* OpenBMC Office Hours
@ 2020-09-22 17:17 Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2020-09-22 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Team OpenBMC,

As Sai stated in his learning series post, OpenBMC can appear complex
to people learning or evaluating OpenBMC.

I propose office hours, staffed by experienced volunteers where
newcomers can dial in and ask questions.  The reasoning is newcomers
aren't always sure what questions to ask and/or are intimidated by
IRC.  Office hours would be a more direct, 1:1 forum for newcomers to
get answers.  And of course volunteers would encourage the use of the
mailing list and IRC for follow up discussions.

I would like this to be low overhead for volunteers and I'm hoping to
have enough volunteers to do monthly office hours, in the volunteer's
local timezone.  Please sign up here if you're willing to volunteer.
Ideally we would have 6-12 volunteers so it would just be one hour
once or twice a year for everyone.  Please sign up by 10/16 @
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hOzYDq6kRl8RCj9Kk_kzpiUjt5bABxVRH87StK2oKnY/edit?usp=sharing
if you're interested in volunteering!

I'd also like each office hour to have signups, to make efficient use
of everyone's time.  If there are no signups within 24hrs, the office
hour would be canceled.

Thanks,
Nancy

* Re: OpenBMC Office Hours
@ 2020-09-23 15:32 ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2020-09-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen, OpenBMC Maillist

On 9/22/20 12:17 PM, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> Hi Team OpenBMC,
>
> As Sai stated in his learning series post, OpenBMC can appear complex
> to people learning or evaluating OpenBMC.
>
> I propose office hours, staffed by experienced volunteers where
> newcomers can dial in and ask questions.  The reasoning is newcomers
> aren't always sure what questions to ask and/or are intimidated by
> IRC.  Office hours would be a more direct, 1:1 forum for newcomers to
> get answers.  And of course volunteers would encourage the use of the
> mailing list and IRC for follow up discussions.

Thank you Nancy, this is great!

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

> I would like this to be low overhead for volunteers and I'm hoping to
> have enough volunteers to do monthly office hours, in the volunteer's
> local timezone.  Please sign up here if you're willing to volunteer.
> Ideally we would have 6-12 volunteers so it would just be one hour
> once or twice a year for everyone.  Please sign up by 10/16 @
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hOzYDq6kRl8RCj9Kk_kzpiUjt5bABxVRH87StK2oKnY/edit?usp=sharing
> if you're interested in volunteering!
>
> I'd also like each office hour to have signups, to make efficient use
> of everyone's time.  If there are no signups within 24hrs, the office
> hour would be canceled.
>
> Thanks,
> Nancy

* Re: OpenBMC Office Hours