATH
BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"

# We have a recipes directory, add to BBFILES
BBFILES := "${BBFILES} ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bb \
        ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bbappend"

BBFILE_COLLECTIONS += "dl-qemux86"
BBFILE_PATTERN_dl-qemux86 := "^${LAYERDIR}/"
BBFILE_PRIORITY_dl-qemux86 = "6"
=====

Thank you.

Regards,

Insop

- ref:
1. sched_deadline:
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-europe/song
2. sched_deadline:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/slides/elc2013_kobayashi.pdf?a

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
       [not found] <CACzyEJ_3BRjn4s7ADey9uuQpGhgWKeuuyxGVL09HuLAzJ3LqTQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-03-05  9:19 ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-05  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: dvhart, tom.zanussi

Hi all,

I've done some more work and figured out what was to be changed to
include a new program to my meta-dl.

This is the change, please let me know if you have any comment.

https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/commit/6f7c4dc9b66e38a1fedb4a9fd80d644d3f37aced

Thank you,

@ 2013-03-07  4:00   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-07  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: yocto, j.lelli

On 13-03-05 1:54 AM, Insop Song wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/

FYI: I've already merged and staged sched_dl in linux-yocto_3.8:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.8/log/?h=standard/edf

I'll be supporting it there as well, so it makes sense to coordinate
our efforts around kernels, configurations and benchmarks.

Juri and I talked about this @ ELC a few weeks ago (I've added
him to the cc as well), and rather than hiding sched_deadline
kernel support in a custom kernel layer, I'd like to try and get
more eyes on it via linux-yocto .. so if we can all coordinate our
efforts here, that would be much better.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-07  4:24     ` Juri Lelli
From: Juri Lelli @ 2013-03-07  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

Hi,

On 03/06/2013 08:00 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-03-05 1:54 AM, Insop Song wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
>> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
>> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
>> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/
>
> FYI: I've already merged and staged sched_dl in linux-yocto_3.8:
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.8/log/?h=standard/edf
>
> I'll be supporting it there as well, so it makes sense to coordinate
> our efforts around kernels, configurations and benchmarks.
>
> Juri and I talked about this @ ELC a few weeks ago (I've added
> him to the cc as well), and rather than hiding sched_deadline
> kernel support in a custom kernel layer, I'd like to try and get
> more eyes on it via linux-yocto .. so if we can all coordinate our
> efforts here, that would be much better.

Thanks a lot for your support! I'm already in contact with Insop, it
would be great to coordinate among ourselves.

As I already told to Insop, I don't have any automated test for the
patchset, but I usually run different scenarios using basically this
two tools (and giving a look at simple cases through kernelshark):

1- schedtool-dl: https://github.com/jlelli/schedtool-dl
    the idea here is to let a 'yes' run through SCHED_DEADLINE and
    check through kernelshark that the bandwidth enforcement
    mechanism works.

2- rt-app: https://github.com/gbagnoli/rt-app
    with this I usually let some tasksets run for several hours on
    a 48-cores machine we have in our lab, I can provide the tasksets
    (json files) and the script to run them.

Please let me know how I can help further.

Best Regards,

- Juri

>> With the help of hands-on kernel lab (thank you Tom and Darren), I am
>> able to make kernel with sched_deadline enabled.
>>

>> Now, I am having some trouble of adding testing tools to this meta-dl,
>> and hope I can get some help from you.
>>
>> - problem: adding a new software into my meta-dl layer
>>
>> - symtom and questions?
>> 1. bitbake core-image-minimal (normal image build) won't include the
>> additional program that I listed in .bb file below
>> 2. If I do "bitbake schedtool-dl -c install" it builds and install,
>> but at "i586" location instead of my machine staging rootfs
>> (dl-qemux86)
>>

>> - Here is my .bb file that pulls an additional program.
>> https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-tools/schedtool-dl/schedtool-dl.bb
>> ===
>> DESCRIPTION = "schedtool-dl (scheduler test tool) for deadline scheduler"
>> HOMEPAGE = "https://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl"
>> SECTION = "base"
>> LICENSE = "GPLv2"
>> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
>> "file://Makefile;endline=55;md5=e4b4e8ed9c2132e1d727a1bb5e3bd984"
>> PR = "r1"
>>
>> SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl.git;protocol=git"
>> SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"
>>
>> S = "${WORKDIR}/git"
>>
>> do_compile() {
>>           oe_runmake
>> }
>>
>> do_install() {
>>           oe_runmake install DESTDIR=${D}
>> }
>>
>> PARALLEL_MAKE = ""
>>
>> BBCLASSEXTEND = "native"
>>
>> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_dl-qemux86 = "dl-qemux86"
>> ====
>>

>> - I've updated my conf/layer.conf file to include above file
>> https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/conf/layer.conf
>> ====
>> # We have a conf and classes directory, add to BBPATH
>> BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"
>>
>> # We have a recipes directory, add to BBFILES
>> BBFILES := "${BBFILES} ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bb \
>>           ${LAYERDIR}/recipes-*/*/*.bbappend"
>>
>> BBFILE_COLLECTIONS += "dl-qemux86"
>> BBFILE_PATTERN_dl-qemux86 := "^${LAYERDIR}/"
>> BBFILE_PRIORITY_dl-qemux86 = "6"
>> =====
>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Insop
>>

>> - ref:
>> 1. sched_deadline:
>> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-europe/song
>> 2. sched_deadline:
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/slides/elc2013_kobayashi.pdf?a

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-07  5:05     ` Insop Song
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-07  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Lelli, yocto

Bruce,

That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
(https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)

The purposes of meta-dl are the following three:
1. easy to use sched_deadline by providing recipes-kernel that includes
- git url including github and from yocto-kernel

2. easy to test and validate sched_deadline with automated
reproducible test suits
- currently, rt-app and schedtool are included in meta-dl
- will add test scripts

3. provide and test on different targets/bsps
- will prepare and test on different targets (bsp)

#1 is done as I've tested with kernel from github from Juri and
yocto-kernel-3.8 that you've merged.
#2 and #3 are in-progress.

