* ATI Radeon Mobility 3470 fails with Kernel 5
@ 2022-03-24  1:02 Craig M
From: Craig M @ 2022-03-24  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx

Hi,

I'm trying to track down a problem with an ancient graphics device ATI
Radeon Mobility 3470.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18 is shipped kernel 4.18 and the radeon drivers work well.
With 18.02 and later it ships with kernel 5.0 and the radeon drivers don't.

What I'm seeing is hard to describe. It looks a lot like the scan
lines are interleaved and there's a lot of noise. It's not the typical
screen tearing, nor is it just snow (black and white noise). I can
*just* make out what it being displayed onscreen, but hurts the eyes a
lot to try and do so!

If I hold the kernel back at 4.18 things are just fine.

Some detailed info (from a working 4.18 kernel). Note that the
returned information from a 5.x kernel isn't all that much different:

$ lshw -c video
*-display
      product: RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]
      vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
      physical id: 0
      bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
      version: 00
      width: 32 bits
      clock: 33MHz
      capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
cap_list rom       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:26 memory:c0000000-c7ffffff ioport:9000(size=256)
memory:c8020000-c802ffff memory:c0000-dffff

$ modinfo radeon

filename:
/lib/modules/4.18.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
license:        GPL and additional rights description:    ATI Radeon
author:         Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.

name:           radeon
vermagic:       4.18.0-17-generic SMP mod_unload
signat:         PKCS#7
signer:
sig_key:
sig_hashalgo:   md4

I'm just trying to track down the driver changes between 4.18 and 5.0
to see what I can do to change settings. Any help  would be greatly
appreciated. I've had a quick look through
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati but I don't
know where to start (as there's no correlation between releases and
kernels, from what I can see).

Regards,
Craig.

* Re: ATI Radeon Mobility 3470 fails with Kernel 5
@ 2022-03-24  1:09 ` Craig M
From: Craig M @ 2022-03-24  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx

I should add some further information:

I have tried using Manjaro KDE, Kubuntu 20 and Kubuntu 18.03 live
disks and all exhibit this 'tearing' issue.

The problem begins rather early on in the boot sequence while the TUI
is logging the startup information and continues to be a problem as
the screen becomes graphic.

I feel that I should be able to rectify this with a setting change.

Again, Thanks for any help.
Craig.

On 3/24/22, Craig M <cmroanirgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to track down a problem with an ancient graphics device ATI
> Radeon Mobility 3470.
>
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18 is shipped kernel 4.18 and the radeon drivers work well.
> With 18.02 and later it ships with kernel 5.0 and the radeon drivers don't.
>
> What I'm seeing is hard to describe. It looks a lot like the scan
> lines are interleaved and there's a lot of noise. It's not the typical
> screen tearing, nor is it just snow (black and white noise). I can
> *just* make out what it being displayed onscreen, but hurts the eyes a
> lot to try and do so!
>
> If I hold the kernel back at 4.18 things are just fine.
>
> Some detailed info (from a working 4.18 kernel). Note that the
> returned information from a 5.x kernel isn't all that much different:
>
> $ lshw -c video
> *-display
>       product: RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]
>       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
>       physical id: 0
>       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
>       version: 00
>       width: 32 bits
>       clock: 33MHz
>       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
> cap_list rom       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
> resources: irq:26 memory:c0000000-c7ffffff ioport:9000(size=256)
> memory:c8020000-c802ffff memory:c0000-dffff
>

> $ modinfo radeon
>
> filename:
> /lib/modules/4.18.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
> license:        GPL and additional rights description:    ATI Radeon
> author:         Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.

> name:           radeon
> vermagic:       4.18.0-17-generic SMP mod_unload
> signat:         PKCS#7
> signer:
> sig_key:
> sig_hashalgo:   md4
>

> I'm just trying to track down the driver changes between 4.18 and 5.0
> to see what I can do to change settings. Any help  would be greatly
> appreciated. I've had a quick look through
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati but I don't
> know where to start (as there's no correlation between releases and
> kernels, from what I can see).
>
> Regards,
> Craig.

* Re: ATI Radeon Mobility 3470 fails with Kernel 5.0
@ 2022-03-24  6:06     ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2022-03-24  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig M; +Cc: amd-gfx, regressions

Dear Craig,

Am 24.03.22 um 02:09 schrieb Craig M:
> I should add some further information:
>
> I have tried using Manjaro KDE, Kubuntu 20 and Kubuntu 18.03 live
> disks and all exhibit this 'tearing' issue.
>
> The problem begins rather early on in the boot sequence while the TUI
> is logging the startup information and continues to be a problem as
> the screen becomes graphic.
>
> I feel that I should be able to rectify this with a setting change.
>
> Again, Thanks for any help.
> Craig.

In the future, it’d be great if instead of top-posting you used
interleaved style.

> On 3/24/22, Craig M <cmroanirgo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to track down a problem with an ancient graphics device ATI
>> Radeon Mobility 3470.
>>
>> Ubuntu/Kubuntu 18 is shipped kernel 4.18 and the radeon drivers work well.
>> With 18.02 and later it ships with kernel 5.0 and the radeon drivers don't.
>>
>> What I'm seeing is hard to describe. It looks a lot like the scan
>> lines are interleaved and there's a lot of noise. It's not the typical
>> screen tearing, nor is it just snow (black and white noise). I can
>> *just* make out what it being displayed onscreen, but hurts the eyes a
>> lot to try and do so!
>>
>> If I hold the kernel back at 4.18 things are just fine.
>>
>> Some detailed info (from a working 4.18 kernel). Note that the
>> returned information from a 5.x kernel isn't all that much different:
>>
>> $ lshw -c video
>> *-display
>>        product: RV620/M82 [Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470]
>>        vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
>>        physical id: 0
>>        bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
>>        version: 00
>>        width: 32 bits
>>        clock: 33MHz
>>        capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
>> cap_list rom       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
>> resources: irq:26 memory:c0000000-c7ffffff ioport:9000(size=256)
>> memory:c8020000-c802ffff memory:c0000-dffff
>>

>> $ modinfo radeon
>>
>> filename:
>> /lib/modules/4.18.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko
>> license:        GPL and additional rights description:    ATI Radeon
>> author:         Gareth Hughes, Keith Whitwell, others.

>> name:           radeon
>> vermagic:       4.18.0-17-generic SMP mod_unload
>> signat:         PKCS#7
>> signer:
>> sig_key:
>> sig_hashalgo:   md4

Looking at the output of `dmesg` might also help.

>> I'm just trying to track down the driver changes between 4.18 and 5.0
>> to see what I can do to change settings. Any help  would be greatly
>> appreciated. I've had a quick look through
>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati but I don't
>> know where to start (as there's no correlation between releases and
>> kernels, from what I can see).

As switching the Linux kernel version works, you need to look at the
driver in the Linux kernel. As you can easily reproduce your problem,
and you are most likely alone with this old hardware, bisecting will
probably the way to go. First you can try the packages from Ubuntu’s
Kernel PPA [1]. Figuring out, in what version the regression occurs, you
then build the Linux kernel yourself, for example with `make
bindeb-pkg`, and try to find out the exact commit. There should be some
guides on the WWW explaining all this in detail.

Kind regards and good luck,

Paul

PS: It would also be nice to know, if the problem is still present in
Linux 5.17.

[1]: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

From: Paul Menzel @ 2022-03-24  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig M; +Cc: regressions, amd-gfx

> [...]

>> kernels, from what I can see).

As switching the Linux kernel version works, you need to look at the
driver in the Linux kernel. As you can easily reproduce your problem,
and you are most likely alone with this old hardware, bisecting will
probably the way to go. First you can try the packages from Ubuntu’s
Kernel PPA [1]. Figuring out, in what version the regression occurs, you
then build the Linux kernel yourself, for example with `make
bindeb-pkg`, and try to find out the exact commit. There should be some
guides on the WWW explaining all this in detail.

Kind regards and good luck,

Paul

PS: It would also be nice to know, if the problem is still present in
Linux 5.17.

[1]: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

* Re: ATI Radeon Mobility 3470 fails with Kernel 5.0
  (?)
@ 2022-03-24 19:32     ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2022-03-24 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: Craig M, regressions, amd-gfx list

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 2:07 AM Paul Menzel <pmenzel@molgen.mpg.de> wrote:

> [...]
> >> to see what I can do to change settings. Any help  would be greatly
> >> appreciated. I've had a quick look through
> >> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati but I don't
> >> know where to start (as there's no correlation between releases and
> >> kernels, from what I can see).
>
> As switching the Linux kernel version works, you need to look at the
> driver in the Linux kernel. As you can easily reproduce your problem,
> and you are most likely alone with this old hardware, bisecting will
> probably the way to go. First you can try the packages from Ubuntu’s
> Kernel PPA [1]. Figuring out, in what version the regression occurs, you
> then build the Linux kernel yourself, for example with `make
> bindeb-pkg`, and try to find out the exact commit. There should be some
> guides on the WWW explaining all this in detail.

Yeah, as Paul said, bisecting is probably your best bet.  The radeon
driver has largely been in maintenance-only mode for the last few
years so it hasn't really seen any changes other than misc bug fixes
or cross component API changes.

Alex