* Workflow for updating the golang projects
@ 2022-07-27  7:15 Anagnostopoulos, Vasileios
From: Anagnostopoulos, Vasileios @ 2022-07-27  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what is the general workflow for updating the golang projects (e.g. k3s, nerdctl, etc)?

Thank you in advance and kind regards,

Vasileios

* Re: [meta-virtualization] Workflow for updating the golang projects
@ 2022-07-27 13:23 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-07-27 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasileios Anagnostopoulos; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:15 AM Vasileios Anagnostopoulos
<vasileios.anagnostopoulos@siemens.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>

> I was wondering what is the general workflow for updating the golang projects (e.g. k3s, nerdctl, etc)?

Right now, at least for the project / official branches, it is
something that I do in the M3 timeframe of the release :) Experience
has shown that I need to batch the dependencies, and do a significant
level of testing to get things functional.

I have some changes already queued on master-next, with more to come
in the upcoming weeks. I have a talk at Embedded Linux Europe that
uses the components as well, so that drives the timeline as well.

For smaller updates (i.e. CVEs, etc), then bumps of the individual
SRCREVs in the giant SRC_URI can be manually done, since they are more
contained. Larger updates can of course also be done like this, but
that is definitely more effort iterating the SRCREVs.

The script still exists, but is still just in my sandbox, it blew up
spectacularly when I implemented some site mapping for the golang
bits, which meant manual fixups and a day or two of work. Which meant,
I wouldn't have time to both release it and help folks fight through
issues (It really isn't great quality yet) .. so that and there's only
a general consensus on the approach to these types of recipes (some
other generation/update integrations were released, but I haven't
tried them  or had to close a look at them myself) .. and I didn't
want to confuse things more at the time those other efforts were
released.

I'm working through a K3S system level update right now, and have been
fixing more issues in the script and the recipe(s) .. with any luck,
the quality won't be so bad (and the curse words removed), once I'm
through that :P

Bruce

> Thank you in advance and kind regards,
>

> Vasileios

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II