I've talked Juri the other day and gather information on testing
methods and scripts so I will include this to meta-dl.

I agree that it's good to coordinate the effort, so please feel free
to let me know if you have any suggestion.

Regards,

Insop

* updated kernel recipes
@ -9,12 +9,15 @@ inherit kernel

 #SRCREV ="031d31cfaa1e0c00122bf52639e340353d3b8360"
 SRCREV ="${AUTOREV}"
-KBRANCH = "sched-dl-V7"
-SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/sched-deadline;protocol=git;branch=${KBRANCH}
\
+#KBRANCH = "sched-dl-V7"
+#SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/sched-deadline;protocol=git;branch=${KBRANCH}
\
+#           file://defconfig "
+KBRANCH = "standard/edf"
+SRC_URI = "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.8;protocol=git;branch=${KBRANCH}
\
            file://defconfig "

 PV = "3.8"
-PR = "dl7"
+PR = "dl"

 KSRC ?= ""
 S = '${@base_conditional("KSRC", "", "${WORKDIR}/git", "${KSRC}", d)}'

Thank you.

Insop

@ 2013-03-07  8:26       ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-07  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Lelli, yocto

Hi Bruce,

One more question on 3.8 kernel.
Is "meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bb" added soon as well in 1.4?

I am using 1.4_M4.final now.

Thank you.

Insop

@ 2013-03-07 13:53       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-07 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Lelli; +Cc: yocto

On 13-03-06 11:24 PM, Juri Lelli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/06/2013 08:00 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 13-03-05 1:54 AM, Insop Song wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
>>> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
>>> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
>>> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/
>>
>> FYI: I've already merged and staged sched_dl in linux-yocto_3.8:
>>
>> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.8/log/?h=standard/edf
>>

>> I'll be supporting it there as well, so it makes sense to coordinate
>> our efforts around kernels, configurations and benchmarks.
>>
>> Juri and I talked about this @ ELC a few weeks ago (I've added
>> him to the cc as well), and rather than hiding sched_deadline
>> kernel support in a custom kernel layer, I'd like to try and get
>> more eyes on it via linux-yocto .. so if we can all coordinate our
>> efforts here, that would be much better.
>>

> Thanks a lot for your support! I'm already in contact with Insop, it
> would be great to coordinate among ourselves.

Thanks Juri, I was going to add you to my linux-yocto-3.8 announcement
email and due to some last minute debug activities .. it slipped my
mind. So I'm using this thread to let you, and anyone else that is
interested know that sched_deadline support is available to try out
in linux-yocto-3.8.

> As I already told to Insop, I don't have any automated test for the
> patchset, but I usually run different scenarios using basically this
> two tools (and giving a look at simple cases through kernelshark):
>
> 1- schedtool-dl: https://github.com/jlelli/schedtool-dl
>     the idea here is to let a 'yes' run through SCHED_DEADLINE and
>     check through kernelshark that the bandwidth enforcement
>     mechanism works.
>
> 2- rt-app: https://github.com/gbagnoli/rt-app
>     with this I usually let some tasksets run for several hours on
>     a 48-cores machine we have in our lab, I can provide the tasksets
>     (json files) and the script to run them.
>
> Please let me know how I can help further.

This is a good start. I have some old references to tests that I'll
dig up as well.

I'm looking to develop some "real world" examples of the scheduler
class in action, since as we've been saying .. getting those examples
will both help the approach and perhaps help get it merged into the
mainline kernel.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-07 14:04       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-07 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: Juri Lelli, Darren Hart, yocto

On 13-03-07 12:05 AM, Insop Song wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
> (https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)

I have another suggestion to offer here, one I've been wanting to
do for a bit.

I've added Darren Hart to the thread, since I'd like to hear from
him on this as well.

I have a use for the scheduling tools and benchmark cases for some
virtualization usecases (meta-virtualization on git.yoctoproject.org).

We already have "recipes-rt" in oe-core, and the preempt-rt kernel
available from linux-yocto, and as we've been discussing I've added
support for EDF/sched_dealine in linux-yocto-3.8.

I'm not a fan of having to many layers, but rather than putting these
efforts in github layers, hiding them in meta-virtualiation and they
aren't yet "core" enough to go in oe-core .. I'd rather see them
conslidated in a "meta-realtime" (or whatever name we decide on)
layer on git.yoctoproject.org.

There are also ideas around interrupt management, AMP, and alternative
system partitioning that I'd like to drive into such a layer.

A quick scan of the layer index, doesn't show anything that matches
this description. So I'm suggesting that we create a new layer
to consolidate these approaches, and a layer that can be consumed by
some of the other layers that are currently in progress.

Comments ? In particular, point out a layer that already does this that
I've missed.

> The purposes of meta-dl are the following three:
> 1. easy to use sched_deadline by providing recipes-kernel that includes
> - git url including github and from yocto-kernel
>
> 2. easy to test and validate sched_deadline with automated
> reproducible test suits
> - currently, rt-app and schedtool are included in meta-dl
> - will add test scripts
>
> 3. provide and test on different targets/bsps
> - will prepare and test on different targets (bsp)
>
> #1 is done as I've tested with kernel from github from Juri and
> yocto-kernel-3.8 that you've merged.
> #2 and #3 are in-progress.
>
> I've talked Juri the other day and gather information on testing
> methods and scripts so I will include this to meta-dl.
>
> I agree that it's good to coordinate the effort, so please feel free
> to let me know if you have any suggestion.

See above. I'd like to consolidate things even more :)

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-07 14:05         ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-07 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

On 13-03-07 03:26 AM, Insop Song wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> One more question on 3.8 kernel.
> Is "meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.8.bb" added soon as well in 1.4?

It's in master as of a few days ago. So it's available and
ready for use.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-07 14:08       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-07 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

On 13-03-07 12:05 AM, Insop Song wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
> (https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)
>
> The purposes of meta-dl are the following three:
> 1. easy to use sched_deadline by providing recipes-kernel that includes
> - git url including github and from yocto-kernel
>
> 2. easy to test and validate sched_deadline with automated
> reproducible test suits
> - currently, rt-app and schedtool are included in meta-dl
> - will add test scripts
>
> 3. provide and test on different targets/bsps
> - will prepare and test on different targets (bsp)
>
> #1 is done as I've tested with kernel from github from Juri and
> yocto-kernel-3.8 that you've merged.
> #2 and #3 are in-progress.
>
> I've talked Juri the other day and gather information on testing
> methods and scripts so I will include this to meta-dl.
>
> I agree that it's good to coordinate the effort, so please feel free
> to let me know if you have any suggestion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Insop
>
> * updated kernel recipes
> @ -9,12 +9,15 @@ inherit kernel
>
>   #SRCREV ="031d31cfaa1e0c00122bf52639e340353d3b8360"
>   SRCREV ="${AUTOREV}"
> -KBRANCH = "sched-dl-V7"
> -SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/sched-deadline;protocol=git;branch=${KBRANCH}
> \
> +#KBRANCH = "sched-dl-V7"
> +#SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/sched-deadline;protocol=git;branch=${KBRANCH}
> \
> +#           file://defconfig "
> +KBRANCH = "standard/edf"
> +SRC_URI = "git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.8;protocol=git;branch=${KBRANCH}
> \
>              file://defconfig "

What do you have in your "defconfig" ? I'm about to push patches that
will make enabling sched_dealine a KERNEL_FEATURE option, which makes
it even easier to use.

But in the meantime, if you want to enable the support on a yocto BSP,
you can change your "defconfig" to be "sched-deadline.cfg" and only
put the kernel options required to enable the feature.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-07 21:43         ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-07 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

Hi Bruce,

> What do you have in your "defconfig" ? I'm about to push patches that
> will make enabling sched_dealine a KERNEL_FEATURE option, which makes
> it even easier to use.

Here is my defconfg
https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-kernel/linux/linux/defconfig

I've asked this to Juri, too. So this is for the config for sched_deadline
"Every defconfig kernel should compile and work
fine (given HZ=1000, NO_HZ not set and HRTIMERS=y)"

And here are the CONFIG that should set  (Juri, please let us know if
I miss anything)
------
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL = y
CONFIG_CGROUPS = y
CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED = n
CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS = y
CONFIG_PREEMPT = y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT = y
CONFIG_HZ_1000 = y

# CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set

------

> But in the meantime, if you want to enable the support on a yocto BSP,
> you can change your "defconfig" to be "sched-deadline.cfg" and only
> put the kernel options required to enable the feature.

I will pick up yocto-3.8 bb file from "master" branch and will try
this way shortly.

Regards,

Insop

@ 2013-03-07 21:49         ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-07 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

> Thanks Juri, I was going to add you to my linux-yocto-3.8 announcement
> email and due to some last minute debug activities .. it slipped my
> mind. So I'm using this thread to let you, and anyone else that is
> interested know that sched_deadline support is available to try out
> in linux-yocto-3.8.

Could you also add me in the announcement list?

>> As I already told to Insop, I don't have any automated test for the
>> patchset, but I usually run different scenarios using basically this
>> two tools (and giving a look at simple cases through kernelshark):
>>
>> 1- schedtool-dl: https://github.com/jlelli/schedtool-dl
>>     the idea here is to let a 'yes' run through SCHED_DEADLINE and
>>     check through kernelshark that the bandwidth enforcement
>>     mechanism works.
>>
>> 2- rt-app: https://github.com/gbagnoli/rt-app
>>     with this I usually let some tasksets run for several hours on
>>     a 48-cores machine we have in our lab, I can provide the tasksets
>>     (json files) and the script to run them.
>>
>> Please let me know how I can help further.
>

> This is a good start. I have some old references to tests that I'll
> dig up as well.

You can check this recipes-tool to find out the above programs
(configuration and installation) in here,
https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/sched-dl-V7/recipes-tools

> I'm looking to develop some "real world" examples of the scheduler
> class in action, since as we've been saying .. getting those examples
> will both help the approach and perhaps help get it merged into the
> mainline kernel.

I've been looking application descriptions when I was in Ericsson, and
provided cases to Thomas and Juri.
I am interested in this as well, and include them in easy-to test/validate form.

I will also reply to your other mail shortly.

Regards,

Insop

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-07 22:02           ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-07 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

One observation and question:

1. I can build core-image-minimal/sato with meta-dl (with github 3.8
or yocto-3.8 kernel) with yocto on "danny-8.0" tag
2. I cannot build a successfully bootable core-image-minimal (with
meta-dl) with yocto on "1.4_M4" tag,
the image was stuck during booting..

My build machine is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Before I debug more, I want to check with you to see if there is any
thing that you can think of.
Since I am planning to move to the yocto's master, so that I can pick
up "linux-yocto_3.8.bb".

Thank you,

Insop

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:05 AM, Bruce Ashfield

@ 2013-03-08  1:45           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-08  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

On 13-03-07 4:43 PM, Insop Song wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>

>> What do you have in your "defconfig" ? I'm about to push patches that
>> will make enabling sched_dealine a KERNEL_FEATURE option, which makes
>> it even easier to use.
>>

> Here is my defconfg
> https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-kernel/linux/linux/defconfig
>
> I've asked this to Juri, too. So this is for the config for sched_deadline
> "Every defconfig kernel should compile and work
> fine (given HZ=1000, NO_HZ not set and HRTIMERS=y)"
>
> And here are the CONFIG that should set  (Juri, please let us know if
> I miss anything)
> ------
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL = y
> CONFIG_CGROUPS = y
> CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED = n
> CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS = y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT = y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT = y
> CONFIG_HZ_1000 = y

So this is all that you should have in your configuration fragment addon.
We are trying to get people to separate BSP configuration from policy
with feature addons being incremental blocks of CONFIG_ items aded
at the end.

There's a base policy in place for every linux-yocto based BSP, all
you need to do is turn on the options that you want for your feature.

That way, as we migrate through kernel versions, tweak performance
options, etc, there is a central policy fragment that is changed and
all BSPs are updated. Versus hunting down hundreds of defconfigs, in
various layers and attempting to get them all synchronized and updated.

For non linux-yocto BSPs, as of 1.4 we can share the out of tree
kernel configuration fragments, and implement a similar policy. If we
are seeking to synchronize efforts, trying to use the configuration
extensions that are available makes a lot of sense to me!

> # CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set
>
> ------
>
>> But in the meantime, if you want to enable the support on a yocto BSP,
>> you can change your "defconfig" to be "sched-deadline.cfg" and only
>> put the kernel options required to enable the feature.
>
> I will pick up yocto-3.8 bb file from "master" branch and will try
> this way shortly.

Sounds good!

Bruce

@ 2013-03-08  1:46           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-08  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song
  Cc: Juri Lelli,
	Development list for the linux-yocto*.git Linux kernel
	repositories, yocto

On 13-03-07 4:49 PM, Insop Song wrote:

>> Thanks Juri, I was going to add you to my linux-yocto-3.8 announcement
>> email and due to some last minute debug activities .. it slipped my
>> mind. So I'm using this thread to let you, and anyone else that is
>> interested know that sched_deadline support is available to try out
>> in linux-yocto-3.8.
>>

> Could you also add me in the announcement list?

I can definitely do that.

Also if you sign up for the linux-yocto@yoctoproject.org
mailing list, that's where announcements and kernel feature discussions
happen around linux-yocto. It would be a great place (versus this
main yocto mailing list) to talk about sched_deadline in particular.

>>> As I already told to Insop, I don't have any automated test for the
>>> patchset, but I usually run different scenarios using basically this
>>> two tools (and giving a look at simple cases through kernelshark):
>>>
>>> 1- schedtool-dl: https://github.com/jlelli/schedtool-dl
>>>      the idea here is to let a 'yes' run through SCHED_DEADLINE and
>>>      check through kernelshark that the bandwidth enforcement
>>>      mechanism works.
>>>
>>> 2- rt-app: https://github.com/gbagnoli/rt-app
>>>      with this I usually let some tasksets run for several hours on
>>>      a 48-cores machine we have in our lab, I can provide the tasksets
>>>      (json files) and the script to run them.
>>>
>>> Please let me know how I can help further.
>>

>> This is a good start. I have some old references to tests that I'll
>> dig up as well.
>>

> You can check this recipes-tool to find out the above programs
> (configuration and installation) in here,
> https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/sched-dl-V7/recipes-tools
>

>> I'm looking to develop some "real world" examples of the scheduler
>> class in action, since as we've been saying .. getting those examples
>> will both help the approach and perhaps help get it merged into the
>> mainline kernel.
>>

> I've been looking application descriptions when I was in Ericsson, and
> provided cases to Thomas and Juri.
> I am interested in this as well, and include them in easy-to test/validate form.

Great!

Bruce

@ 2013-03-08  1:47             ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-08  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: Juri Lelli, yocto

On 13-03-07 5:02 PM, Insop Song wrote:
> One observation and question:
>
> 1. I can build core-image-minimal/sato with meta-dl (with github 3.8
> or yocto-3.8 kernel) with yocto on "danny-8.0" tag
> 2. I cannot build a successfully bootable core-image-minimal (with
> meta-dl) with yocto on "1.4_M4" tag,
> the image was stuck during booting..
>
> My build machine is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> Before I debug more, I want to check with you to see if there is any
> thing that you can think of.
> Since I am planning to move to the yocto's master, so that I can pick
> up "linux-yocto_3.8.bb".

Nothing comes to mind. It all depends on what target you are using, and
if you are using the 'defconfig' that you mentioned earlier. Switching
to the linux-yocto policy and BSP fragments will likely fix your problem.

Bruce

@ 2013-03-08  4:02           ` Juri Lelli
From: Juri Lelli @ 2013-03-08  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: yocto

Hi,

On 03/07/2013 01:43 PM, Insop Song wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>

>> What do you have in your "defconfig" ? I'm about to push patches that
>> will make enabling sched_dealine a KERNEL_FEATURE option, which makes
>> it even easier to use.
>>

> Here is my defconfg
> https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-kernel/linux/linux/defconfig
>
> I've asked this to Juri, too. So this is for the config for sched_deadline
> "Every defconfig kernel should compile and work
> fine (given HZ=1000, NO_HZ not set and HRTIMERS=y)"
>
> And here are the CONFIG that should set  (Juri, please let us know if
> I miss anything)
> ------
> CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL = y
> CONFIG_CGROUPS = y
> CONFIG_CGROUP_SCHED = n
> CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS = y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT = y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT = y
> CONFIG_HZ_1000 = y
>
> # CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set

I actually have:

CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS = y
CONFIG_PREEMPT = y
CONFIG_HZ_1000 = y
# CONFIG_NO_HZ is not set

all the other options are not required (anymore, as the PREEMPT_RT,
since SCHED_DEADLINE is currently based on 3.8-rc7).

Thanks,

- Juri

@ 2013-03-08  4:12             ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-08  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield
  Cc: Development list for the linux-yocto*.git Linux kernel
	repositories, yocto

>> Could you also add me in the announcement list?
>

> I can definitely do that.
>
> Also if you sign up for the linux-yocto@yoctoproject.org
> mailing list, that's where announcements and kernel feature discussions
> happen around linux-yocto. It would be a great place (versus this
> main yocto mailing list) to talk about sched_deadline in particular.

Thank you and I've signed up for linux-yocto@yoctoproject.org, and
will send to that list for the next mail.

Insop

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-08 11:10               ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-08 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

Moved to master and built 3.8 with "standard/edf" branch and all working fine.

Thank you.

Insop

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Bruce Ashfield

@ 2013-03-08 13:27         ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-08 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: Darren Hart, yocto

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield@windriver.com> wrote:
> On 13-03-07 12:05 AM, Insop Song wrote:
>>
>> Bruce,
>>
>> That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
>> (https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)
>

> I have another suggestion to offer here, one I've been wanting to
> do for a bit.
>
> I've added Darren Hart to the thread, since I'd like to hear from
> him on this as well.
>
> I have a use for the scheduling tools and benchmark cases for some
> virtualization usecases (meta-virtualization on git.yoctoproject.org).
>
> We already have "recipes-rt" in oe-core, and the preempt-rt kernel
> available from linux-yocto, and as we've been discussing I've added
> support for EDF/sched_dealine in linux-yocto-3.8.
>
> I'm not a fan of having to many layers, but rather than putting these
> efforts in github layers, hiding them in meta-virtualiation and they
> aren't yet "core" enough to go in oe-core .. I'd rather see them
> conslidated in a "meta-realtime" (or whatever name we decide on)
> layer on git.yoctoproject.org.

meta-realtime sounds good to me, and this can include schedulers
real-time application and testing suits.

> There are also ideas around interrupt management, AMP, and alternative
> system partitioning that I'd like to drive into such a layer.

Good idea to add these continuously to the "meta-realtime"

> A quick scan of the layer index, doesn't show anything that matches
> this description. So I'm suggesting that we create a new layer
> to consolidate these approaches, and a layer that can be consumed by
> some of the other layers that are currently in progress.
>
> Comments ? In particular, point out a layer that already does this that
> I've missed.

I've took out machine related from my previous meta-dl-qemux86 and put
together meta-realtime as a starting point. It has two sched_deadline
testing program.
It's on github for now for your reference, but I am willing to move or
merge to git.yocto.

https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime

Thank you,

Insop

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-08 16:32           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-08 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: Darren Hart, yocto

On 13-03-08 08:27 AM, Insop Song wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:04 AM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield@windriver.com> wrote:
>> On 13-03-07 12:05 AM, Insop Song wrote:
>>>
>>> Bruce,
>>>
>>> That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
>>> (https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)
>>

>> I have another suggestion to offer here, one I've been wanting to
>> do for a bit.
>>
>> I've added Darren Hart to the thread, since I'd like to hear from
>> him on this as well.
>>
>> I have a use for the scheduling tools and benchmark cases for some
>> virtualization usecases (meta-virtualization on git.yoctoproject.org).
>>
>> We already have "recipes-rt" in oe-core, and the preempt-rt kernel
>> available from linux-yocto, and as we've been discussing I've added
>> support for EDF/sched_dealine in linux-yocto-3.8.
>>
>> I'm not a fan of having to many layers, but rather than putting these
>> efforts in github layers, hiding them in meta-virtualiation and they
>> aren't yet "core" enough to go in oe-core .. I'd rather see them
>> conslidated in a "meta-realtime" (or whatever name we decide on)
>> layer on git.yoctoproject.org.
>>

> meta-realtime sounds good to me, and this can include schedulers
> real-time application and testing suits.
>
>> There are also ideas around interrupt management, AMP, and alternative
>> system partitioning that I'd like to drive into such a layer.
>>

> Good idea to add these continuously to the "meta-realtime"
>

>> A quick scan of the layer index, doesn't show anything that matches
>> this description. So I'm suggesting that we create a new layer
>> to consolidate these approaches, and a layer that can be consumed by
>> some of the other layers that are currently in progress.
>>
>> Comments ? In particular, point out a layer that already does this that
>> I've missed.
>>

> I've took out machine related from my previous meta-dl-qemux86 and put
> together meta-realtime as a starting point. It has two sched_deadline
> testing program.
> It's on github for now for your reference, but I am willing to move or
> merge to git.yocto.
>
> https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime

Thanks. I'll have a look, I have my own local meta-realtime as well,
so I can consolidate the two and see about getting them hosted on
git.yoctoproject.org.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-08 17:01 ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-03-08 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: yocto

On 03/04/2013 08:04 PM, Insop Song wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/

Note that qemux86 doesn't support the EMGD graphics driver. You mention
this and its license in the README, but it isn't necessary. If you are
pulling that in, there is a problem with your recipes.

