* WiFi+BT AR5B22. When starting linux - BT disappears. Disappears at all.
@ 2014-07-01  5:53 Антон Мацюк
From: Антон Мацюк @ 2014-07-01  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

I have a problem with my laptop wireless card in linux (I tried
xubuntu and kali).
It is a wifi(abgn)+BT4.0 miniPCI-E half module from Atheros.
FCC ID is PPD-AR5B22 (wikidevi have info about it:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros_AR5B22 ).
The problem is that loading to linux (e.g. xubuntu 14.04 livecd)
somehow disables BT at all, even Windows can't see it after loading to
Windows.
What helps return back bluetooth work at least in Windows is insert
back my BCM943228HMB (https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Broadcom_BCM943228HMB
) and again load to linux, because only linux enables back BT (I tried
to load Windows after I inserted Broadcom module and Windows did not
see the BT).
I have no useful data on my laptop so I even can provide acces to it,
if it is needed (ssh, x11, what you wish).
I also think it is kernel or driver issue.
What I want to achieve is both WiFi and BT working well in linux, but
"not to disable BT at all"-state will be acceptable too (I prefer
Windows, but also use Linux from time to time).
I appreciate any thoughts about this.
Maybe you can help to find answers.
Thanks.

* Re: WiFi+BT AR5B22. When starting linux - BT disappears. Disappears at all.
@ 2014-07-02  5:39 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-07-02  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Антон Мацюк
  Cc: driverdev-devel

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 08:53:27AM +0300, Антон Мацюк wrote:
> I have a problem with my laptop wireless card in linux (I tried
> xubuntu and kali).

Then I would recomment asking on your distro support group.  If you are
using a kernel.org released kernel, then we can help you.  Well, we
can't, the Linux network driver developers can, their mailing list is
listed in the kernel, but they will also require you to use a kernel.org
release, and not a distro release kernel.

best of luck,

greg k-h

* Re: WiFi+BT AR5B22. When starting linux - BT disappears. Disappears at all.
@ 2014-07-02  6:27   ` Антон Мацюк
From: Антон Мацюк @ 2014-07-02  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

May I ask that noobish question: is there a distro with kernel.org
released kernel? (my fast search in google failed) Maybe Knoppix?
If no - then i'll search somewhere how to make it in known distro :)
Thanks.

@ 2014-07-02  6:36     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-07-02  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Антон Мацюк
  Cc: driverdev-devel

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:27:07AM +0300, Антон Мацюк wrote:
> May I ask that noobish question: is there a distro with kernel.org
> released kernel?

Some distros provide "vanilla" kernel packages.  I know Gentoo and
openSUSE do, and I think Fedora also does.  Check with your distro to
see if they provide this or not.

> (my fast search in google failed) Maybe Knoppix?
> If no - then i'll search somewhere how to make it in known distro :)

There's a whole book on how to build your own kernel, Linux Kernel in a
Nutshell.  It's free online and should help you out in that area.

good luck,

greg k-h

* Re: WiFi+BT AR5B22. When starting linux - BT disappears. Disappears at all.
@ 2014-07-02  7:08       ` Антон Мацюк
From: Антон Мацюк @ 2014-07-02  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

Big thanks, I'll do some "research" at weekend, maybe :)

@ 2014-08-06 17:49         ` Антон Мацюк
From: Антон Мацюк @ 2014-08-06 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: driverdev-devel

Hi all!
Had busy time, but today I've installed vanilla kernel into openSUSE 13.1.
uname -a says:
"Linux linux-bekh.site 3.16.0-3638-g8e099d1-1.g4b43f13-vanilla #1 SMP
Tue Aug 5 10:03:55 UTC 2014 (4b43f13) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux"
My first reboot using vanilla kernel and Broadcom module showed me
bluetooth icon in system tray.
After installing Atheros module and boot with vanilla kernel - no BT
icon (but WiFi works :) ).

May I do something more?
Thanks.