* NVME-MI temperature sensors
@ 2019-06-18 20:07 Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-06-18 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Team,
I am trying to expose temperature sensor provided by NVME SSD drive. As per NVME-MI spec device provides temperature sensor value at defined register. Is there any Linux kernel driver, I need to enable to get these sensors of a SSD device we have. I see some NVME temperature sensors definition in meta-quanta/meta-gsj config.yaml and was wondering how are these read.

Any information on this would be helpful.

Regards
-Vijay

* Re: NVME-MI temperature sensors
@ 2019-06-18 20:30 ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-06-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, openbmc

On 6/18/19 1:07 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> Team,
>
> I am trying to expose temperature sensor provided by NVME SSD drive. As
> per NVME-MI spec device provides temperature sensor value at defined
> register. Is there any Linux kernel driver, I need to enable to get
> these sensors of a SSD device we have. I see some NVME temperature
> sensors definition in meta-quanta/meta-gsj config.yaml and was wondering
> how are these read.
>
> Any information on this would be helpful.

This might be interesting to you:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/dbus-sensors/+/20859

-James

@ 2019-06-18 21:41   ` Benjamin Fair
From: Benjamin Fair @ 2019-06-18 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Feist; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, openbmc

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:31 PM James Feist <james.feist@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 6/18/19 1:07 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> > Team,
> >
> > I am trying to expose temperature sensor provided by NVME SSD drive. As
> > per NVME-MI spec device provides temperature sensor value at defined
> > register. Is there any Linux kernel driver, I need to enable to get
> > these sensors of a SSD device we have. I see some NVME temperature
> > sensors definition in meta-quanta/meta-gsj config.yaml and was wondering
> > how are these read.
> >
> > Any information on this would be helpful.
>
> This might be interesting to you:
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/dbus-sensors/+/20859

That's the MCTP implementation which is the direction everything is
moving towards.

In the short term, Quanta is working on a daemon[0] to monitor
temperature and other telemetry data over NVMe-MI on SMBus. They have
an implementation on their own GitHub[1] and are currently in the
process of upstreaming it[2].

[0] https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-nvme
[1] https://github.com/quanta-bmc/phosphor-nvme
[2] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-nvme/+/22560

@ 2019-06-20  2:39     ` Tony Lee (李文富)
From: Tony Lee (李文富) @ 2019-06-20  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka; +Cc: openbmc

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:31 PM James Feist <james.feist@linux.intel.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 6/18/19 1:07 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> > > Team,
> > >
> > > I am trying to expose temperature sensor provided by NVME SSD drive.
> > > As per NVME-MI spec device provides temperature sensor value at
> > > defined register. Is there any Linux kernel driver, I need to enable
> > > to get these sensors of a SSD device we have. I see some NVME
> > > temperature sensors definition in meta-quanta/meta-gsj config.yaml
> > > and was wondering how are these read.

Hi Vijay,

Daemon[0] monitors the temperature and sets the value to the object path we created /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/temperature/nvme(index).
Once configured correctly in meta-quanta/meta-gsj config.yaml, it can read these temperatures via ipmi command.

Best Regards,
Tony