I highly recommend you do not use USB keys for real-time storage. I
would also suggest avoiding the hddimg as a test vehicle as it consumes
memory and other resources for the live image. If anything, use the live
image as an installer only.

For some added safety, consider using poky/contrib/ddimage instead of
dd. It is a simple wrapper script around DD which offers a device
blacklist and uses sysfs to present the user with some helpful
information to confirm the operation.

So you are using the sched_deadline patches, but not PREEMPT_RT, is that
right? I had always assumed sched_deadline ran on top of PREEMPT_RT (but
I haven't every tried building it myself).

What you have here is a good experimental layer. Looking forward, please
consider:

o Incorporating sched_deadline as a kernel feature into the
linux-yocto_3.8 kernel. We can easily add recipes to build a
linux-yocto-deadline kernel and you will get all the benefits of the
yocto tooling, testing, bugfixing, and free forward porting.

o Incorporating your tests into (poky|oe-core)/meta/recipes-rt

> With the help of hands-on kernel lab (thank you Tom and Darren), I am
> able to make kernel with sched_deadline enabled.
>

> Now, I am having some trouble of adding testing tools to this meta-dl,
> and hope I can get some help from you.
>
> - problem: adding a new software into my meta-dl layer
>
> - symtom and questions?
> 1. bitbake core-image-minimal (normal image build) won't include the
> additional program that I listed in .bb file below
> 2. If I do "bitbake schedtool-dl -c install" it builds and install,
> but at "i586" location instead of my machine staging rootfs
> (dl-qemux86)
>

> - Here is my .bb file that pulls an additional program.
> https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/blob/sched-dl-V7/recipes-tools/schedtool-dl/schedtool-dl.bb
> ===
> DESCRIPTION = "schedtool-dl (scheduler test tool) for deadline scheduler"
> HOMEPAGE = "https://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl"
> SECTION = "base"
> LICENSE = "GPLv2"
> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
> "file://Makefile;endline=55;md5=e4b4e8ed9c2132e1d727a1bb5e3bd984"
> PR = "r1"
>
> SRC_URI = "git://github.com/insop/schedtool-dl.git;protocol=git"
> SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"
>
> S = "${WORKDIR}/git"
>
> do_compile() {
> 	oe_runmake
> }
>
> do_install() {
> 	oe_runmake install DESTDIR=${D}
> }
>
> PARALLEL_MAKE = ""

Hopefully you can find the missing dependency in your makefile that
makes this necessary. This slows the build down and cumulatively, this
becomes a problem. This setting should always be considered a band-aid
and should have a comment starting with "FIXME: " ;-)

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-08 17:03         ` Darren Hart
From: Darren Hart @ 2013-03-08 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto

On 03/07/2013 06:04 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 13-03-07 12:05 AM, Insop Song wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
>> (https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)
>
> I have another suggestion to offer here, one I've been wanting to
> do for a bit.
>
> I've added Darren Hart to the thread, since I'd like to hear from
> him on this as well.
>
> I have a use for the scheduling tools and benchmark cases for some
> virtualization usecases (meta-virtualization on git.yoctoproject.org).
>
> We already have "recipes-rt" in oe-core, and the preempt-rt kernel
> available from linux-yocto, and as we've been discussing I've added
> support for EDF/sched_dealine in linux-yocto-3.8.
>
> I'm not a fan of having to many layers, but rather than putting these
> efforts in github layers, hiding them in meta-virtualiation and they
> aren't yet "core" enough to go in oe-core .. I'd rather see them
> conslidated in a "meta-realtime" (or whatever name we decide on)
> layer on git.yoctoproject.org.

I'm fine with that. We should probably consider adding a realtime distro
definition as well at some point soon.

> There are also ideas around interrupt management, AMP, and alternative
> system partitioning that I'd like to drive into such a layer.
>
> A quick scan of the layer index, doesn't show anything that matches
> this description. So I'm suggesting that we create a new layer
> to consolidate these approaches, and a layer that can be consumed by
> some of the other layers that are currently in progress.
>
> Comments ? In particular, point out a layer that already does this that
> I've missed.

No objection. Something outside of core would be better do to the
experimental nature of so much of this stuff.

--

@ 2013-03-08 17:36           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-08 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 13-03-08 12:03 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 03/07/2013 06:04 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 13-03-07 12:05 AM, Insop Song wrote:
>>> Bruce,
>>>
>>> That's very good. I will bring linux-yocto-3.8 kernel to meta-dl.
>>> (https://github.com/insop/meta-dl/tree/linux-yocto-3.8)
>>
>> I have another suggestion to offer here, one I've been wanting to
>> do for a bit.
>>
>> I've added Darren Hart to the thread, since I'd like to hear from
>> him on this as well.
>>
>> I have a use for the scheduling tools and benchmark cases for some
>> virtualization usecases (meta-virtualization on git.yoctoproject.org).
>>
>> We already have "recipes-rt" in oe-core, and the preempt-rt kernel
>> available from linux-yocto, and as we've been discussing I've added
>> support for EDF/sched_dealine in linux-yocto-3.8.
>>
>> I'm not a fan of having to many layers, but rather than putting these
>> efforts in github layers, hiding them in meta-virtualiation and they
>> aren't yet "core" enough to go in oe-core .. I'd rather see them
>> conslidated in a "meta-realtime" (or whatever name we decide on)
>> layer on git.yoctoproject.org.
>

> I'm fine with that. We should probably consider adding a realtime distro
> definition as well at some point soon.

Agreed.

>> There are also ideas around interrupt management, AMP, and alternative
>> system partitioning that I'd like to drive into such a layer.
>>
>> A quick scan of the layer index, doesn't show anything that matches
>> this description. So I'm suggesting that we create a new layer
>> to consolidate these approaches, and a layer that can be consumed by
>> some of the other layers that are currently in progress.
>>
>> Comments ? In particular, point out a layer that already does this that
>> I've missed.
>

> No objection. Something outside of core would be better do to the
> experimental nature of so much of this stuff.

Also agreed. I'll move on getting some parts of this enabled on the
yocto resources.

Cheers,

Bruce

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-08 23:35   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darren Hart; +Cc: yocto

On 13-03-08 12:01 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 03/04/2013 08:04 PM, Insop Song wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
>> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
>> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
>> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/
>
> Note that qemux86 doesn't support the EMGD graphics driver. You mention
> this and its license in the README, but it isn't necessary. If you are
> pulling that in, there is a problem with your recipes.

wow. mailing list delays are making this conversation *extremely*
painful and disjointed.

> I highly recommend you do not use USB keys for real-time storage. I
> would also suggest avoiding the hddimg as a test vehicle as it consumes
> memory and other resources for the live image. If anything, use the live
> image as an installer only.
>
> For some added safety, consider using poky/contrib/ddimage instead of
> dd. It is a simple wrapper script around DD which offers a device
> blacklist and uses sysfs to present the user with some helpful
> information to confirm the operation.
>
> So you are using the sched_deadline patches, but not PREEMPT_RT, is that
> right? I had always assumed sched_deadline ran on top of PREEMPT_RT (but
> I haven't every tried building it myself).

sched_deadline applies to mainline, right on top of CFS as a scheduler
class. So in fact, I wouldn't suggest it with preempt-rt at all at the
moment.

> What you have here is a good experimental layer. Looking forward, please
> consider:
>
> o Incorporating sched_deadline as a kernel feature into the
> linux-yocto_3.8 kernel. We can easily add recipes to build a
> linux-yocto-deadline kernel and you will get all the benefits of the
> yocto tooling, testing, bugfixing, and free forward porting.

Already done. I've had it in linux-yocto-3.8 since I first introduced
it. We just need the supporting userspace to easily change the
scheduler class for a process.

> o Incorporating your tests into (poky|oe-core)/meta/recipes-rt

Or if they aren't fully 'core', our new meta-realtime that I'd like
to have created shortly.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-09 10:32     ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-09 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto, Darren Hart

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield@windriver.com> wrote:
> On 13-03-08 12:01 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>

>> On 03/04/2013 08:04 PM, Insop Song wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am preparing a new meta layer for testing and promoting a
>>> sched_deadline scheduler, called "meta-dl". I am planning to add
>>> scheduler testing tools and different kernel versions as well.
>>> - http://insop.github.com/meta-dl/
>>

>> Note that qemux86 doesn't support the EMGD graphics driver. You mention
>> this and its license in the README, but it isn't necessary. If you are
>> pulling that in, there is a problem with your recipes.
>

> wow. mailing list delays are making this conversation *extremely*
> painful and disjointed.

Darren,
Those that you've mentioned were from yocto kernel lab examples.
I went over and cleaned them up. https://github.com/insop/meta-dl

However, at this point, I am more looking at meta-realtime that uses
yocto-linux-3.8 instead as Bruce's suggestion.
https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime

>> So you are using the sched_deadline patches, but not PREEMPT_RT, is that
>> right? I had always assumed sched_deadline ran on top of PREEMPT_RT (but
>> I haven't every tried building it myself).
>

> sched_deadline applies to mainline, right on top of CFS as a scheduler
> class. So in fact, I wouldn't suggest it with preempt-rt at all at the
> moment.

Right, previously, Juri maintained sched_deadline on top of
preempt-rt, but not any more.

>> What you have here is a good experimental layer. Looking forward, please
>> consider:
>>
>> o Incorporating sched_deadline as a kernel feature into the
>> linux-yocto_3.8 kernel. We can easily add recipes to build a
>> linux-yocto-deadline kernel and you will get all the benefits of the
>> yocto tooling, testing, bugfixing, and free forward porting.
>

> Already done. I've had it in linux-yocto-3.8 since I first introduced
> it. We just need the supporting userspace to easily change the
> scheduler class for a process.

Yup, two apps that can test sched_deadline is at meta-realtime now.
I will prepare some script to make it easier as well.

>> o Incorporating your tests into (poky|oe-core)/meta/recipes-rt
>

> Or if they aren't fully 'core', our new meta-realtime that I'd like
> to have created shortly.

I will be playing with meta-realtime at github until you create one.
Please let me know if you have any other requested program on this layer.

Regards,

Insop

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-11  3:28       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-11  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song; +Cc: yocto, Darren Hart

On 13-03-09 5:32 AM, Insop Song wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield@windriver.com>  wrote:

>>> Note that qemux86 doesn't support the EMGD graphics driver. You mention
>>> this and its license in the README, but it isn't necessary. If you are
>>> pulling that in, there is a problem with your recipes.
>>

>> wow. mailing list delays are making this conversation *extremely*
>> painful and disjointed.
>>

> Darren,
> Those that you've mentioned were from yocto kernel lab examples.
> I went over and cleaned them up. https://github.com/insop/meta-dl
>
> However, at this point, I am more looking at meta-realtime that uses
> yocto-linux-3.8 instead as Bruce's suggestion.
> https://github.com/insop/meta-realtime

Expect that the yocto project hosted meta-realtime will appear in a
week or so. I'm doing the legwork at the moment, but with some travel
in the upcoming week, the initial push will be delayed by a few days.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-11  3:32         ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-11  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: yocto, Darren Hart

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Bruce Ashfield

> Expect that the yocto project hosted meta-realtime will appear in a
> week or so. I'm doing the legwork at the moment, but with some travel
> in the upcoming week, the initial push will be delayed by a few days.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

That's great!
I saw the place holder on the git.yoctoproject this morning.
Please let me know if you need anything for me to do or test.

Regards,

Insop

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-11 14:34           ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-11 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song
  Cc: yocto, Darren Hart, Development list for the linux-yocto repositories

On 13-03-10 11:32 PM, Insop Song wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Bruce Ashfield
>>
>> Expect that the yocto project hosted meta-realtime will appear in a
>> week or so. I'm doing the legwork at the moment, but with some travel
>> in the upcoming week, the initial push will be delayed by a few days.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bruce
>>

> That's great!
> I saw the place holder on the git.yoctoproject this morning.
> Please let me know if you need anything for me to do or test.

I've pushed a bit more of the initial layer structure to the repository.
I'm not rationalizing a few items from your existing layers, and similar
repositories into the single meta-realtime.

As an example, I have a schedtool recipe that uses the
git://gitorious.org/sched_deadline/schedtool-dl.git
repository with a 4 patch series to enable full sched_deadline/EDF
support versus the custom repository that you created on github.
We'll work to unify the edf and other -rt support in the upstream
projects, so we want to reference those trees whenever possible (unless
we get so much development, that a tracking tree makes sense).

Also, don't be concerned that I show up as the only maintainer in the
meta-realtime layer, as I merge parts from your existing layer, credit
will be given and if it is ok with you, I'll have you down as a maintainer
or co-maintainer where it makes sense.

Since I'm going to be out of the office for the next few days, I may
push out my initial merges without much testing, so if you have a
chance to test, and send patches .. that would be a great help.

Cheers,

Bruce

@ 2013-03-11 16:07             ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-11 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield
  Cc: yocto, Darren Hart, Development list for the linux-yocto repositories

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield@windriver.com> wrote:

> As an example, I have a schedtool recipe that uses the
> git://gitorious.org/sched_deadline/schedtool-dl.git
> repository with a 4 patch series to enable full sched_deadline/EDF
> support versus the custom repository that you created on github.
> We'll work to unify the edf and other -rt support in the upstream
> projects, so we want to reference those trees whenever possible (unless
> we get so much development, that a tracking tree makes sense).

Agree, It's better to unify. I will look into and will update you more on this.

> Also, don't be concerned that I show up as the only maintainer in the
> meta-realtime layer, as I merge parts from your existing layer, credit
> will be given and if it is ok with you, I'll have you down as a maintainer
> or co-maintainer where it makes sense.
>
> Since I'm going to be out of the office for the next few days, I may
> push out my initial merges without much testing, so if you have a
> chance to test, and send patches .. that would be a great help.

Could you tell me how to get the access to the git.yoctoproject?
If you are busy due to OOO, don't worry on this. I should be able to
manage in local git until you come back.

Thank you.

Insop

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-11 17:03               ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2013-03-11 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Insop Song
  Cc: Yocto Project Discussion, Darren Hart,
	Development list for the linux-yocto repositories

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Insop Song <insop.song@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Bruce Ashfield
> <bruce.ashfield@windriver.com> wrote:
>>
>> As an example, I have a schedtool recipe that uses the
>> git://gitorious.org/sched_deadline/schedtool-dl.git
>> repository with a 4 patch series to enable full sched_deadline/EDF
>> support versus the custom repository that you created on github.
>> We'll work to unify the edf and other -rt support in the upstream
>> projects, so we want to reference those trees whenever possible (unless
>> we get so much development, that a tracking tree makes sense).
>>

> Agree, It's better to unify. I will look into and will update you more on this.
>

>> Also, don't be concerned that I show up as the only maintainer in the
>> meta-realtime layer, as I merge parts from your existing layer, credit
>> will be given and if it is ok with you, I'll have you down as a maintainer
>> or co-maintainer where it makes sense.
>>
>> Since I'm going to be out of the office for the next few days, I may
>> push out my initial merges without much testing, so if you have a
>> chance to test, and send patches .. that would be a great help.
>>

> Could you tell me how to get the access to the git.yoctoproject?
> If you are busy due to OOO, don't worry on this. I should be able to
> manage in local git until you come back.

If you are looking for push access, we'll wait on that for a bit. I'd like
to throttle changes into the new layer by sending them to the linux-yocto
mailing list first, have some review and then we can do a pull request
and merge model.

Once the things are stable and predictable, we can work on getting merge
access for various maintainers.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Thank you.
>
> Insop

thee at its end"

* Re: A question on adding a new program to a new meta layer
@ 2013-03-11 17:20                 ` Insop Song
From: Insop Song @ 2013-03-11 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield
  Cc: Yocto Project Discussion, Darren Hart,
	Development list for the linux-yocto repositories

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are looking for push access, we'll wait on that for a bit. I'd like
> to throttle changes into the new layer by sending them to the linux-yocto
> mailing list first, have some review and then we can do a pull request
> and merge model.

I see, that sounds fine for me. I just wasn't sure ways of working here.

Thank you,

Insop