* Configuring a Distro for Kubernetes and CNI
@ 2018-03-30 19:01 Robert Weber
From: Robert Weber @ 2018-03-30 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

Hello meta-virt!

My name is Rob Weber, and I am software engineer who is fairly new to
Yocto. My coworker David and I are currently configuring our yocto build to
include Kubernetes in our images, but are running up against a few
challenges with networking interfaces.

We are currently including meta-virt's Kubernetes package from the "rocko"
branch in our distro. Kubernetes is successfully included the image, but we
are unfortunately missing a few networking dependencies that prevent
kube-dns from working properly. We see that there's a recipe for CNI in
recipes-networking, which Kubernetes includes as a dependency. Bruce
Ashfield's initial commit message for the CNI package is also pretty
insightful:

The networking plugins are installed, but are not configured by default to
> create any specific networking interfaces, which are the responsibility of
> the image and distribution.

Based on this commit message and the missing dependencies in our image, we
think we have a lot of configuration left to implement for our distro but
we're not sure where to start. We were wondering if the community might
have an idea on where to begin configuring a distro for Kubernetes? We
think we will have to include a networking plugin such as Flannel or Calico
as one of our first steps, but we're not entirely sure. Any tips people
might have are greatly appreciated!

Please let us know if you would like some more information about our distro
configuration. We would also be happy to contribute any notes on
distro/image configuration for Kubernetes to the meta-virt docs to help
others out in the future.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Rob Weber & David Roman