* Ceph as a NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ storage backend
@ 2012-06-23 18:42 Igor Laskovy
From: Igor Laskovy @ 2012-06-23 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openstack-operators; +Cc: <openstack@lists.launchpad.net>, ceph-devel

Hi all from hot Kiev))

Does anybody use Ceph as a backend storage for NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ ?
Is it in production use? Live migration is still possible?
I kindly ask any advice of best practices point of view.

--
Igor Laskovy
facebook.com/igor.laskovy

* Re: Ceph as a NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ storage backend
@ 2012-06-25 16:03 ` Tommi Virtanen
       [not found]   ` <CAC+dAwGFSBxfHh=tP6V7CqTqYxE6=0G+oT6AZxTmY31L1f1amg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2012-06-25 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Laskovy
  Cc: openstack-operators, <openstack@lists.launchpad.net>, ceph-devel

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Igor Laskovy <igor.laskovy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all from hot Kiev))
>
> Does anybody use Ceph as a backend storage for NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ ?
> Is it in production use? Live migration is still possible?
> I kindly ask any advice of best practices point of view.

That's the shared NFS mount style for storing images, right? While you
could use the Ceph Distributed File System for that, there's a better
answer (for both Nova and Glance): RBD.

Our docs are still being worked on, but you can see the current state
at http://ceph.com/docs/master/rbd/rbd-openstack/

* Re: Ceph as a NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ storage backend
@ 2012-06-25 17:07   ` Florian Haas
       [not found]   ` <CAC+dAwGFSBxfHh=tP6V7CqTqYxE6=0G+oT6AZxTmY31L1f1amg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Florian Haas @ 2012-06-25 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Virtanen
  Cc: Igor Laskovy, openstack-operators,
	<openstack@lists.launchpad.net>,
	ceph-devel

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Tommi Virtanen <tv@inktank.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Igor Laskovy <igor.laskovy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all from hot Kiev))
>>
>> Does anybody use Ceph as a backend storage for NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ ?

Yes. http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/06/10/introducing-ceph-to-openstack/
Look at the "Live Migration with CephFS" part.

>> Is it in production use?

"Production use" would require CephFS to be production ready, which at
this point it isn't.

> Live migration is still possible?

Yes.

>> I kindly ask any advice of best practices point of view.
>
> That's the shared NFS mount style for storing images, right? While you
> could use the Ceph Distributed File System for that, there's a better
> answer (for both Nova and Glance): RBD.

... which sort of goes hand-in-hand with boot from volume, which was
just recently documented in the Nova admin guide, so you may want to
take a look: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/boot-from-volume.html

That being said, volume attachment persistence across live migrations
hasn't always been stellar in Nova, and I'm not 100% sure how well
trunk currently deals with that.

Cheers,
Florian

@ 2012-06-25 17:18     ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2012-06-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Laskovy
  Cc: openstack-operators,
	&lt,openstack@lists.launchpad.net&gt,,
	ceph-devel

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Igor Laskovy <igor.laskovy@gmail.com> wrote:
> but can I use RBD for booting instances? I would like store whole VM on the
> Ceph, not only persistent volumes (actually for my project I not prefer use
> persistent volumes at all).

OpenStack Essex does not make it convenient, but it can boot off of RBD.

We don't have really good documentation on that yet, but the relevant
resources are:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph-openstack-tools/blob/master/boot-from-volume
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-openstack-tools/blob/master/start-on-rbd.sh

@ 2012-06-25 19:50       ` Igor Laskovy
From: Igor Laskovy @ 2012-06-25 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tommi Virtanen, florian
  Cc: openstack-operators,
	&lt,openstack@lists.launchpad.net&gt,,
	ceph-devel

Thank you Florian and Tommi, I appreciated your help))