* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-14 11:53 Hans de Goede
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-11-14 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi All,

A while back I wrote:

"Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
busy lately.

So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
custodian."

After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
that I don't want to think during the weekend:
"Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"

This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
something is wrong.

So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
against getting dragged in again.

I do expect (after taking a break for a couple of weeks)
that I will likely submit the occasional patch, but at
this point in time I do not want any maintainer
responsibilities.

Yesterday and today I've gone over my pending patches
queue, reviewed then all and I've merged all the ones
which looked good into u-boot-sunxi/next, so that
should be a good starting point for the next
maintainer.

Jagan (in the Cc) has indicated in the past that he is
interested in taking over as sunxi custodian, Jagan already
is the SPI custodian, so I believe that he will do well.

So Jagan, if you still want the job, go for it.

Regards,

Hans

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-14 12:08 ` Stefan Roese
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Roese @ 2016-11-14 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Hans,

On 14.11.2016 12:53, Hans de Goede wrote:
> A while back I wrote:
>
> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
> busy lately.
>
> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
> custodian."
>
> After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
> sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
> too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
> that I don't want to think during the weekend:
> "Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"
>
> This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
> you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
> kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
> something is wrong.
>
> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
> against getting dragged in again.

This is very sad and unfortunate for the U-Boot community. I'm really
sorry to hear this. But I can fully understand you and totally
respect your decision.

I would like to thank you for all your input and hard work that
you've done for this project in the last years. Your comments
have always been very productive and your dedicated involvement
has taken the sunxi U-Boot support to the next level and also
improved U-Boot in general.

Thanks again,
Stefan

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-14 13:13 ` Tom Rini
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Rini @ 2016-11-14 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A while back I wrote:
>
> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
> busy lately.
>
> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
> custodian."
>
> After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
> sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
> too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
> that I don't want to think during the weekend:
> "Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"
>
> This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
> you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
> kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
> something is wrong.
>
> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
> against getting dragged in again.
>
> I do expect (after taking a break for a couple of weeks)
> that I will likely submit the occasional patch, but at
> this point in time I do not want any maintainer
> responsibilities.
>
> Yesterday and today I've gone over my pending patches
> queue, reviewed then all and I've merged all the ones
> which looked good into u-boot-sunxi/next, so that
> should be a good starting point for the next
> maintainer.

I just want to thank you for all the time and effort you've put in on
U-Boot you've put in.  We would not be where we are today without what
you've done, so once again, thanks!

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-14 17:00 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2016-11-14 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hans, Ian, All,

On 2016-11-14 12:53 +0100, Hans de Goede spake thusly:
> A while back I wrote:
>
> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
> busy lately.
>
> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
> custodian."

So long, and thanks for all the fish! :-)

> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
> against getting dragged in again.

Don't forget to update (or get updated) the list of custodians on the
website (which is where I found the info):
    http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Custodians

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-15  9:11   ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-11-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 14-11-16 18:00, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hans, Ian, All,
>
> On 2016-11-14 12:53 +0100, Hans de Goede spake thusly:
>> A while back I wrote:
>>
>> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
>> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
>> busy lately.
>>
>> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
>> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
>> custodian."
>
> So long, and thanks for all the fish! :-)
>
>> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
>> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
>> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
>> against getting dragged in again.
>
> Don't forget to update (or get updated) the list of custodians on the
> website (which is where I found the info):
>     http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/Custodians

I don't believe I have a denx.de wiki account.

Tom can you fix this please?

Regards,

Hans

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-11-17 19:50 ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2016-11-17 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Hans,

On 14 November 2016 at 04:53, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A while back I wrote:
>
> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
> busy lately.
>
> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
> custodian."

Thanks for everything you have done, Hans! Are there really 100 sunxi
boards? You have been busy.

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-17 20:47   ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-11-17 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 17-11-16 20:50, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On 14 November 2016 at 04:53, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A while back I wrote:
>>
>> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
>> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
>> busy lately.
>>
>> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
>> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
>> custodian."
>
> Thanks for everything you have done, Hans! Are there really 100 sunxi
> boards?

[hans at shalem u-boot]$ grep -l SUNXI configs/*_defconfig | wc -l
100

 > You have been busy.

Yep.

Regards,

Hans

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-17 20:57     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2016-11-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Hans,

On 17 November 2016 at 13:47, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 17-11-16 20:50, Simon Glass wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> On 14 November 2016 at 04:53, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A while back I wrote:
>>>
>>> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
>>> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
>>> busy lately.
>>>
>>> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
>>> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
>>> custodian."
>>

>> Thanks for everything you have done, Hans! Are there really 100 sunxi
>> boards?
>

> [hans at shalem u-boot]$ grep -l SUNXI configs/*_defconfig | wc -l
> 100

That was 99 a few weeks ago when I checked, but 100 is a much better number!

> > You have been busy.
>
> Yep.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

- Simon

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-11-17 22:18 ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2016-11-17 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Hans,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A while back I wrote:
>
> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
> busy lately.
>
> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
> custodian."
>
> After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
> sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
> too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
> that I don't want to think during the weekend:
> "Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"
>
> This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
> you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
> kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
> something is wrong.
>
> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
> against getting dragged in again.
>
> I do expect (after taking a break for a couple of weeks)
> that I will likely submit the occasional patch, but at
> this point in time I do not want any maintainer
> responsibilities.
>
> Yesterday and today I've gone over my pending patches
> queue, reviewed then all and I've merged all the ones
> which looked good into u-boot-sunxi/next, so that
> should be a good starting point for the next
> maintainer.

Thanks a lot for the great work you did over those years :)

> Jagan (in the Cc) has indicated in the past that he is
> interested in taking over as sunxi custodian, Jagan already
> is the SPI custodian, so I believe that he will do well.
>
> So Jagan, if you still want the job, go for it.

As I said before, I can help whoever is willing to take over by
becoming co-maintainer for some time, in order to make the transition
as smooth as possible.

Jagan, are you still willing to do this?

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-18 13:02   ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2016-11-18 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Maxime Ripard
<maxime.ripard@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> A while back I wrote:
>>
>> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
>> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
>> busy lately.
>>
>> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
>> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
>> custodian."

Hans, thanks for all your great work.

>> After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
>> sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
>> too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
>> that I don't want to think during the weekend:
>> "Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"
>>
>> This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
>> you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
>> kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
>> something is wrong.
>>
>> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
>> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
>> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
>> against getting dragged in again.
>>
>> I do expect (after taking a break for a couple of weeks)
>> that I will likely submit the occasional patch, but at
>> this point in time I do not want any maintainer
>> responsibilities.
>>
>> Yesterday and today I've gone over my pending patches
>> queue, reviewed then all and I've merged all the ones
>> which looked good into u-boot-sunxi/next, so that
>> should be a good starting point for the next
>> maintainer.
>
> Thanks a lot for the great work you did over those years :)
>
>> Jagan (in the Cc) has indicated in the past that he is
>> interested in taking over as sunxi custodian, Jagan already
>> is the SPI custodian, so I believe that he will do well.
>>
>> So Jagan, if you still want the job, go for it.

OK, Hans thanks for believing my work - will try my best.

> As I said before, I can help whoever is willing to take over by
> becoming co-maintainer for some time, in order to make the transition
> as smooth as possible.
>
> Jagan, are you still willing to do this?

Yes, Maxime I will do this, please help me for initial transition and
technical details if any.
Can I get any board sample from any all-winner or related communities?

thanks!
--
Jagan Teki
Free Software Engineer | www.openedev.com

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-18 14:33     ` Andre Przywara
From: Andre Przywara @ 2016-11-18 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 18/11/16 13:02, Jagan Teki wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Maxime Ripard
> <maxime.ripard@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:53:13PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A while back I wrote:
>>>
>>> "Between my $dayjob, linux-sunxi, other foss projects and last but
>>> not least spending time with my wife and children I'm way too
>>> busy lately.
>>>
>>> So I've decided to seriously scale back my involvement in
>>> linux-sunxi, as such I'm going to step down as u-boot sunxi
>>> custodian."
>
> Hans, thanks for all your great work.

+1 for Hans' good work!

