* Need help related to Eudyptula Task 08
@ 2014-05-30  1:33 Rahul Garg
From: Rahul Garg @ 2014-05-30  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

I am stuck at Task 08. Problem is I have to send files and changes
using send-email utility.  As per my understanding, whenever we need
to add a new file to git, we use git add command, it creates a patch
for it and then we will send it.

But when I did it, I got response saying that you should not send new
file as a patch, So I want to know how can I send this new file then ?
And if I directly attach this file, how will I link my further 2 mails
to this original mail ?

Regards
Rahul

* Need help related to Eudyptula Task 08
@ 2014-05-30  4:04 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-05-30  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 07:03:53AM +0530, Rahul Garg wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am stuck at Task 08. Problem is I have to send files and changes
> using send-email utility.  As per my understanding, whenever we need
> to add a new file to git, we use git add command, it creates a patch
> for it and then we will send it.
>
> But when I did it, I got response saying that you should not send new
> file as a patch, So I want to know how can I send this new file then ?
> And if I directly attach this file, how will I link my further 2 mails
> to this original mail ?

I thought the rules for the challenge said that you were not supposed to
ask for help on public mailing lists / irc channels / the like?

* Need help related to Eudyptula Task 08
@ 2014-05-30  5:00 ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-05-30  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Rahul Garg <rahul.lnmiit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am stuck at Task 08. Problem is I have to send files and changes
> using send-email utility.  As per my understanding, whenever we need
> to add a new file to git, we use git add command, it creates a patch
> for it and then we will send it.
>
> But when I did it, I got response saying that you should not send new
> file as a patch, So I want to know how can I send this new file then ?
> And if I directly attach this file, how will I link my further 2 mails
> to this original mail ?

hi all,
In one of my previous mail I have requested every one not to post hints for
the tasks in the challenge. Please let us solve the tasks ourselves. I have
just cleared task 5 after many days of trying , and seriously speaking, it
has really helped me in learning a few things and cleared some of the
doubts.
if anyone wants to help , please put a personal mail to the person who has
asked for help and not to the group.

Thanks
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Need help related to Eudyptula Task 08
@ 2014-05-30  7:29   ` Manali Bhutiyani
From: Manali Bhutiyani @ 2014-05-30  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Well, Maybe he is just asking how to "send" the solution and not the
actual solution... I don't know what level 8 is, but help asked in
terms of how to install/send the answers is not really unethical
IMHO..

Just like I was not sure how to send the non base-64 attachment email
initially... just a thought..

Manali

@ 2014-05-30  7:40     ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-05-30  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Manali Bhutiyani <
manali.bhutiyani.m@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, Maybe he is just asking how to "send" the solution and not the
> actual solution... I don't know what level 8 is, but help asked in
> terms of how to install/send the answers is not really unethical
> IMHO..
>
> Just like I was not sure how to send the non base-64 attachment email
> initially... just a thought..
>

> Manali

Initially i was also not sure how to send the mail, and my first 3 -4 mails
got rejected . but ok .. i learned from that .. if some one would have told
me that do this , and do that , then i would have never known the different
options that are available. I know i will also face the same problem when i
reach task 8, but i want to solve the problem myself. and i believe sending
the solution is also a part of the task.

Sudip

@ 2014-05-30  8:07     ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2014-05-30  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Manali Bhutiyani <manali.bhutiyani.m@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, Maybe he is just asking how to "send" the solution and not the
> actual solution... I don't know what level 8 is, but help asked in
> terms of how to install/send the answers is not really unethical
> IMHO..

I suspect that learning the *process* is as much a part of this
challenge as the programming tasks. And you do learn a lot more by
figuring out stuff reading the docs, than by copying someone elses
solution.

Isn't that the whole point of the challenge?

Bj?rn