* Profiling my Modules
@ 2012-04-26  7:33 Rishi Agrawal
From: Rishi Agrawal @ 2012-04-26  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I have a kernel module which has functions which take a lot of time in
execution. I am curious to know how can I profile it, and find out the
functions taking most of the time.

I saw Oprofile, but it seems that I will have to build the whole kernel,
and also that it will be difficult to profile my module through it.

Any trick or tool will do.

Rishi Agrawal
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Profiling my Modules
@ 2012-04-26 12:42 ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2012-04-26 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Rishi Agrawal
<rishi.b.agrawal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a kernel module which has functions which take a lot of time in
> execution. I am curious to know how can I profile it, and find out the
> functions taking most of the time.
>
> I saw Oprofile, but it seems that I will have to build the whole kernel, and
> also that it will be difficult to profile my module through it.
>
> Any trick or tool will do.

Hello,

Have a look at perf [1].

thanks,
Daniel.

[1] https://perf.wiki.kernel.org/

* Profiling my Modules
@ 2012-04-26 13:31   ` Rishi Agrawal
From: Rishi Agrawal @ 2012-04-26 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks a lot, I will have a look at it and see if it helps.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Rishi Agrawal
> <rishi.b.agrawal@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a kernel module which has functions which take a lot of time in
> > execution. I am curious to know how can I profile it, and find out the
> > functions taking most of the time.
> >
> > I saw Oprofile, but it seems that I will have to build the whole kernel,
> and
> > also that it will be difficult to profile my module through it.
> >
> > Any trick or tool will do.
>
> Hello,
>
> Have a look at perf [1].
>
> thanks,