* Running multiple batman-adv namespaces on the same broadcast domain
@ 2020-09-08 11:23 Alessandro Bolletta
From: Alessandro Bolletta @ 2020-09-08 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hi everybody,

i'm trying to reproduce a PoC where i'm running multiple batman-adv
instances(eg. bat0, bat1, batX) on the same broadcast domain.

So the scenario is:

---

host 1, host 2, host 3 are connected through an ethernet switch,
leveraging on a single network card (eth0) each.

host 1 runs three batman-adv instances (bat0, bat1, bat2) and each of
these instances uses eth0 as member interface

Each batman-adv instance lives good on the respecting "namespace"
using the same broadcast domain to talk with neighbours.

---

Is this kind of scenario supported?

Thank you

* Re: Running multiple batman-adv namespaces on the same broadcast domain
@ 2020-09-08 11:28 ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2020-09-08 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n; +Cc: Alessandro Bolletta

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 13:23:32 CEST Alessandro Bolletta wrote:
> i'm trying to reproduce a PoC where i'm running multiple batman-adv
> instances(eg. bat0, bat1, batX) on the same broadcast domain.
[...]
> Is this kind of scenario supported?

No, you need something which implements separation of top of ethernet to avoid
that bat0/bat1/.../batX see each other. E.g. VLAN, VXLAN, ...

Kind regards,
	Sven

* Re: Running multiple batman-adv namespaces on the same broadcast domain
@ 2020-09-09  8:20   ` Alessandro Bolletta
From: Alessandro Bolletta @ 2020-09-09  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Thank you for your tip.

Just one more info: is there an hard limit for the number of "bat"
interfaces on the same host?
Moreover, is the multiple batX namespaces a scenario that it is
supposed to work fine, is it well tested or it still does need some
love?

@ 2020-09-09  8:30     ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2020-09-09  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Bolletta; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

On Wednesday, 9 September 2020 10:20:20 CEST Alessandro Bolletta wrote:
> Just one more info: is there an hard limit for the number of "bat"
> interfaces on the same host?

But yes, running multiple batman-adv interfaces on the same host works fine. I
am currently using 8 in parallel. The lower/hardif/slave interfaces are using
VXLAN (to connect some servers in other datacenters), fastd (to connect remote
"clients") and some other "ethernet" protocol compatible things.

And the hard limit is most likely the number of netdev's the Linux kernel can
create (id wise and memory wise).

> Moreover, is the multiple batX namespaces a scenario that it is
> supposed to work fine, is it well tested or it still does need some
> love?

I don't like the word "namespaces" here. Because this reverse to a completely
different concept in the linux kernel.

And I don't know what you will end using - so I cannot say if this will work
or is tested.

Kind regards,
	Sven

* Re: Running multiple batman-adv namespaces on the same broadcast domain
@ 2020-09-09  8:50       ` Alessandro Bolletta
From: Alessandro Bolletta @ 2020-09-09  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Eckelmann; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n

Il giorno mer 9 set 2020 alle ore 10:30 Sven Eckelmann
<sven@narfation.org> ha scritto:

> On Wednesday, 9 September 2020 10:20:20 CEST Alessandro Bolletta wrote:
> > Just one more info: is there an hard limit for the number of "bat"
> > interfaces on the same host?
>
> But yes, running multiple batman-adv interfaces on the same host works fine. I
> am currently using 8 in parallel. The lower/hardif/slave interfaces are using
> VXLAN (to connect some servers in other datacenters), fastd (to connect remote
> "clients") and some other "ethernet" protocol compatible things.

Great, this is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm running this for some
experimental purposes. Are you running VXLANs in multicast modes?

> And the hard limit is most likely the number of netdev's the Linux kernel can
> create (id wise and memory wise).
>
> > Moreover, is the multiple batX namespaces a scenario that it is
> > supposed to work fine, is it well tested or it still does need some
> > love?
>
> I don't like the word "namespaces" here. Because this reverse to a completely
> different concept in the linux kernel.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I didn't know how to call them. "Mesh clouds" is a
more exact term to call our batX?

> And I don't know what you will end using - so I cannot say if this will work
> or is tested.

I will use them in a scenario where a have 3 hosts connected by an
ethernet card each and a switch. Then, I have to connect at layer 2
these hosts to batman, but I need to separate their traffic through
different batman-adv "mesh clouds" (in my case I can't use VLANs, QinQ
or stuff like that to do so)

@ 2020-09-09  9:05         ` Sven Eckelmann
From: Sven Eckelmann @ 2020-09-09  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Bolletta; +Cc: b.a.t.m.a.n