>>> After that I did get some breathing room, and kept doing
>>> sunxi u-boot maintenance until now, but this still feels
>>> too much like a job rather then a hobby. The problem is
>>> that I don't want to think during the weekend:
>>> "Oh !@#$ I still need to prep a u-boot sunxi pull-req"
>>>
>>> This is nothing against the u-boot community, I think
>>> you're all great and I still love thinkering with this
>>> kind of stuff, but when a hobby starts feeling as a chore
>>> something is wrong.
>>>
>>> So after this mail I'm going to send a mail updating
>>> the MAINTAINERS status of sunxi to orphan and I will also
>>> unsubscribe myself from the u-boot list to protect myself
>>> against getting dragged in again.
>>>
>>> I do expect (after taking a break for a couple of weeks)
>>> that I will likely submit the occasional patch, but at
>>> this point in time I do not want any maintainer
>>> responsibilities.
>>>
>>> Yesterday and today I've gone over my pending patches
>>> queue, reviewed then all and I've merged all the ones
>>> which looked good into u-boot-sunxi/next, so that
>>> should be a good starting point for the next
>>> maintainer.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the great work you did over those years :)
>>
>>> Jagan (in the Cc) has indicated in the past that he is
>>> interested in taking over as sunxi custodian, Jagan already
>>> is the SPI custodian, so I believe that he will do well.
>>>
>>> So Jagan, if you still want the job, go for it.
>
> OK, Hans thanks for believing my work - will try my best.
>

>> As I said before, I can help whoever is willing to take over by
>> becoming co-maintainer for some time, in order to make the transition
>> as smooth as possible.
>>
>> Jagan, are you still willing to do this?
>
> Yes, Maxime I will do this, please help me for initial transition and
> technical details if any.
> Can I get any board sample from any all-winner or related communities?

Feel free to send any 64-bit (A64, H64, H5) related questions/patches
into my direction. I can test stuff, also give advice and do reviews.

Cheers,
Andre.

P.S. I was thinking about stepping up here, but would end up in the same
situation as Hans quicker than one could say "Allwinner" ;-)

* [U-Boot] Stepping down as sunxi u-boot custodian (for real this time)
@ 2016-11-18 15:48       ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2016-11-18 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Andre Przywara <andre.przywara@arm.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/11/16 13:02, Jagan Teki wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Maxime Ripard
>> <maxime.ripard@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,

>> Hans, thanks for all your great work.
>
> +1 for Hans' good work!

>>> Thanks a lot for the great work you did over those years :)

>> OK, Hans thanks for believing my work - will try my best.
>>

>>> As I said before, I can help whoever is willing to take over by
>>> becoming co-maintainer for some time, in order to make the transition
>>> as smooth as possible.
>>>
>>> Jagan, are you still willing to do this?
>>
>> Yes, Maxime I will do this, please help me for initial transition and
>> technical details if any.
>> Can I get any board sample from any all-winner or related communities?
>
> Feel free to send any 64-bit (A64, H64, H5) related questions/patches
> into my direction. I can test stuff, also give advice and do reviews.

Thanks.

Hans, I see few redundant commits on next wrt latest master in b/w,
can you point me diff commits which needs to send PR? I tried of
comparing but not get the exact result.

thanks!
--

@ 2016-11-18 18:48         ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2016-11-18 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On 18-11-16 16:48, Jagan Teki wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 8:03 PM, Andre Przywara <andre.przywara@arm.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 18/11/16 13:02, Jagan Teki wrote:

>>> Hans, thanks for all your great work.
>>
>> +1 for Hans' good work!

>>> OK, Hans thanks for believing my work - will try my best.

>>> Yes, Maxime I will do this, please help me for initial transition and
>>> technical details if any.
>>> Can I get any board sample from any all-winner or related communities?
>>
>> Feel free to send any 64-bit (A64, H64, H5) related questions/patches
>> into my direction. I can test stuff, also give advice and do reviews.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hans, I see few redundant commits on next wrt latest master in b/w,
> can you point me diff commits which needs to send PR? I tried of
> comparing but not get the exact result.

If you checkout u-boot-sunxi/next and then do a "git rebase u-boot/master"
git should give you a new next branch, with the already merged commits
removed.

Regards,

Hans