* [Buildroot] Can't reproduce libnss build failure
@ 2022-05-22 23:58 Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2022-05-22 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Hilliard; +Cc: buildroot

Hi James,

I'm dealing with libnss build failure with host gcc on your asahi-mini
autobuilder, the host gcc doesn't
like -m64 option when linking [1].

I've spent many hours trying to reproduce it on various dockers and
finally on a VM with Ubuntu 16.04
32 bits but in the first cases I can't have any build failure, while
with the latter I have a different error.

Can you please tell me specifically which distribution and distribution
version you're using on asahi-mini?
I'm on it and I'd like to fix it.

Thanks a lot
Best regards

[1]:
http://autobuild.buildroot.net/results/dffa00b04f407715b04b1dfd8d9e5e4bc62b5ba2/

---
Giulio Benetti
Benetti Engineering sas

* Re: [Buildroot] Can't reproduce libnss build failure
@ 2022-05-23  0:40 ` James Hilliard
From: James Hilliard @ 2022-05-23  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti; +Cc: buildroot

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 5:58 PM Giulio Benetti
<giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I'm dealing with libnss build failure with host gcc on your asahi-mini
> autobuilder, the host gcc doesn't
> like -m64 option when linking [1].
>
> I've spent many hours trying to reproduce it on various dockers and
> finally on a VM with Ubuntu 16.04
> 32 bits but in the first cases I can't have any build failure, while
> with the latter I have a different error.

It's an aarch64 host, not 32 bit x86.

> Can you please tell me specifically which distribution and distribution
> version you're using on asahi-mini?
> I'm on it and I'd like to fix it.

As the name implies it's asahi linux(arch based) on a mac
mini(https://asahilinux.org/).

@ 2022-05-23 21:43   ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2022-05-23 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Hilliard; +Cc: buildroot

On 23/05/22 02:40, James Hilliard wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 5:58 PM Giulio Benetti
> <giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi James,
>>
>> I'm dealing with libnss build failure with host gcc on your asahi-mini
>> autobuilder, the host gcc doesn't
>> like -m64 option when linking [1].
>>
>> I've spent many hours trying to reproduce it on various dockers and
>> finally on a VM with Ubuntu 16.04
>> 32 bits but in the first cases I can't have any build failure, while
>> with the latter I have a different error.
>
> It's an aarch64 host, not 32 bit x86.
>

>> Can you please tell me specifically which distribution and distribution
>> version you're using on asahi-mini?
>> I'm on it and I'd like to fix it.
>
> As the name implies it's asahi linux(arch based) on a mac
> mini(https://asahilinux.org/).

Aah ok. Thank you, I'm now building a docker container with buildx based
on ubuntu 20.04 for linux/arm64, let's see if it behaves the same.
I've tried with archlinux:latest but arm64 is not available, while also
agners/archlinuxarm gives me problems.
Crossed fingers.

Kind regards
---
Giulio Benetti
Benetti Engineering sas

@ 2022-05-23 22:08     ` James Hilliard
From: James Hilliard @ 2022-05-23 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti; +Cc: buildroot

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 3:43 PM Giulio Benetti
<giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:

> On 23/05/22 02:40, James Hilliard wrote:
> > On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 5:58 PM Giulio Benetti
> > <giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi James,
> >>
> >> I'm dealing with libnss build failure with host gcc on your asahi-mini
> >> autobuilder, the host gcc doesn't
> >> like -m64 option when linking [1].
> >>
> >> I've spent many hours trying to reproduce it on various dockers and
> >> finally on a VM with Ubuntu 16.04
> >> 32 bits but in the first cases I can't have any build failure, while
> >> with the latter I have a different error.
> >
> > It's an aarch64 host, not 32 bit x86.
> >

> >> Can you please tell me specifically which distribution and distribution
> >> version you're using on asahi-mini?
> >> I'm on it and I'd like to fix it.
> >
> > As the name implies it's asahi linux(arch based) on a mac
> > mini(https://asahilinux.org/).
>
> Aah ok. Thank you, I'm now building a docker container with buildx based
> on ubuntu 20.04 for linux/arm64, let's see if it behaves the same.
> I've tried with archlinux:latest but arm64 is not available, while also
> agners/archlinuxarm gives me problems.
> Crossed fingers.

