* Question about "Creating first patch"  guide
@ 2015-09-23 19:22 Rob Groner
From: Rob Groner @ 2015-09-23 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

The OutreachyfirstpatchSetup has been very helpful in setting up my computer to develop a patch to submit to the kernel overlords.

I'm at the point where I've changed the kernel code, ran and test it, and see just my changes with "git diff".  What has me a little confused is that before I actually create the patch file (to submit to the appropriate mailing list), it says to actually commit the change.  Perhaps I don't understand how git handles commit (I primarily use svn), but it seems like actually committing the change is kind of presumptuous before even posting anything on the mailing list of those that control the git repository.

What part am I not understanding?

Thank you.

Rob Groner

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Question about "Creating first patch"  guide
@ 2015-09-23 19:43 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2015-09-23 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 07:22:08PM +0000, Rob Groner wrote:
> The OutreachyfirstpatchSetup has been very helpful in setting up my computer to
> develop a patch to submit to the kernel overlords.
>

> I?m at the point where I?ve changed the kernel code, ran and test it, and see
> just my changes with ?git diff?.  What has me a little confused is that before
> I actually create the patch file (to submit to the appropriate mailing list),
> it says to actually commit the change.  Perhaps I don?t understand how git
> handles commit (I primarily use svn), but it seems like actually committing the
> change is kind of presumptuous before even posting anything on the mailing list
> of those that control the git repository.
>

> What part am I not understanding?

You should create a branch and work on that, making a commit there, then
it is trivial to turn that into a patch, as the tutorial suggests.

With git, everything can be local, svn requires you to push your changes
to the server, which is the big difference here.

hope this helps,

greg k-h

* Question about "Creating first patch"  guide
@ 2015-09-23 20:01   ` Rob Groner
From: Rob Groner @ 2015-09-23 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Helps very much, thank you!

I think I read somewhere in that tutorial that posting your patch to kernel-newbie was a safe thing to do to get comments/criticism before submitting to the maintainer mailing list (linux-serial in this case).  Is that true?

Thanks again.

Rob Groner

@ 2015-09-23 21:02   ` Rob Groner
From: Rob Groner @ 2015-09-23 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 07:22:08PM +0000, Rob Groner wrote:
> > The OutreachyfirstpatchSetup has been very helpful in setting up my
> > computer to develop a patch to submit to the kernel overlords.
> >

> > I?m at the point where I?ve changed the kernel code, ran and test it,
> > and see just my changes with ?git diff?.  What has me a little
> > confused is that before I actually create the patch file (to submit to
> > the appropriate mailing list), it says to actually commit the change.
> > Perhaps I don?t understand how git handles commit (I primarily use
> > svn), but it seems like actually committing the change is kind of
> > presumptuous before even posting anything on the mailing list of those
> that control the git repository.
> >

> > What part am I not understanding?
>
> You should create a branch and work on that, making a commit there, then it
> is trivial to turn that into a patch, as the tutorial suggests.
>
> With git, everything can be local, svn requires you to push your changes to
> the server, which is the big difference here.
>
> hope this helps,
>
> greg k-h

And sorry for the top-posting.  I had no idea that was a thing until 5 minutes ago.  Mailing lists are a completely new thing to me (at age 44+).

Rob

* Question about "Creating first patch"  guide
@ 2015-09-23 21:04     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2015-09-23 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 08:01:19PM +0000, Rob Groner wrote:
> Helps very much, thank you!
>
> I think I read somewhere in that tutorial that posting your patch to
> kernel-newbie was a safe thing to do to get comments/criticism before
> submitting to the maintainer mailing list (linux-serial in this case).
> Is that true?

Sure, that works, especially as the maintainer of that subsystem is on
both lists :)

greg k-h

* Question about "Creating first patch" guide
@ 2015-09-24  3:21     ` 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2015-09-24  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I don't know whether my procedure to generate patch is right.Share it
with you and you can comment it ,feed back to me!

First, I change the document in the master branch, but don't commit to
master branch. Then I use "git diff" to generate the patch.
At last , I do a check with checkpatch.pl.
If there is no error, I will post it to the according subsystem.
If there are any wrong tips, point it out for me.

Thank you.
    - mdongliang

@ 2015-09-24  5:56       ` Karthik Nayak
From: Karthik Nayak @ 2015-09-24  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:51 AM, ??? <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know whether my procedure to generate patch is right.Share it
> with you and you can comment it ,feed back to me!
>
> First, I change the document in the master branch, but don't commit to
> master branch. Then I use "git diff" to generate the patch.

Why not commit?
A simple way to do this would be.

1. Make changes as per requirements
2. Commit them
3. Use `git format-patch` to generate patches.
4. Check using checkpatch
5. `Use git send-email` to mail those patches to the required list.

Karthik Nayak

* Question about "Creating first patch" guide
@ 2015-09-24  6:47         ` 慕冬亮
From: 慕冬亮 @ 2015-09-24  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:51 AM, ??? <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know whether my procedure to generate patch is right.Share it
>> with you and you can comment it ,feed back to me!
>>
>> First, I change the document in the master branch, but don't commit to
>> master branch. Then I use "git diff" to generate the patch.
>
> Why not commit?
> A simple way to do this would be.
Why do I not commit? Because I don't this easy method to generate patch file.
I read SubmittingPatches, just to understand I can use git diff to get my patch.
Then I don't search any advanced, good method.
This shows that I am not familiar with git.

> 1. Make changes as per requirements
> 2. Commit them
> 3. Use `git format-patch` to generate patches.
"git format-patch" is great. The format is very nice to read.

> 4. Check using checkpatch
> 5. `Use git send-email` to mail those patches to the required list.
But I don't find git "send-email" in my system. I test in git 2.1.4
and git 2.5.1 on my Debian.
Search it , I find I lost a package git-email.

I still have much to learn.Thank you.
    - mudongliang

@ 2015-09-24  6:55           ` Karthik Nayak
From: Karthik Nayak @ 2015-09-24  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 12:17 PM, ??? <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:51 AM, ??? <mudongliangabcd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know whether my procedure to generate patch is right.Share it
>>> with you and you can comment it ,feed back to me!
>>>
>>> First, I change the document in the master branch, but don't commit to
>>> master branch. Then I use "git diff" to generate the patch.
>>
>> Why not commit?
>> A simple way to do this would be.
> Why do I not commit? Because I don't this easy method to generate patch file.
> I read SubmittingPatches, just to understand I can use git diff to get my patch.
> Then I don't search any advanced, good method.
> This shows that I am not familiar with git.

I personally suggest having a different branch for each feature/bug you might
want to work on and also committing these changes in their respective branches.

Why use 'diff' when 'git format-patch' is solely meant to create patches? ;)

Karthik Nayak

* Question about "Creating first patch" guide
@ 2015-09-24 13:07 ` Albino B Neto
From: Albino B Neto @ 2015-09-24 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> What part am I not understanding?