* drm/amdkfd: bad CONFIG_ prefix for enum entries
@ 2015-06-04 13:44 Valentin Rothberg
From: Valentin Rothberg @ 2015-06-04 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yair.shachar
  Cc: Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht, hengelein Stefan, oded.gabbay,
	airlied, linux-kernel, dri-devel

Hi Yair,

your commit fbeb661bfa89 ("drm/amdkfd: Add skeleton H/W debugger
module support") has shown up in today's linux-next tree (i.e.,
next-20150604).  The commit adds the following lines of code to
drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdkfd/kfd_dbgdev.h:

+/* CONFIG reg space definition */
+enum {
+       CONFIG_REG_BASE = 0x2000,       /* in dwords */
+       CONFIG_REG_END = 0x2B00,
+       CONFIG_REG_SIZE = CONFIG_REG_END - CONFIG_REG_BASE
+};

There is a problem with the 'CONFIG_' prefix of those entries.  This
prefix is reserved for Kconfig options in Make/Kbuild and CPP syntax,
so that static analysis tools (and readers of the code) may mistakenly
assume that the symbol is defined somewhere in a Kconfig file.

I detected the issue with ./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py.  Would you
mind renaming those entries to something without the 'CONFIG_' prefix?
 I can also take care of it if you wish to.

Kind regards,
 Valentin

* Re: drm/amdkfd: bad CONFIG_ prefix for enum entries
@ 2015-06-04 13:48 ` Oded Gabbay
From: Oded Gabbay @ 2015-06-04 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valentin Rothberg, yair.shachar
  Cc: Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht, dri-devel, linux-kernel, hengelein Stefan

Hi Valentin,
Thanks for catching that.
I would be grateful if you could fix this yourself.

Oded

@ 2015-06-04 13:59   ` Valentin Rothberg
From: Valentin Rothberg @ 2015-06-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oded Gabbay
  Cc: yair.shachar, Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht, hengelein Stefan,
	airlied, linux-kernel, dri-devel

Hi Oded,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Valentin,
> Thanks for catching that.
> I would be grateful if you could fix this yourself.

With pleasure,  I am happy if I can help.  Do you have any preference
to change the prefix to something else?  As there are three other
symbols SH_REG_{BASE,SIZE,END}, I would rename CONFIG_ to CONF_ to
avoid mix-ups.

Kind regards,
 Valentin

@ 2015-06-04 14:01     ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2015-06-04 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oded Gabbay
  Cc: Valentin Rothberg, yair.shachar, Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht,
	Maling list - DRI developers, LKML, hengelein Stefan

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Valentin,
> Thanks for catching that.
> I would be grateful if you could fix this yourself.

Please try and keep CONFIG in the name since this range of registers
are called CONFIG registers.

Alex

From: Alex Deucher @ 2015-06-04 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oded Gabbay
  Cc: Paul Bolle, LKML, Maling list - DRI developers, Andreas Ruprecht,
	hengelein Stefan, Valentin Rothberg

@ 2015-06-04 14:04       ` Valentin Rothberg
From: Valentin Rothberg @ 2015-06-04 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Oded Gabbay, yair.shachar, Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht,
	Maling list - DRI developers, LKML, hengelein Stefan

Hi Alex,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Valentin,
>> Thanks for catching that.
>> I would be grateful if you could fix this yourself.
>
> Please try and keep CONFIG in the name since this range of registers
> are called CONFIG registers.

I cannot force changing those symbols, but point out that it's
violating naming conventions.  I would suggest to s/CONFIG_/CONF_/ to
make clear that it's config registers.  Would you be fine with that?

Kind regards,
 Valentin

From: Valentin Rothberg @ 2015-06-04 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher
  Cc: Oded Gabbay, yair.shachar, Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht,

@ 2015-06-04 15:09         ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2015-06-04 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valentin Rothberg
  Cc: Oded Gabbay, yair.shachar, Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht,
	Maling list - DRI developers, LKML, hengelein Stefan

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Valentin Rothberg
<valentinrothberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Oded Gabbay <oded.gabbay@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Valentin,
>>> Thanks for catching that.
>>> I would be grateful if you could fix this yourself.
>>
>> Please try and keep CONFIG in the name since this range of registers
>> are called CONFIG registers.
>
> I cannot force changing those symbols, but point out that it's
> violating naming conventions.  I would suggest to s/CONFIG_/CONF_/ to
> make clear that it's config registers.  Would you be fine with that?

What about something like AMD_CONFIG_REG?

From: Alex Deucher @ 2015-06-04 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valentin Rothberg
  Cc: Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht, Maling list - DRI developers, LKML,
	hengelein Stefan

@ 2015-06-04 16:47           ` Christian König
From: Christian König @ 2015-06-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher, Valentin Rothberg
  Cc: Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht, Maling list - DRI developers, LKML,
	hengelein Stefan

On 04.06.2015 17:09, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Valentin Rothberg
> <valentinrothberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,

>>> Please try and keep CONFIG in the name since this range of registers
>>> are called CONFIG registers.
>> I cannot force changing those symbols, but point out that it's
>> violating naming conventions.  I would suggest to s/CONFIG_/CONF_/ to
>> make clear that it's config registers.  Would you be fine with that?
> What about something like AMD_CONFIG_REG?

For the background: The register headers will be auto generated in the
future and if the hardware designer named the register CONFIG_* the name
will show up in our headers as such.

Prefixing it with AMD_ sounds like a good solution to me, too.

Regards,
Christian.

From: Christian König @ 2015-06-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher, Valentin Rothberg
  Cc: Paul Bolle, hengelein Stefan, Andreas Ruprecht,

@ 2015-06-04 17:42             ` Valentin Rothberg
From: Valentin Rothberg @ 2015-06-04 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König
  Cc: Alex Deucher, Paul Bolle, Andreas Ruprecht,
	Maling list - DRI developers, LKML, hengelein Stefan

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Christian König <deathsimple@vodafone.de> wrote:
> On 04.06.2015 17:09, Alex Deucher wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM, Valentin Rothberg
>> <valentinrothberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Alex,

>>> I cannot force changing those symbols, but point out that it's
>>> violating naming conventions.  I would suggest to s/CONFIG_/CONF_/ to
>>> make clear that it's config registers.  Would you be fine with that?
>>
>> What about something like AMD_CONFIG_REG?
>

> For the background: The register headers will be auto generated in the
> future and if the hardware designer named the register CONFIG_* the name
> will show up in our headers as such.
>
> Prefixing it with AMD_ sounds like a good solution to me, too.

Okay.  I will prepare and send a patch tomorrow.

Kind regards,
 Valentin

From: Valentin Rothberg @ 2015-06-04 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König