If that doesn't work send me your ssh pub key and I can just give you remote
access to the mac mini for reproducing/testing, I'm not really using it for
anything other than autobuilders at the moment.

@ 2022-05-24 14:55       ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2022-05-24 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Hilliard; +Cc: buildroot

On 24/05/22 00:08, James Hilliard wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 3:43 PM Giulio Benetti
> <giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 23/05/22 02:40, James Hilliard wrote:

>>> It's an aarch64 host, not 32 bit x86.

>>> As the name implies it's asahi linux(arch based) on a mac
>>> mini(https://asahilinux.org/).
>>
>> Aah ok. Thank you, I'm now building a docker container with buildx based
>> on ubuntu 20.04 for linux/arm64, let's see if it behaves the same.
>> I've tried with archlinux:latest but arm64 is not available, while also
>> agners/archlinuxarm gives me problems.
>> Crossed fingers.
>
> If that doesn't work send me your ssh pub key and I can just give you remote
> access to the mac mini for reproducing/testing, I'm not really using it for
> anything other than autobuilders at the moment.

Thanks a lot for the proposal but after lot of trials I've been able to
build a linux/arm64 docker with Ubuntu 20.04. I already see that gcc
doesn't like -m64 option and I'm building(veeery slowly of course).
So if I start to get mad for the slowness then yes, I'll give you my
public key and access your mac-mini.

Thanks again
Best regards
---
Giulio Benetti
Benetti Engineering sas

@ 2022-05-24 19:54         ` James Hilliard
From: James Hilliard @ 2022-05-24 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giulio Benetti; +Cc: buildroot

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 8:55 AM Giulio Benetti
<giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:

> On 24/05/22 00:08, James Hilliard wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 3:43 PM Giulio Benetti
> > <giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:

> >> Aah ok. Thank you, I'm now building a docker container with buildx based
> >> on ubuntu 20.04 for linux/arm64, let's see if it behaves the same.
> >> I've tried with archlinux:latest but arm64 is not available, while also
> >> agners/archlinuxarm gives me problems.
> >> Crossed fingers.
> >
> > If that doesn't work send me your ssh pub key and I can just give you remote
> > access to the mac mini for reproducing/testing, I'm not really using it for
> > anything other than autobuilders at the moment.
>
> Thanks a lot for the proposal but after lot of trials I've been able to
> build a linux/arm64 docker with Ubuntu 20.04. I already see that gcc
> doesn't like -m64 option and I'm building(veeery slowly of course).

Yeah, figured it would be slow with emulation, FYI raspberry pi 4 is probably
a decent cheap system for reproducing aarch64 host build failures.

> So if I start to get mad for the slowness then yes, I'll give you my
> public key and access your mac-mini.

The mac mini is surprisingly fast at compiling for such a small computer,
the apple M series CPU's are pretty impressive.

I figured it would be good to run autobuilders on it to catch aarch64 host bugs
in case I pick up one of the more powerful apple aarch64 based systems
later on as a primary dev system.

@ 2022-05-24 22:07           ` Giulio Benetti
From: Giulio Benetti @ 2022-05-24 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Hilliard; +Cc: buildroot

On 24/05/22 21:54, James Hilliard wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 8:55 AM Giulio Benetti
> <giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 24/05/22 00:08, James Hilliard wrote:

>>> If that doesn't work send me your ssh pub key and I can just give you remote
>>> access to the mac mini for reproducing/testing, I'm not really using it for
>>> anything other than autobuilders at the moment.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the proposal but after lot of trials I've been able to
>> build a linux/arm64 docker with Ubuntu 20.04. I already see that gcc
>> doesn't like -m64 option and I'm building(veeery slowly of course).
>
> Yeah, figured it would be slow with emulation, FYI raspberry pi 4 is probably
> a decent cheap system for reproducing aarch64 host build failures.

Ah yes, that's a good idea

>> So if I start to get mad for the slowness then yes, I'll give you my
>> public key and access your mac-mini.
>
> The mac mini is surprisingly fast at compiling for such a small computer,
> the apple M series CPU's are pretty impressive.

Cool

> I figured it would be good to run autobuilders on it to catch aarch64 host bugs
> in case I pick up one of the more powerful apple aarch64 based systems
> later on as a primary dev system.

Awesome. Fortunately I've managed to fix the bug. I send it adding you
in Cc. Can you please give a go and add a Tested-by or Reviewed-by after
testing is possible?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards
--