* [Buildroot] Guide for installing Chromium using patch sets
@ 2018-07-10 11:05 Fame Castle
From: Fame Castle @ 2018-07-10 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I am trying to install chromium to my buildroot target using Joseph Kogut's
patch sets at
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=51418. I
already had to figure out that I had to apply the patches from bottom to
top. But then, I was able to patch all the files successfully using `curl
"{path to the individual patch's mbox}" | git apply --whitespace=fix` .

I did a clean make and came across the following problem reported during
chromium configuration:

*> /home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/printing/cups_config_helper.py
*>* --api-version
*>* Returned 1.
*>* stderr:
*>>* Traceback (most recent call last):
*>*   File
*>* "/home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/printing/cups_config_helper.py",
*>* line 106, in <module>
*>*     sys.exit(main())
*>*   File
*>* "/home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/printing/cups_config_helper.py",
*>* line 76, in main
*>*     subprocess.call([cups_config, '--api-version'])
*>*   File
*>* "/home/buildroot/output/host/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
*>* line 168, in call
*>*     return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
*>*   File
*>* "/home/buildroot/output/host/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
*>* line 390, in __init__
*>*     errread, errwrite)
*>*   File
*>* "/home/buildroot/output/host/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
*>* line 1025, in _execute_child
*>*     raise child_exception
*>* OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
*>>* See //BUILD.gn:141:7: which caused the file to be included.
*>*       "//printing:printing_unittests",
*>*       ^------------------------------
*>* package/pkg-generic.mk:213 <http://pkg-generic.mk:213>: recipe for target*

It seems that cups_config_helper.py can't find a cups-config binary. You
replied to a similar problem here "
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2018-June/223810.html" in
which you speak of a v4 patch set, where this problem should be fixed. But
the latest patch set is v5. I am confused and don't understand which
patches I have to apply to make the build work. Furthermore, the patch
series at https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=51418
only contains patch 3/6 to 6/6 . What about the missing 2 patches?

I am using the latest buildroot cloned from the git repository's master
branch. I think that I will start a new clean project with the latest
stable buildroot version. A complete guide of how to compile chromium for
buildroot, including all neccessary patches, would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Guide for installing Chromium using patch sets
@ 2018-07-10 17:34 ` Joseph Kogut
From: Joseph Kogut @ 2018-07-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Fame,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 4:05 AM Fame Castle <famecastle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install chromium to my buildroot target using Joseph Kogut's patch sets at https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=51418. I already had to figure out that I had to apply the patches from bottom to top. But then, I was able to patch all the files successfully using `curl "{path to the individual patch's mbox}" | git apply --whitespace=fix` .
>
> I did a clean make and came across the following problem reported during chromium configuration:
>
> > /home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/printing/cups_config_helper.py
> > --api-version
> > Returned 1.
> > stderr:
> >
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File
> > "/home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/printing/cups_config_helper.py",
> > line 106, in <module>
> >     sys.exit(main())
> >   File
> > "/home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/printing/cups_config_helper.py",
> > line 76, in main
> >     subprocess.call([cups_config, '--api-version'])
> >   File
> > "/home/buildroot/output/host/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
> > line 168, in call
> >     return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
> >   File
> > "/home/buildroot/output/host/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
> > line 390, in __init__
> >     errread, errwrite)
> >   File
> > "/home/buildroot/output/host/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py",
> > line 1025, in _execute_child
> >     raise child_exception
> > OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
> >
> > See //BUILD.gn:141:7: which caused the file to be included.
> >       "//printing:printing_unittests",
> >       ^------------------------------
> > package/pkg-generic.mk:213: recipe for target
>
> It seems that cups_config_helper.py can't find a cups-config binary. You replied to a similar problem here "http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2018-June/223810.html"

It seems the sysroot wasn't enabled, causing the build to fail when
the requirements, such as cups, weren't installed on the host. I'm
working on a patch right now to fix this. In the mean time, changing
"use_sysroot=false" to "use_sysroot=true" in the package makefile
should fix this.

> in which you speak of a v4 patch set, where this problem should be fixed. But the latest patch set is v5.

This patchset is an RFC, and needs more testing with various
configurations. Chromium is a very large codebase, with a lot of
dependencies and configuration options, and there's certainly going to
be a lot of ways to break the build until the package gets more
testing and improvements. Feedback from people like you is what this
package needs.

> I am confused and don't understand which patches I have to apply to make the build work. Furthermore, the patch series at https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=51418 only contains patch 3/6 to 6/6 . What about the missing 2 patches?

The other patches were merged upstream, and are no longer need to be
applied, assuming you're working off the master branch. The next
version of the patchset will exclude them.

> I am using the latest buildroot cloned from the git repository's master branch. I think that I will start a new clean project with the latest stable buildroot version. A complete guide of how to compile chromium for buildroot, including all neccessary patches, would be very helpful.

You can apply the patches from patchwork by following the instructions
in the Buildroot manual, section 21.3.1:
http://nightly.buildroot.org/#apply-patches-patchwork

Alternatively, once the next patchset is finished, you can checkout
the chromium-v6 branch from my repo at
https://github.com/jakogut/buildroot and build as usual.

Best,
Joseph

* [Buildroot] Guide for installing Chromium using patch sets
@ 2018-07-11 15:37   ` Fame Castle
From: Fame Castle @ 2018-07-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Joseph,

I checked out your chromium-v6 branch from your repo and applied my
buildroot configurations to it. It compiled fine without chromium being
selected. But when I selected chromium (indeed, it was the use_sysroot
problem that previously made my builds fail, which is now fixed in your
repo), I encountered a new problem:

> [412/412] LINK gn
> ERROR at //build/config/linux/pkg_config.gni:103:17: Script returned
non-zero exit code.
>     pkgresult = exec_script(pkg_config_script, args, "value")
>                  ^----------
> Current dir:
/home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/out/Release/
> Command: /home/buildroot/output/host/bin/python2 --
/home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/build/config/linux/pkg-config.py
nss -v -lssl3
> Returned 1.
> stderr:
>
> Package nss was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `nss.pc'
> No package 'nss' found
> Could not run pkg-config.
>
> See //third_party/nss/BUILD.gn:15:3: whence it was called.
>   pkg_config("system_nss_no_ssl_config") {
>   ^---------------------------------------
> See //crypto/BUILD.gn:221:25: which caused the file to be included.
>     public_configs += [ "//third_party/nss:system_nss_no_ssl_config" ]
>                         ^-------------------------------------------

The compilation breaks at the same point as it previously did. But now the
problem with cups-config is fixed and this error appeared.

Thanks in advance,
Famecastle

@ 2018-07-11 16:11     ` Joseph Kogut
       [not found]       ` <CAD0+TpAX_eSnF70YLRq6Kp44iySE4O18gxSu23bcjOHjDsSQWA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Joseph Kogut @ 2018-07-11 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Fame,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:37 AM Fame Castle <famecastle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Joseph,
>
> I checked out your chromium-v6 branch from your repo and applied my buildroot configurations to it. It compiled fine without chromium being selected. But when I selected chromium (indeed, it was the use_sysroot problem that previously made my builds fail, which is now fixed in your repo), I encountered a new problem:

> > [412/412] LINK gn
> > ERROR at //build/config/linux/pkg_config.gni:103:17: Script returned non-zero exit code.
> >     pkgresult = exec_script(pkg_config_script, args, "value")
> >                  ^----------
> > Current dir: /home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/out/Release/
> > Command: /home/buildroot/output/host/bin/python2 -- /home/buildroot/output/build/chromium-67.0.3396.79/build/config/linux/pkg-config.py nss -v -lssl3
> > Returned 1.
> > stderr:
> >
> > Package nss was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `nss.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > No package 'nss' found
> > Could not run pkg-config.
> >
> > See //third_party/nss/BUILD.gn:15:3: whence it was called.
> >   pkg_config("system_nss_no_ssl_config") {
> >   ^---------------------------------------
> > See //crypto/BUILD.gn:221:25: which caused the file to be included.
> >     public_configs += [ "//third_party/nss:system_nss_no_ssl_config" ]
> >                         ^-------------------------------------------
>
> The compilation breaks at the same point as it previously did. But now the problem with cups-config is fixed and this error appeared.

I removed nss from my host system and issued a 'make chromium-dirclean
all', and I was unable to reproduce this issue. Could you try a clean
build, and see if the issue persists?

Also, could you upload your config to pastebin or github, and link to it?

Thanks,
Joseph

* [Buildroot] Fwd:  Guide for installing Chromium using patch sets
       [not found]       ` <CAD0+TpAX_eSnF70YLRq6Kp44iySE4O18gxSu23bcjOHjDsSQWA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-07-11 16:24         ` Fame Castle
From: Fame Castle @ 2018-07-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

From: Fame Castle @ 2018-07-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

@ 2018-07-14 18:55             ` Joseph Kogut
From: Joseph Kogut @ 2018-07-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Fame,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 9:24 AM Fame Castle <famecastle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did a 'make chromium-dirclean all' and the problem reappeared. You can find my buildroot config file at https://pastebin.com/zjZuDgB3 . The libnss package is selected in buildroot. "chromium 67.0.3396.79" gets downloaded successfully, all patches are applied correctly and the configuration fails with the same error.

Thanks for sending your config, I was able to reproduce your problem.
I've fixed this issue, and identified and fixed a few others for the
next version of this patchset.

You can find my current work in the chromium-v7-wip branch at
https://github.com/jakogut/buildroot.

I haven't sent an updated patchset to the mailing list yet; your
config is having linking problems at the end of the build, and I'm
still working on a solution.

Here's the output of that build.

https://gist.github.com/jakogut/b05bd63c1e3b2ca823fd6b08ed3f0d2e