* isn't the check for a matching "meta" branch a bit too forgiving?
@ 2012-07-15  1:01 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2012-07-15  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

  in kernel-yocto.bbclass, in do_kernel_checkout(), isn't this check:

  git branch -a | grep -q ${KMETA}   <-- this check
  if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
          echo "ERROR. The branch '${KMETA}' is required and was not"
          echo "found. Ensure that the SRC_URI points to a valid linux-yocto"
          ... snip ...

for now, as long as KMETA always equals "meta", it's fine, but won't
that "grep" also erroneously match longer strings of which ${KMETA} is
simply a substring?

  at the very least, shouldn't that be "grep -qw ${KMETA}"?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: isn't the check for a matching "meta" branch a bit too forgiving?
@ 2012-07-15  3:35 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2012-07-15  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

Please cc me directly on these questions .. it's just by chance that I notice
these on the mailing list.

>   in kernel-yocto.bbclass, in do_kernel_checkout(), isn't this check:
>
>   git branch -a | grep -q ${KMETA}   <-- this check
>   if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>           echo "ERROR. The branch '${KMETA}' is required and was not"
>           echo "found. Ensure that the SRC_URI points to a valid linux-yocto"
>           ... snip ...
>
> for now, as long as KMETA always equals "meta", it's fine, but won't
> that "grep" also erroneously match longer strings of which ${KMETA} is
> simply a substring?

That's on purpose, multiple meta branches (substrings) used to be possible,
and will be re-enabled at some point.

>   at the very least, shouldn't that be "grep -qw ${KMETA}"?

For the same reason as above .. no. In theory it could trigger a false
positive, but
it hasn't to date and it leaves the door open for future extensions.
At the moment,
meta MUST be 'meta' anyway, something that I've already got changes queued to
address and make it more flexible.

Cheers,

Bruce

> rday

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

thee at its end"