* Re: URCU binary search tree
       [not found] <CADVW7qRrDRg8BxCmcts1RaZ4R_0L1Yzfxx310LHdOi4dW36GDA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-12-14 20:05 ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found] ` <241873060.34641.1513281923179.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2017-12-14 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin Agrawal; +Cc: lttng-dev

I did a URCU rbtree prototype branch around 2011, but it's not pretty, and it's complex.

I went in a different direction afterward, and did a RCU Judy Array prototype instead.

The basic problem with rbtree is that there will always be some form of
higher contention on the nodes near the top.

Anyway, the branch is there:

http://git.lttng.org/?p=userspace-rcu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rbtree2

See this Linux Plumbers Conference presentation introducing it:

http://www.efficios.com/pub/lpc2011/Presentation-lpc2011-desnoyers-urcu.pdf

Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.

Enjoy!

Mathieu

----- On Dec 14, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Navin Agrawal <anavin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have searched enough for any existing implementation of URCU based BST. But to
> no avail.

> I was keen to attempt develop it myself. But I wanted to cross if there is any
> particular reason it is not developed by anyone.

> Do let me know.

> Thanks
> Navin

Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

* Re: URCU binary search tree
       [not found] ` <241873060.34641.1513281923179.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
@ 2017-12-15  4:18   ` Navin Agrawal
       [not found]   ` <CADVW7qSbO2o9QEfk9cb5hb+b+1VsEAKwEi-qDidvZ1Pc5Nuq+w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Navin Agrawal @ 2017-12-15  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

Thanks Mathieu. Will check out your implementation.

Regards
Navin

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers <
mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did a URCU rbtree prototype branch around 2011, but it's not pretty, and
> it's complex.
>
> I went in a different direction afterward, and did a RCU Judy Array
> prototype instead.
>
> The basic problem with rbtree is that there will always be some form of
> higher contention on the nodes near the top.
>
> Anyway, the branch is there:
>
> http://git.lttng.org/?p=userspace-rcu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rbtree2
>
> See this Linux Plumbers Conference presentation introducing it:
>
> http://www.efficios.com/pub/lpc2011/Presentation-lpc2011-
> desnoyers-urcu.pdf
>
> Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Mathieu
>
> ----- On Dec 14, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Navin Agrawal <anavin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have searched enough for any existing implementation of URCU based BST.
> But to no avail.
>
> I was keen to attempt develop it myself. But I wanted to cross if  there
> is any particular reason it is not developed by anyone.
>
> Do let me know.
>
> Thanks
> Navin

> Mathieu Desnoyers
> EfficiOS Inc.
> http://www.efficios.com

* Re: URCU binary search tree
       [not found]   ` <CADVW7qSbO2o9QEfk9cb5hb+b+1VsEAKwEi-qDidvZ1Pc5Nuq+w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-12-15  8:30     ` Navin Agrawal
       [not found]     ` <CADVW7qT8QU5pUn5m4jrq9fuVR-mcCZ8Qha98ZFT+00w_Q2DBhA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Navin Agrawal @ 2017-12-15  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

One quick question Mathieu on the below note of yours.

​
Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.

Can we assume that the code is functionally working in all known scenarios?
I am trying to warm up work folks about URCU. Hence I am planning a demo
using your RB tree code.

Thanks
Navin

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Navin Agrawal <anavin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mathieu. Will check out your implementation.
>
> Regards
> Navin
>
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers <
> mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did a URCU rbtree prototype branch around 2011, but it's not pretty,
>> and it's complex.
>>
>> I went in a different direction afterward, and did a RCU Judy Array
>> prototype instead.
>>
>> ​​
>> The basic problem with rbtree is that there will always be some form of
>> higher contention on the nodes near the top.
>>
>> Anyway, the branch is there:
>>
>> http://git.lttng.org/?p=userspace-rcu.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/rbtree2
>>
>> See this Linux Plumbers Conference presentation introducing it:
>>
>> http://www.efficios.com/pub/lpc2011/Presentation-lpc2011-des
>> noyers-urcu.pdf
>>
>> ​​
>> Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> Mathieu
>>
>> ----- On Dec 14, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Navin Agrawal <anavin@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have searched enough for any existing implementation of URCU based BST.
>> But to no avail.
>>
>> I was keen to attempt develop it myself. But I wanted to cross if  there
>> is any particular reason it is not developed by anyone.
>>
>> Do let me know.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Navin

>> --
>> Mathieu Desnoyers
>> EfficiOS Inc.
>> http://www.efficios.com

* Re: URCU binary search tree
       [not found]     ` <CADVW7qT8QU5pUn5m4jrq9fuVR-mcCZ8Qha98ZFT+00w_Q2DBhA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-12-15 17:27       ` Mathieu Desnoyers
       [not found]       ` <1308685137.36035.1513358861684.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2017-12-15 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navin Agrawal; +Cc: lttng-dev

----- On Dec 15, 2017, at 3:30 AM, Navin Agrawal <anavin@gmail.com> wrote:

> One quick question Mathieu on the below note of yours.

> ​
> Note that I do _not_ consider my propotype branch to be production-ready.

> Can we assume that the code is functionally working in all known scenarios? I am
> trying to warm up work folks about URCU. Hence I am planning a demo using your
> RB tree code.

The code passed all tests when I stopped developing this branch. However, I did not
feel confident that I understood all corner-cases thoroughly enough to merge the code
into liburcu master branch.

So if things don't work as expected, it may take a lot of effort to understand why.

That's why this development branch is provided "as is",

Mathieu

> Thanks
> Navin

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Navin Agrawal < [ mailto:anavin@gmail.com |
> anavin@gmail.com ] > wrote:

>> Thanks Mathieu. Will check out your implementation.

>> Regards
>> Navin

>> On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Mathieu Desnoyers < [
>> mailto:mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com | mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com ] >

>>> Hi,

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

* Re: URCU binary search tree
       [not found]       ` <1308685137.36035.1513358861684.JavaMail.zimbra@efficios.com>
@ 2017-12-17  6:16         ` Navin Agrawal
From: Navin Agrawal @ 2017-12-17  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: lttng-dev

Got it Mathieu.

Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

Regards
Navin

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers <

* URCU binary search tree
@ 2017-12-14 19:38 Navin Agrawal
From: Navin Agrawal @ 2017-12-14 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev