* [Buildroot] including full external-toolchain
@ 2020-07-24 12:38 kyle nahrgang
From: kyle nahrgang @ 2020-07-24 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

In an effort to reduce my build time, I've switched to building an external
toolchain separately from my other projects. When I import this toolchain,
I notice that only the cross compilation tools get linked, and all other
host utilities are rebuilt.

Is there a reason that buildroot doesn't import all of the host utilities?
Or skip host dependencies that are already installed in the host output?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] including full external-toolchain
@ 2020-07-25  8:46 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2020-07-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 08:38:18 -0400
kyle nahrgang <kyle.nahrgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> In an effort to reduce my build time, I've switched to building an external
> toolchain separately from my other projects. When I import this toolchain,
> I notice that only the cross compilation tools get linked, and all other
> host utilities are rebuilt.
>
> Is there a reason that buildroot doesn't import all of the host utilities?
> Or skip host dependencies that are already installed in the host output?

Buildroot today does not have the logic to detect which host tools are
already provided, and when they are provided, if they have the right
version. So we're not re-using any host tools, with a few exceptions
(cmake for example).

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] including full external-toolchain
@ 2020-07-28 13:38   ` kyle nahrgang
From: kyle nahrgang @ 2020-07-28 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Is there a reason that there shouldn't maybe be an advanced option to just
accept all tools from the toolchain, and skip building any host items?