* Review for 8422 ( DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR )
@ 2016-02-18 14:36 sujith h
From: sujith h @ 2016-02-18 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

I have pushed changes to :
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sujith/set_dldir_sstatedir

The top 5 commits comprises for the change. It would be nice to have review
comments for the same.

Thanks,
Sujith H

--
സുജിത് ഹരിദാസന്
Bangalore

* Re: Review for 8422 ( DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR )
@ 2016-02-25 11:36 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2016-02-25 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sujith h, toaster

On 18/02/2016 15:36, "toaster-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of sujith
h" <toaster-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of sujith.h@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I have pushed changes to :
>http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sujith/set_d
>ldir_sstatedir
><http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sujith/set_
>dldir_sstatedir>

I've tried this briefly. From the UI side of things, it's pretty much ok,
but I am not sure if it's working as expected. This is what I did:

* I tried to start Toaster with an existing sqlite file, but I got a
migration error

django.db.utils.OperationalError: no such table:
orm_customimagerecipe_packages
Failed migrations, aborting system start
Failed start.

I think that file was created with the latest toaster-next: maybe the
branch just needs rebasing.

* I created a project and left the default values for DL_DIR and
SSTATE_DIR (build/downloads and build/sstate-cache)

* Built zlib

* I changed the DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR values from the bitbake variables
page in the project configuration to build/down and build/sstate
respectively

* rebuilt zlib

My build directory now has build/downloads, build/down, build/sstate-cache
and build/sstate directories. But the build did not create anything inside
build/down or build/sstate. Then I deleted the build/downloads and
build/sstate-cache and ran another build: nothing was created in the
build/down directory, but some sstate files where generated and stored in
build/sstate. Then I removed the /tmp directory, and in that case yes:
sources were downloaded to /build/down and sstate files stored in
build/sstate.

Now, this might be the expected behaviour, but I somehow assumed that if I
changed the location of the DL_DIR, the build would disregard sources
downloaded to any other directory and download again everything. But that
could be a completely wrong assumption.

One thing I've not tested is what happens if you set DL_DIR or SSTATE_DIR
to a location outside of the build directory.

Also, on a previous occasion I tried this branch, I was able to start it
with a an existing sqlite file. When I tried to create a project, I got
this error:

http://imgur.com/R6KREsq

Cheers

Belén

@ 2016-03-17 19:08   ` Ed Bartosh
From: Ed Bartosh @ 2016-03-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barros Pena, Belen; +Cc: toaster

Hi Sujith and Belen,

I've modified this patchset to work with per project directories.
Modified patchset is in contrib branch
ed/toaster/project-build-dir-7880-cancel-dldir_sstatedir

The branch contains all 3 patchsets: per project build directory,
build cancel and dldir_sstatedir.

I updated default values in both oe and poky toasterconf.json
and modified view.py that both directories are at the same level
as build directories. This way projects can share them.

I noticed one UI issue: if I press 'Create project' button
without modifying variables I get an error 'Fields missing: dldir,
sstatedir'. Other than that patchset worked for me.

Regards,
Ed

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:36:28AM +0000, Barros Pena, Belen wrote:

> On 18/02/2016 15:36, "toaster-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of sujith
> h" <toaster-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of sujith.h@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >

> >I have pushed changes to :
> >http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sujith/set_d
> >ldir_sstatedir
> ><http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sujith/set_
Hi Sujith and Belen,

I've modified this patchset to work with per project directories.
Modified patchset is in contrib branch
ed/toaster/project-build-dir-7880-cancel-dldir_sstatedir

I've updated default values in toasterconf and modified view.py
that both directories are at the same level as build directories.
This way projects can share them.

I've noticed one UI issue: if I press 'Create project' button
without modifying variables I get an error 'Fields missing: dldir,
sstatedir'.
> >dldir_sstatedir>
>
> I've tried this briefly. From the UI side of things, it's pretty much ok,
> but I am not sure if it's working as expected. This is what I did:
>
> * I tried to start Toaster with an existing sqlite file, but I got a
> migration error
>
> django.db.utils.OperationalError: no such table:
> orm_customimagerecipe_packages
> Failed migrations, aborting system start
> Failed start.
>

> I think that file was created with the latest toaster-next: maybe the
> branch just needs rebasing.
>
> * I created a project and left the default values for DL_DIR and
> SSTATE_DIR (build/downloads and build/sstate-cache)
>
> * Built zlib
>
> * I changed the DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR values from the bitbake variables
> page in the project configuration to build/down and build/sstate
> respectively
>
> * rebuilt zlib
>
> My build directory now has build/downloads, build/down, build/sstate-cache
> and build/sstate directories. But the build did not create anything inside
> build/down or build/sstate. Then I deleted the build/downloads and
> build/sstate-cache and ran another build: nothing was created in the
> build/down directory, but some sstate files where generated and stored in
> build/sstate. Then I removed the /tmp directory, and in that case yes:
> sources were downloaded to /build/down and sstate files stored in
> build/sstate.
>
> Now, this might be the expected behaviour, but I somehow assumed that if I
> changed the location of the DL_DIR, the build would disregard sources
> downloaded to any other directory and download again everything. But that
> could be a completely wrong assumption.
>
> One thing I've not tested is what happens if you set DL_DIR or SSTATE_DIR
> to a location outside of the build directory.
>
> Also, on a previous occasion I tried this branch, I was able to start it
> with a an existing sqlite file. When I tried to create a project, I got
> this error:
>
> http://imgur.com/R6KREsq
>

> Cheers
>
> Belén
>

> >The top 5 commits comprises for the change. It would be nice to have
> >review comments for the same.
> >

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Sujith H
> >
> >--
> >സുജിത് ഹരിദാസന്
> >Bangalore
> ><Project>Contributor to KDE project
> >
> ><Project>Contributor to Yocto project
> >
> >http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign
> ><Blog> http://sujithh.info

Ed

* Re: Review for 8422 ( DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR )
@ 2016-03-18 12:16     ` sujith h
From: sujith h @ 2016-03-18 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

Hi Ed,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Ed Bartosh <ed.bartosh@linux.intel.com>
wrote:

> Hi Sujith and Belen,
>
> I've modified this patchset to work with per project directories.
> Modified patchset is in contrib branch
> ed/toaster/project-build-dir-7880-cancel-dldir_sstatedir
>
> The branch contains all 3 patchsets: per project build directory,
> build cancel and dldir_sstatedir.
>
> I updated default values in both oe and poky toasterconf.json
> and modified view.py that both directories are at the same level
> as build directories. This way projects can share them.
>
> I noticed one UI issue: if I press 'Create project' button
> without modifying variables I get an error 'Fields missing: dldir,
> sstatedir'. Other than that patchset worked for me.

With the help of Michael, I added value to the input field and that fixed
the issue. I have updated the branch:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=ed/toaster/project-build-dir-7880-cancel-dldir_sstatedir

Michael, Elliot can you help me reviewing the changes.

Belen it would be nice if you can spare some time testing this patch.

Thanks,
Sujith H

--

@ 2016-03-18 15:44       ` Smith, Elliot
From: Smith, Elliot @ 2016-03-18 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sujith h; +Cc: toaster

Hello Sujith. Thanks for your work on this, it is working fine for me. I
have a few comments below.

On 18 March 2016 at 12:16, sujith h <sujith.h@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Ed Bartosh <ed.bartosh@linux.intel.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've modified this patchset to work with per project directories.
>> Modified patchset is in contrib branch
>> ed/toaster/project-build-dir-7880-cancel-dldir_sstatedir
>>
>> The branch contains all 3 patchsets: per project build directory,
>> build cancel and dldir_sstatedir.
>>
>> I updated default values in both oe and poky toasterconf.json
>> and modified view.py that both directories are at the same level
>> as build directories. This way projects can share them.
>>
>> I noticed one UI issue: if I press 'Create project' button
>> without modifying variables I get an error 'Fields missing: dldir,
>> sstatedir'. Other than that patchset worked for me.
>>

> With the help of Michael, I added value to the input field and that fixed
> the issue. I have updated the branch:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=ed/toaster/project-build-dir-7880-cancel-dldir_sstatedir
>
> Michael, Elliot can you help me reviewing the changes.
>

> Belen it would be nice if you can spare some time testing this patch.

We have all had a look at the patches, and on reflection, we're not sure
exposing the variables in the new project page is a good thing. Most users
probably won't want to do this.

For users who want to edit this value, they can do that afterwards via the
project configuration page's "Bitbake variables". The important thing is
that a sensible default is set when a project is created.

So, apologies for asking you to undo some of the work you've done, but
would it be possible to remove the "new project" page fields for editing
the DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR variables, and the associated JS code? We only
really need the code which sets these variables for a project.

I think this just means removing the top two commits of Ed's branch. My
suggestion would be to do that in a new branch based off Ed's. If you're
happy to do this, could you then please send a link to the new branch back
to the list? Brian (the tech lead for Toaster) is going to look at Ed's
work shortly, and it would be great if we could get these remaining changes
into Ed's branch.

Thanks again for your contributions.
Elliot

> [...]
>> in
>> > build/sstate. Then I removed the /tmp directory, and in that case yes:
>> > sources were downloaded to /build/down and sstate files stored in
>> > build/sstate.
>> >
>> > Now, this might be the expected behaviour, but I somehow assumed that
>> if I
>> > changed the location of the DL_DIR, the build would disregard sources
>> > downloaded to any other directory and download again everything. But
>> that
>> > could be a completely wrong assumption.
>> >
>> > One thing I've not tested is what happens if you set DL_DIR or
>> SSTATE_DIR
>> > to a location outside of the build directory.
>> >
>> > Also, on a previous occasion I tried this branch, I was able to start it
>> > with a an existing sqlite file. When I tried to create a project, I got

Elliot Smith
Software Engineer
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: Review for 8422 ( DL_DIR and SSTATE_DIR )
@ 2016-03-20  5:47         ` sujith h
From: sujith h @ 2016-03-20  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Smith, Elliot; +Cc: toaster