* PEP 517 and PEP 621 support on Dunfell?
@ 2023-02-28 15:00 Ernst Sjöstrand
From: Ernst Sjöstrand @ 2023-02-28 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OE-core

more and more Python projects are removing their setup.py and setup.cfg and
switching to pyproject.toml. That unfortunately means you can't install
those packages on Yocto Dunfell.

Would it be reasonable to backport support for this to Dunfell? I see that
the changes done for this support was actually kindof big, and as usual
updating setuptools will probably cause some old package version to fail to
install instead.

Just throwing out the question to hear what others think about it!

Regards
//Ernst

* Re: [OE-core] PEP 517 and PEP 621 support on Dunfell?
@ 2023-02-28 16:14 ` Ross Burton
       [not found]   ` <1749EE1744C6F5F2.17255@lists.openembedded.org>
From: Ross Burton @ 2023-02-28 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ernstp; +Cc: OE-core

On 28 Feb 2023, at 15:00, Ernst Sjöstrand via lists.openembedded.org <ernstp=gmail.com@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
> more and more Python projects are removing their setup.py and setup.cfg and switching to pyproject.toml. That unfortunately means you can't install those packages on Yocto Dunfell.
>
> Would it be reasonable to backport support for this to Dunfell? I see that the changes done for this support was actually kindof big, and as usual updating setuptools will probably cause some old package version to fail to install instead.

The changes were kind of big, and I do worry that they’d break stuff that is expected to work.

A “mixin” layer which just contains the new classes and recipes would be a much better approach for Dunfell.

Ross

* Re: [OE-core] PEP 517 and PEP 621 support on Dunfell?
@ 2023-03-06 20:21   ` Ernst Sjöstrand
       [not found]   ` <1749EE1744C6F5F2.17255@lists.openembedded.org>
From: Ernst Sjöstrand @ 2023-03-06 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton; +Cc: OE-core

Oh I didn't see your reply, Gmail threw it in the spam folder.

I made a prototype here if anyone's interested:
https://github.com/ernstp/meta-setuptools-backport

//E

@ 2023-03-18 12:48     ` Ernst Sjöstrand
From: Ernst Sjöstrand @ 2023-03-18 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)