* About teuthology
@ 2012-07-31 13:59 Mehdi Abaakouk
From: Mehdi Abaakouk @ 2012-07-31 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

I have taken a look into teuthology, the automation of all this tests
are good, but are they any way to run it into a already installed
ceph clusters ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Mehdi Abaakouk for eNovance
mail: sileht@sileht.net

* Re: About teuthology
@ 2012-07-31 14:27 ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2012-07-31 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehdi Abaakouk; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 7/31/12 8:59 AM, Mehdi Abaakouk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have taken a look into teuthology, the automation of all this tests
> are good, but are they any way to run it into a already installed
> ceph clusters ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Mehdi,

I think a number of the test related tasks should run fine without
strictly requiring the ceph task.  You may have to change binary
locations for things like rados, but those should be pretty minor.

Best way to find out is to give it a try!

Mark

* Re: About teuthology
@ 2012-07-31 16:16   ` Mehdi Abaakouk
From: Mehdi Abaakouk @ 2012-07-31 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 09:27:54AM -0500, Mark Nelson wrote:
> On 7/31/12 8:59 AM, Mehdi Abaakouk wrote:
> Hi Mehdi,
>
> I think a number of the test related tasks should run fine without
> strictly requiring the ceph task.  You may have to change binary
> locations for things like rados, but those should be pretty minor.
>
> Best way to find out is to give it a try!

Thanks for your quick answer :)

I have already tried, but the code massively refers to files in
/tmp/cephtest/, it seems to me that changing the path of the
binaries isn't enough, some of them are built by the ceph task.

Perhaps a quicker (a bit dirty) way is to create a new task 'cephdist',
that prepares the required files in /tmp/cephtest.
ie:
- link dist binary to /tmp/cephtest/binary/usr/local/bin/...
- link /etc/ceph/ceph.conf to /tmp/cephtest/ceph.conf
- ship cephtest tool in /tmp/cephtest (like ceph task)
- make dummy script for coverage (because distributed ceph doesn't seem
  to have ceph-coverage)

What do you think about it ?

Cheers

--

@ 2012-07-31 17:55 ` Tommi Virtanen
From: Tommi Virtanen @ 2012-07-31 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehdi Abaakouk; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Mehdi Abaakouk <sileht@sileht.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have taken a look into teuthology, the automation of all this tests
> are good, but are they any way to run it into a already installed
> ceph clusters ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Many of the actual tests being run are already independent
functionality or stress tests or benchmarks; for example, ffsb will
run against any filesystem.

The things that are specifically written for teuthology are currently
quite tied in details.

There is a longer-term plan to rework teuthology into using
package-based installation, and at that time I hope we will be able to
modularize the tests out of the teuthology core, and to make them
easier to run from just the command line.

This work depends on a bunch of internal changes to our testing lab
infrastructure -- package-based testing is not feasible until we have
lab machine reinstallation 100% automated, and currently it still
tends to need too much manual care.

* Re: About teuthology
@ 2012-07-31 22:01     ` Josh Durgin
From: Josh Durgin @ 2012-07-31 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehdi Abaakouk; +Cc: Mark Nelson, ceph-devel

On 07/31/2012 09:16 AM, Mehdi Abaakouk wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 09:27:54AM -0500, Mark Nelson wrote:
>> On 7/31/12 8:59 AM, Mehdi Abaakouk wrote:
>> Hi Mehdi,
>>
>> I think a number of the test related tasks should run fine without
>> strictly requiring the ceph task.  You may have to change binary
>> locations for things like rados, but those should be pretty minor.
>>
>> Best way to find out is to give it a try!
>
> Thanks for your quick answer :)
>
> I have already tried, but the code massively refers to files in
> /tmp/cephtest/, it seems to me that changing the path of the
> binaries isn't enough, some of them are built by the ceph task.
>
> Perhaps a quicker (a bit dirty) way is to create a new task 'cephdist',
> that prepares the required files in /tmp/cephtest.
> ie:
> - link dist binary to /tmp/cephtest/binary/usr/local/bin/...
> - link /etc/ceph/ceph.conf to /tmp/cephtest/ceph.conf
> - ship cephtest tool in /tmp/cephtest (like ceph task)
> - make dummy script for coverage (because distributed ceph doesn't seem
>    to have ceph-coverage)
>
> What do you think about it ?

That's probably the easiest way to get it working right now, if you
want to use the teuthology-specific tests. As Tommi mentioned, the
/tmp/cephtest stuff will go away in the long term.

There may be a few more things needed to run some of the tests (e.g. the
binaries built when configured --with-debug like test_librbd,
test_rados_api_io, etc.).

Josh