* [Buildroot] linux kernel hangs without any error
@ 2011-08-18 10:58 Vasanth Ragavendran
From: Vasanth Ragavendran @ 2011-08-18 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

I am using buildroot to build the linux kernel for my amd 32 bit board. I am
using grub as the boot loader for this. After some work out I was able
install grub and use it in the board. Now the boot loader works with out any
problem. However kernel hangs without any error. I've attached this in jpg
file. I've also attached the kernel config file. the kernel version i use is
2.6.38.7. What could be the reason i'm stuck as there are no errors also
posted. i also created as mentioned in this website (under listing 4).
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-initrd/index.html.

The initrd work well and in the attachment u can see i've executed the
'exit' command from the initrd filesystem. however the real file system
doesn't work. the files used by the initrd are the same as present in the
real file system which is generated by buildroot. And i'm using ext2
filesystem generated by buildroot and converting to ext3 because linux
2.6.38.7 doesn't recognize ext2. Kindly help. Am i missing any setting in
the linux kernel config file?

Thanks and Regards
R.Vasanth Ragavendran.
* [Buildroot] linux kernel hangs without any error
@ 2011-08-19  2:28 ` Vasanth Ragavendran

From: Vasanth Ragavendran @ 2011-08-19  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

And here is the kernel config file. Plz help!

@ 2011-08-19  9:05   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2011-08-19  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Le Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:28:12 +0800,
Vasanth Ragavendran <ragavendra.2007@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> I am using buildroot to build the linux kernel for my amd 32 bit board. I am
> using grub as the boot loader for this. After some work out I was able
> install grub and use it in the board. Now the boot loader works with out any
> problem. However kernel hangs without any error. I've attached this in jpg
> file. the kernel version i use is 2.6.38.7. What could be the reason i'm
> stuck as there are no errors also posted. i also created as mentioned in
> this website (under listing 4).
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-initrd/index.html.
>
> The initrd work well and in the attachment u can see i've executed the
> 'exit' command from the initrd filesystem. however the real file system
> doesn't work. the files used by the initrd are the same as present in the
> real file system which is generated by buildroot. And i'm using ext2
> filesystem generated by buildroot and converting to ext3 because linux
> 2.6.38.7 doesn't recognize ext2. Kindly help. Am i missing any setting in
> the linux kernel config file?

See our first FAQ entry:
http://buildroot.org/downloads/buildroot.html#faq.

BTW, Linux 2.6.38.7 of course recognizes ext2, it just depends on how
it was configured.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons