* Feature Freeze
@ 2015-02-16 17:36 Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2015-02-16 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

I have to admit I've lost track of time a bit however the calender says
Milestone 3 (M3) finishes this week and that marks "feature freeze" for
the release. Beyond this point we have M4 which which is targeted for
bug fixing only, no extra features and no package upgrades in general.

I'm therefore looking at the list of things we'd like to get into 1.8
and trying to figure out what is missing. The things I'm thinking we'd
prefer to get in, *if* we can are:

Upgrades:
* Bluez v4/v5 switch (in master-next testing)
* Upgrade to glibc (assuming it builds and don't regress anything)
* Pulseaudio 6.0 (related to bluez in particular)
* Python 2.7.3 -> python 2.7.9 upgrade (long overdue and nearly ready)

Enhancements:
* kernel-dev: make Kconfig audit output visible (#6943) since this
  impacts our user experience
* Extended SDK containing development workflow tools
* Further integration of build-compare for package feed maintenance

Bruce: Are we at the right kernel versions we want for release for qemu
for example?

I get the feeling there may be some pieces I've forgotten, please let me
know if so. Whilst M3 technically closes now, there are probably a few
more days, as time moves forward its going to become harder to convince
me to take things though.

Cheers,

Richard

* Re: Feature Freeze
@ 2015-02-16 17:55 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2015-02-16 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Purdie; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> I have to admit I've lost track of time a bit however the calender says
> Milestone 3 (M3) finishes this week and that marks "feature freeze" for
> the release. Beyond this point we have M4 which which is targeted for
> bug fixing only, no extra features and no package upgrades in general.
>
> I'm therefore looking at the list of things we'd like to get into 1.8
> and trying to figure out what is missing. The things I'm thinking we'd
> prefer to get in, *if* we can are:
>
> Upgrades:
> * Bluez v4/v5 switch (in master-next testing)
> * Upgrade to glibc (assuming it builds and don't regress anything)
> * Pulseaudio 6.0 (related to bluez in particular)
> * Python 2.7.3 -> python 2.7.9 upgrade (long overdue and nearly ready)
>
> Enhancements:
> * kernel-dev: make Kconfig audit output visible (#6943) since this
>   impacts our user experience

To finish up 3.19, I may need to take until the end of the week. I'm
working with the 3.19 kernel meta data to make sure it is clean, before
anything will be (re)made more visible.

> * Extended SDK containing development workflow tools
> * Further integration of build-compare for package feed maintenance
>
> Bruce: Are we at the right kernel versions we want for release for qemu
> for example?

We are at 3.19 + libc-headers @ 3.19 under test now (in the -dev
kernel). I'll send out the versioned kernel recipe by mid week
to meet the freeze (it's a long weekend here, and I shouldn't even be
reading the mailing list right now :)

Cheers,

Bruce

> I get the feeling there may be some pieces I've forgotten, please let me
> know if so. Whilst M3 technically closes now, there are probably a few
> more days, as time moves forward its going to become harder to convince
> me to take things though.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

thee at its end"

* Re: Feature Freeze
@ 2015-03-04 15:20   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2015-03-04 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On 16 February 2015 at 17:36, Richard Purdie <
richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> I have to admit I've lost track of time a bit however the calender says
> Milestone 3 (M3) finishes this week and that marks "feature freeze" for
> the release. Beyond this point we have M4 which which is targeted for
> bug fixing only, no extra features and no package upgrades in general.

Judging by the number of package upgrades on the list in the last few days
not everyone saw this, so I'll repeat it just to make sure:

Milestone 3 is closed, so OpenEmbedded-Core is now Feature Frozen.  Version
upgrades are considered features.  So, no more version upgrades from now
unless you have an *awesome* reason.

I'll be occasionally collating the version upgrades that get sent into a
"later" branch for basic testing but obviously the focus from now until
release is stabilising, fixing, and releasing.  It's probably preferable to
sit on any upgrades you were doing until we thaw so they can be sent
against master instead of needing to be rebased.

Regards,
Ross

* Re: [OE-core] Feature Freeze
@ 2015-03-04 15:20   ` Burton, Ross