* How to choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux kernel?
@ 2021-05-24 10:50 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2021-05-24 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

how do I choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux
kernel? For example,

bool bup;
pr_alert("%XXX", bup);

What should "XXX" be in the Linux kernel?

--
My best regards to you.

     No System Is Safe!
     Dongliang Mu

* Re: How to choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux kernel?
@ 2021-05-24 14:22 ` Fox Chen
From: Fox Chen @ 2021-05-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 慕冬亮; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> how do I choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux
> kernel? For example,
>
> bool bup;
> pr_alert("%XXX", bup);
>
> What should "XXX" be in the Linux kernel?
>
> --
> My best regards to you.
>
>      No System Is Safe!
>      Dongliang Mu

Check commit 6e21828743 ("Generic boolean")
IIUC bool is defined as Bool_. You can treat it as an integer with the
value 0 or 1.

thanks,
fox

* Re: How to choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux kernel?
@ 2021-05-24 14:27   ` 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2021-05-24 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fox Chen; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:22 PM Fox Chen <foxhlchen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > how do I choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux
> > kernel? For example,
> >
> > bool bup;
> > pr_alert("%XXX", bup);
> >
> > What should "XXX" be in the Linux kernel?
> >
> > --
> > My best regards to you.
> >
> >      No System Is Safe!
> >      Dongliang Mu

> Check commit 6e21828743 ("Generic boolean")
> IIUC bool is defined as Bool_. You can treat it as an integer with the
> value 0 or 1.

You mean I can directly print boolean variable with "%d"?

@ 2021-05-24 14:29     ` 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2021-05-24 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fox Chen; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:27 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:22 PM Fox Chen <foxhlchen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > how do I choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux
> > > kernel? For example,
> > >
> > > bool bup;
> > > pr_alert("%XXX", bup);
> > >
> > > What should "XXX" be in the Linux kernel?
> > >
> > > --
> > > My best regards to you.
> > >
> > >      No System Is Safe!
> > >      Dongliang Mu

> > Check commit 6e21828743 ("Generic boolean")
> > IIUC bool is defined as Bool_. You can treat it as an integer with the
> > value 0 or 1.
>
> You mean I can directly print boolean variable with "%d"?

For C enumeration, it seems right.

@ 2021-05-24 14:38     ` Fox Chen
From: Fox Chen @ 2021-05-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 慕冬亮; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:27 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:22 PM Fox Chen <foxhlchen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > how do I choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux
> > > kernel? For example,
> > >
> > > bool bup;
> > > pr_alert("%XXX", bup);
> > >
> > > What should "XXX" be in the Linux kernel?
> > >
> > > --
> > > My best regards to you.
> > >
> > >      No System Is Safe!
> > >      Dongliang Mu

> > Check commit 6e21828743 ("Generic boolean")
> > IIUC bool is defined as Bool_. You can treat it as an integer with the
> > value 0 or 1.
>
> You mean I can directly print boolean variable with "%d"?

yes, or if you want it to be more readable, you can do
pr_alert("%s", bup ? "true":"false");

> > thanks,
> > fox

fox

* Re: How to choose format specifier for boolean variables in Linux kernel?
@ 2021-05-24 14:39       ` 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2021-05-24 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fox Chen; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:39 PM Fox Chen <foxhlchen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 10:27 PM 慕冬亮 <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Check commit 6e21828743 ("Generic boolean")
> > > IIUC bool is defined as Bool_. You can treat it as an integer with the
> > > value 0 or 1.
> >
> > You mean I can directly print boolean variable with "%d"?
> >
> yes, or if you want it to be more readable, you can do
> pr_alert("%s", bup ? "true":"false");

Thanks. This is really helpful.

@ 2021-05-24 14:56 ` Aruna Hewapathirane
From: Aruna Hewapathirane @ 2021-05-24 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)