* ELDK for Armv8.2
@ 2022-04-04  0:45 Ron Eggler
From: Ron Eggler @ 2022-04-04  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I'm working on a BSP that features the Reesas RZ/G2L & RZ/V2L CPUs which
have a Cortex-A55 core onthe  Arm8.2 architecture. I don't see it listed
under https://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.4. and was
wondering if there's a way to use ELDK for this Aarch64 architecture at all?

Thanks,
Ron

* Fwd: ELDK for Armv8.2
@ 2022-04-04 23:11 ` Ron Eggler
From: Ron Eggler @ 2022-04-04 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

sending this emial again, did not receive an admin response about this.
Please clarify or post to list.
Thank you

Hi,

I'm working on a BSP that features the Reesas RZ/G2L & RZ/V2L CPUs which
have a Cortex-A55 core onthe  Arm8.2 architecture. I don't see it listed
under https://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.4. and was
wondering if there's a way to use ELDK for this Aarch64 architecture at all?

Thanks,
Ron

* Re: ELDK for Armv8.2
@ 2022-04-05 12:52   ` Jerry Van Baren
From: Jerry Van Baren @ 2022-04-05 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Eggler; +Cc: u-boot

Hi Ron,

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Ron Eggler <ron.eggler@mistywest.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a BSP that features the Reesas RZ/G2L & RZ/V2L CPUs which
> have a Cortex-A55 core onthe  Arm8.2 architecture. I don't see it listed
> under https://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.4. and was
> wondering if there's a way to use ELDK for this Aarch64 architecture at
> all?

I would recommend you use Buildroot <https://buildroot.org/> to build a
cross compiler and pretty much everything else you need to boot and run
linux (or your custom code) on your CPU. It takes a bit to configure it and
a while to build from scratch, but it works very well. Buildroot makes
building a cross compiler extremely simple. Building a whole (linux based)
system is complicated only because there are many, many choices to make -
the actual building is trivial.

gvb

* Re: ELDK for Armv8.2
@ 2022-04-05 13:04     ` Jerry Van Baren
From: Jerry Van Baren @ 2022-04-05 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ron Eggler; +Cc: u-boot

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 8:52 AM Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Ron Eggler <ron.eggler@mistywest.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a BSP that features the Reesas RZ/G2L & RZ/V2L CPUs which
>> have a Cortex-A55 core onthe  Arm8.2 architecture. I don't see it listed
>> under https://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.4. and was
>> wondering if there's a way to use ELDK for this Aarch64 architecture at
>> all?

Oh, and if you are only looking for an ARM cross compiler,
Debian/Ubuntu/variants have an apt package for that which includes all the
libraries and binutils etc.
(RedHat flavors probably do too)

$ apt-cache show gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu
Package: gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu
Architecture: amd64
Version: 4:9.3.0-1ubuntu2
Multi-Arch: foreign
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 25
Depends: cpp-aarch64-linux-gnu (= 4:9.3.0-1ubuntu2),
gcc-9-aarch64-linux-gnu (>= 9.3.0-3~)
Recommends: libc6-dev-arm64-cross | libc-dev-arm64-cross
Suggests: make, manpages-dev, autoconf, automake, libtool, flex, bison,
gdb-aarch64-linux-gnu, gcc-doc
Filename:
pool/main/g/gcc-defaults/gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu_9.3.0-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
Size: 1420
MD5sum: 73d8756bb50f915099c9d4abbf50ea6e
SHA1: bd4bf15585b764d788383dc1220e93222382bf8a
SHA256: aab6daa6ffcce913e148a0c07719dc918cb1bdc1e27fbb05fb3d3b85c518a0de
Description-en: GNU C compiler for the arm64 architecture
 This is the GNU C compiler, a fairly portable optimizing compiler for C.
 .
 This is a dependency package providing the default GNU C cross-compiler
 for the arm64 architecture.
Description-md5: 69df476a1d2ab9184e2d806ac537e77d

* Re: ELDK for Armv8.2
@ 2022-04-06  0:15 Ron Eggler
From: Ron Eggler @ 2022-04-06  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gvb.uboot; +Cc: u-boot

>On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Ron Eggler <ron.eggler@mistywest.com> wrote:
>> I'm working on a BSP that features the Reesas RZ/G2L & RZ/V2L CPUs which
>> have a Cortex-A55 core onthe  Arm8.2 architecture. I don't see it listed
>> under https://www.denx.de/wiki/view/ELDK-5/WebHome#Section_1.4. and was
>> wondering if there's a way to use ELDK for this Aarch64 architecture at
>> all?
>>
>I would recommend you use Buildroot <https://buildroot.org/> to build a
>cross compiler and pretty much everything else you need to boot and run
>linux (or your custom code) on your CPU. It takes a bit to configure it and
>a while to build from scratch, but it works very well. Buildroot makes
>building a cross compiler extremely simple. Building a whole (linux based)
>system is complicated only because there are many, many choices to make -
>the actual building is trivial.

Instead of Buildroot, I have now built a distribution that I can use on the
platform with Yocto and it does give me U-Boot as well as an SDK with it as
well.

Thanks!