* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-27 18:41 Frank Svendsbøe
From: Frank Svendsbøe @ 2012-03-27 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ported a PPC system to QEMU
that is capable of booting U-Boot. Similar to the ARM versatilepb
target, but for PPC instead. I've tried the Bamboo and MPC8544DS but
it seems they only use stubs to OS calls and parses a DTB for info.

If there's no target supported yet, what about a QEMU target the
support booting an ARM target in big-endian mode? Big-endian is
important in order to test some endian dependent code.

The purpose is to emulate a network of connected machines without
having to buy lots of hardware.

Best regards, Frank

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-27 20:53 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-03-27 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Frank,

In message <CADNf2sxrQFDU0LLQWp5huRGgQiKbaLik1+2C=Oj=gjORP6XacA@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ported a PPC system to QEMU
> that is capable of booting U-Boot. Similar to the ARM versatilepb
> target, but for PPC instead. I've tried the Bamboo and MPC8544DS but
> it seems they only use stubs to OS calls and parses a DTB for info.

Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
routerstationpro]

> If there's no target supported yet, what about a QEMU target the
> support booting an ARM target in big-endian mode? Big-endian is
> important in order to test some endian dependent code.

If you need BE systems, use PPC.  For ARM, they are just a tiny
minority (so far at least) that I don't think it makes sense to invest
efforts in these.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Bradley's Bromide: If computers get too  powerful,  we  can  organize
them into a committee - that will do them in.

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-27 20:59   ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2012-03-27 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Frank,
>
> In message <CADNf2sxrQFDU0LLQWp5huRGgQiKbaLik1+2C=Oj=gjORP6XacA@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ported a PPC system to QEMU
>> that is capable of booting U-Boot. Similar to the ARM versatilepb
>> target, but for PPC instead. I've tried the Bamboo and MPC8544DS but
>> it seems they only use stubs to OS calls and parses a DTB for info.
>
> Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
> provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
> be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
> U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
> routerstationpro]

I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
anyone having done).  QEMU loads Linux directly.

I don't see mpc83xx support in QEMU at all.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-27 21:55     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-03-27 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 03:59:48PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Dear Frank,
> >
> > In message <CADNf2sxrQFDU0LLQWp5huRGgQiKbaLik1+2C=Oj=gjORP6XacA@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ported a PPC system to QEMU
> >> that is capable of booting U-Boot. Similar to the ARM versatilepb
> >> target, but for PPC instead. I've tried the Bamboo and MPC8544DS but
> >> it seems they only use stubs to OS calls and parses a DTB for info.
> >
> > Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
> > provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
> > be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
> > U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
> > routerstationpro]
>
> I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
> chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
> least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
> anyone having done).  QEMU loads Linux directly.

Putting my OE-guy hat on, the qemu-ppc target used is 'mac99'.  It was
switched over from prep back in January of this year.  From my own past
diggings, there's not really a newer machine option as all of the
support added to qemu from Freescale and IBM has been kvm-oriented
rather than full machine emulation oriented.  So to run U-Boot under
qemu on a BE machine, you'd need to port U-Boot over.  Or, build the
sandbox arch on a BE host, such as Linux running under qemu-ppc.  Then
it should be BE, yes?

--
Tom

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-27 21:58       ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2012-03-27 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 03/27/2012 04:55 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 03:59:48PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>>> Dear Frank,

>>> Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
>>> provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
>>> be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
>>> U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
>>> routerstationpro]
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
>> chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
>> least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
>> anyone having done).  QEMU loads Linux directly.
>
> Putting my OE-guy hat on, the qemu-ppc target used is 'mac99'.  It was
> switched over from prep back in January of this year.  From my own past
> diggings, there's not really a newer machine option as all of the
> support added to qemu from Freescale and IBM has been kvm-oriented
> rather than full machine emulation oriented.

The mpc8544ds target does support emulation now (but not enough for U-Boot).

-Scott

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-27 22:16     ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2012-03-27 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Scott Wood,

> On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Dear Frank,
> >
> > In message
<CADNf2sxrQFDU0LLQWp5huRGgQiKbaLik1+2C=Oj=gjORP6XacA@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
> >> I'm trying to figure out if anyone has ported a PPC system to QEMU
> >> that is capable of booting U-Boot. Similar to the ARM versatilepb
> >> target, but for PPC instead. I've tried the Bamboo and MPC8544DS but
> >> it seems they only use stubs to OS calls and parses a DTB for info.
> >
> > Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using?  They
> > provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
> > be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
> > U-Boot ...  [ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
> > routerstationpro]
>
> I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
> chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
> least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
> anyone having done).  QEMU loads Linux directly.
>
> I don't see mpc83xx support in QEMU at all.

Yep, either bamboo or taihu don't boot for me in qemu :-(

> -Scott

Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-28 17:13       ` Frank Svendsbøe
From: Frank Svendsbøe @ 2012-03-28 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Tom Rini <trini@ti.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 03:59:48PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
>> On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> > Dear Frank,

>> > Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using? ?They
>> > provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
>> > be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
>> > U-Boot ... ?[ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
>> > routerstationpro]
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
>> chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
>> least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
>> anyone having done). ?QEMU loads Linux directly.
>
> Putting my OE-guy hat on, the qemu-ppc target used is 'mac99'. ?It was
> switched over from prep back in January of this year. ?From my own past
> diggings, there's not really a newer machine option as all of the
> support added to qemu from Freescale and IBM has been kvm-oriented
> rather than full machine emulation oriented. ?So to run U-Boot under
> qemu on a BE machine, you'd need to port U-Boot over. ?Or, build the
> sandbox arch on a BE host, such as Linux running under qemu-ppc. ?Then
> it should be BE, yes?

KVM would be fine if I wanted to run Linux here, but I don't... Well I
do, but my current employer don't. BE is a requirement yes. In fact,
more so than running than a PPC compatible system.

Best regards,
Frank

* [U-Boot] Using qemu-system-ppc to boot U-Boot
@ 2012-03-28 17:19       ` Frank Svendsbøe
From: Frank Svendsbøe @ 2012-03-28 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Marek Vasut <marek.vasut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Scott Wood,
>
>> On 03/27/2012 03:53 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> > Dear Frank,

>> > Did you check which configurations the Yocto project are using? ?They
>> > provide qemu based emulations for ARM, MIPS, PPC and x86, and I would
>> > be really surprised if the ARM and PPC configs were not based on
>> > U-Boot ... ?[ARM: beagleboard; PPC: mpc8315e-rdb; MIPS:
>> > routerstationpro]
>>
>> I'm not familiar with what Yocto does, but at least for Freescale PPC
>> chips QEMU does not emulate enough of the hardware to run U-Boot (at
>> least, not without significant U-Boot hacking that I'm not aware of
>> anyone having done). ?QEMU loads Linux directly.
>>
>> I don't see mpc83xx support in QEMU at all.
>
> Yep, either bamboo or taihu don't boot for me in qemu :-(

Hi Marek,
taihu was my next target to test, so thanks for sparing my time. Next
would be to try to dig up a target called Walnut. Check this:
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2008-November/043400.html

I cannot see that QEMU lists walnut as a target. Maybe the patches wasn't sent?

Best regards,
Frank