* GSoC 2016
@ 2016-02-22 12:28 Mehul Sawarkar
From: Mehul Sawarkar @ 2016-02-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel

Hello,

I am Mehul Sawarkar from India .I want to be part of X.Org during GSoC
2016.I know C/C++.Please help me getting started with some easy task you
might have in mind.What are some of prospective project ideas for GSoC 2016.
I'll be happy to have your help and suggestions.

Thanks
Mehul Sawarkar

* Re: GSoC 2016
@ 2016-02-22 20:49 ` Lukas Wunner
From: Lukas Wunner @ 2016-02-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sawarkar; +Cc: dri-devel

Hi Mehul,

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 05:58:10PM +0530, Mehul Sawarkar wrote:
> I am Mehul Sawarkar from India .I want to be part of X.Org during GSoC
> 2016.I know C/C++.Please help me getting started with some easy task you
> might have in mind.What are some of prospective project ideas for GSoC 2016.
> I'll be happy to have your help and suggestions.

A few years ago there was a GSoC proposal to make hot GPU switching
a reality on Linux:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTIyMQ
https://lists.x.org/archives/xorg/2011-March/052522.html

Unfortunately nothing came of it. One still has to exit X, switch,
then restart X. It would be great to see progress in this area,
perhaps divide the work into some smaller manageable chunks
that can be worked on by multiple students.

Note that today pretty much the only dual GPU laptops that still
have an actual hardware mux are MacBook Pros. All others moved to
an architecture where the discrete GPU is merely used to offload
rendering and the results are copied over PCIe into the framebuffer
of the integrated GPU. That architecture is cheaper but less
capable. It doesn't yield the same power saving gains that are
possible with a hardware mux (which allows the integrated GPU
to be suspended when not used).

GPU switching support for pre-retina MacBook Pros (<= MBP 9,1)
is now queued for 4.6, you should be able to get one on ebay
without investing too much.

If you haven't seen it, there's also been a solicitation for
GSoC projects on xorg-devel:
https://lists.xorg-foundation.org/archives/xorg-devel/2016-February/048829.html

Best regards,

Lukas

* Re: GSoC 2016
@ 2016-02-23 10:55 ` Christian König
From: Christian König @ 2016-02-23 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehul Sawarkar, dri-devel

Hi Mehul,

Am 22.02.2016 um 13:28 schrieb Mehul Sawarkar:
> Hello,
>
> I am Mehul Sawarkar from India .I want to be part of X.Org during GSoC
> 2016.I know C/C++.Please help me getting started with some easy task
> you might have in mind.What are some of prospective project ideas for
> GSoC 2016.
> I'll be happy to have your help and suggestions.

If you want to get your hands dirty with working on a the kernel driver
I could come up with a task or two for Radeon/Amdgpu.

If you prefer some work on the userspace part of the stack I could
probably come up with some video related tasks for Mesa.

Depends a bit on you're interests, background and what graphics hardware
you have available.

Regards,
Christian.

> Thanks
> Mehul Sawarkar

* Re: GSoC 2016
@ 2016-02-23 14:29   ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2016-02-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian König; +Cc: Mehul Sawarkar, Maling list - DRI developers

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Christian König
<christian.koenig@amd.com> wrote:
> Hi Mehul,
>
> Am 22.02.2016 um 13:28 schrieb Mehul Sawarkar:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am Mehul Sawarkar from India .I want to be part of X.Org during GSoC
> 2016.I know C/C++.Please help me getting started with some easy task you
> might have in mind.What are some of prospective project ideas for GSoC 2016.
> I'll be happy to have your help and suggestions.
>

> If you want to get your hands dirty with working on a the kernel driver I
> could come up with a task or two for Radeon/Amdgpu.
>
> If you prefer some work on the userspace part of the stack I could probably
> come up with some video related tasks for Mesa.

Can you write them up for the GSOC ideas page in case anyone is interested?
http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/

Alex

> Depends a bit on you're interests, background and what graphics hardware you
> have available.
>
> Regards,
> Christian.
>

> Thanks
> Mehul Sawarkar

* GSOC 2016
@ 2016-03-09 13:55 Harisu fanyui
From: Harisu fanyui @ 2016-03-09 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel

hello developers,
 my name is Harisu fanyui and i am a second year computer engineering
student in the university  of buea  in cameroon. i  am interested in the
project
"Soft" double precision floating point support

listed on the ideas page . As stated on the project i have been programming
in the c programming language for one and a half year  and am still
learning and programming in the stated language.I am also very good in
working with the linux environment.

i am also good in digital and  numerical analysis which i think will be
very usefull for me  in the realisation of this project.

can someone tell me how to go about?
thanks.

* GSoC 2016
@ 2016-03-06 18:47 Tahir Ramzan
From: Tahir Ramzan @ 2016-03-06 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel

Respected Sir,

I am a MS CS scholar of Virtual University of Pakistan, I want to
participate in GSoC 2016 for X.Org. Data Science, Networks, Information
security, digital forensics and ethical hacking are my core areas of
interest.

Currently, I am working on a research project on live forensics of GPU and
volatile memories like RAMs and Caches.

I am looking forward your guidance to start my contribution for X.Org,
thanks in anticipation.

Regards
Tahir Ramzan

* GSoC 2016
@ 2016-02-19  7:10 Mehul Jain
From: Mehul Jain @ 2016-02-19  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello everyone,

I'm Mehul Jain. I'm looking for participating in GSoC 2016.

I've started work on a Microproject" Teach git pull --rebase the
--no-autostash" option. While looking at Git's source code I have made
following observation: In the pull.c file
1.  git_config_get_bool( , ) search in the configuration key for the
value of rebase.autostash, if found true then modify autostash's value
to a non-zero number and thus making a stash to encounter the problem
of dirty tree.
2. Here if in command line a flag "--no-autostash" is given then we
can easily set the value of autostash = 0 and thus killing the process
by die_on_unclean_work_tree(prefix).
Is my observation is right?

I'm new to open source projects and not much experienced at it. So
please correct/comment on any mistake that I made while trying to put
my point. I will also appreciate any comment/suggestion/criticism on
my observation.

Thanks