* lz4 status?
@ 2013-06-26 15:57 Roger Pack
From: Roger Pack @ 2013-06-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Any update on the "unmerged" lz4 patches? Have they been merged?
Just wondering (and +1'ing my support, obviously).
Thank you.
-roger-

* Re: lz4 status?
@ 2013-06-30 17:35 ` Mitch Harder
From: Mitch Harder @ 2013-06-30 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Pack; +Cc: linux-btrfs

There's been a parallel effort to incorporate a general set of lz4
patches in the kernel.

I see these patches are currently queued up in the linux-next tree, so
we may see them in the 3.11 kernel.

It looks like lz4 and lz4hc will be provided.

So, instead of btrfs having it's own implementation of lz4, the
patches will be re-worked around kernel's new lz4 library.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any update on the "unmerged" lz4 patches? Have they been merged?
> Just wondering (and +1'ing my support, obviously).
> Thank you.
> -roger-

* Re: lz4 status?
@ 2013-07-01 13:27   ` Roger Pack
From: Roger Pack @ 2013-07-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitch Harder; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Mitch Harder
<mitch.harder@sabayonlinux.org> wrote:
> There's been a parallel effort to incorporate a general set of lz4
> patches in the kernel.
>
> I see these patches are currently queued up in the linux-next tree, so
> we may see them in the 3.11 kernel.
>
> It looks like lz4 and lz4hc will be provided.
>
> So, instead of btrfs having it's own implementation of lz4, the
> patches will be re-worked around kernel's new lz4 library.

Sounds good, keep up the good work :)
roger

* Re: lz4 status?
@ 2013-07-10 22:54   ` David Sterba
       [not found]     ` <CADCGFBWSor1oZ7XzqcJZ4-4XwCS-TbMHmBRzezRi01=SRVjpQA@mail.gmail.com>
From: David Sterba @ 2013-07-10 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitch Harder; +Cc: Roger Pack, linux-btrfs

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:35:09PM -0500, Mitch Harder wrote:
> There's been a parallel effort to incorporate a general set of lz4
> patches in the kernel.
>
> I see these patches are currently queued up in the linux-next tree, so
> we may see them in the 3.11 kernel.

The patches are now merged into 3.11.

> It looks like lz4 and lz4hc will be provided.

Regarding HC mode, there are some core compression code changes needed
in order to fully utilize the its potential, namely larger chunk size
that's compressed at a time. There was some tiny yet measurable gain of
HC against ordinary mode compared on current 4k-at-a-time
implementation, but the space savings did not justify the speed drop of
HC mode.

I can't say if the patchset will be ready for 3.12 though.

david

* Re: lz4 status?
@ 2013-07-11 15:21     ` Chris Mason
       [not found]     ` <CADCGFBWSor1oZ7XzqcJZ4-4XwCS-TbMHmBRzezRi01=SRVjpQA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Chris Mason @ 2013-07-11 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, David Sterba, Mitch Harder; +Cc: Roger Pack, linux-btrfs

Quoting David Sterba (2013-07-10 18:54:54)
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:35:09PM -0500, Mitch Harder wrote:
> > There's been a parallel effort to incorporate a general set of lz4
> > patches in the kernel.
> >
> > I see these patches are currently queued up in the linux-next tree, so
> > we may see them in the 3.11 kernel.
>
> The patches are now merged into 3.11.
>
> > It looks like lz4 and lz4hc will be provided.
>
> Regarding HC mode, there are some core compression code changes needed
> in order to fully utilize the its potential, namely larger chunk size
> that's compressed at a time. There was some tiny yet measurable gain of
> HC against ordinary mode compared on current 4k-at-a-time
> implementation, but the space savings did not justify the speed drop of
> HC mode.
>
> I can't say if the patchset will be ready for 3.12 though.

The current limits on the amount of data compressed at a time and the
amount of delayed allocation sent down at a time were pulled out of the
air.

Changes to those limits are definitely ok if they are helping specific
workloads.

-chris

* Fwd: lz4 status?
       [not found]     ` <CADCGFBWSor1oZ7XzqcJZ4-4XwCS-TbMHmBRzezRi01=SRVjpQA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-08-14 13:23       ` Roger Pack
From: Roger Pack @ 2014-08-14 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM, David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:35:09PM -0500, Mitch Harder wrote:
> > There's been a parallel effort to incorporate a general set of lz4
> > patches in the kernel.
> >
> > I see these patches are currently queued up in the linux-next tree, so
> > we may see them in the 3.11 kernel.
>
> The patches are now merged into 3.11.
>
> > It looks like lz4 and lz4hc will be provided.
>
> Regarding HC mode, there are some core compression code changes needed
> in order to fully utilize the its potential, namely larger chunk size
> that's compressed at a time. There was some tiny yet measurable gain of
> HC against ordinary mode compared on current 4k-at-a-time
> implementation, but the space savings did not justify the speed drop of
> HC mode.
>
> I can't say if the patchset will be ready for 3.12 though.
>
> david

Any update here re: lz4 integration?
I noticed some people here saying they saw it not available yet?
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?94912-Btrfs-Gets-Big-Changes-Features-In-Linux-3-14-Kernel
Cheers!
-roger-

* Re: lz4 status?